1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What exactly happens when you brake?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Aug 27, 2004.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Judging from many posts in this and other forums, it would seem that the brake pads grab the disks only during emergency braking and below 8 mph. If this is true, the brakes pads should last the life of the car.

I suspect that the pads grab the disks almost as frequently as in other cars. Can someone explain what happens in clear and simple English?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually that isnt true. the brakes do engage at first when the brakes are touched. but then the "urgency" is gauged and then the primary stopping force is switched over to the regen motor. (the biggest reason for this is the regen doesnt react quite fast enough therefore in case emergency braking is neccessary, the hydraulics work first.)

here is a chart of what happens during braking.

http://priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=718

as you can see; initially, the main braking force is friction, but that quickly drops off as the power rises to the regen braking. as you can see very light braking will be all regen. (but we already knew that)

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

as simple as I can explain it is that MG2 (main drive motor) is a permanent magnet motor which means it's also a permanent magnet generator. When your going down the road and you apply light pressure on the brake pedal the computer see's that as a command to generate electricity and send it to the battery, which it does in increasing amount the more you press on the brake pedal, at a certain point your request for slowing the car down exceeds the amount of torque the motor can generate so the brakes now are assisted with friction braking. That's the clearest I can submit.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look at the PDF for a very detailed description of the braking mechanism and exactly how it works.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee.. rather complicated explanation considering the chart i posted says the same thing but much simpler.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try to keep things in the "colorful pictures and shiny objects" arena for you in the future Dave!! :wink: :D :p

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well thank you!!

actually now that i look at it, i realize that our posts were practically simultaneous.

sooo you take care of the high tech crowd and ill aim for the picture and illustration crowd.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and here I'm gonna step right on Dave's turf. I finally located the diagram I was looking for comparing the braking patterns of the classic and new prius and the dramatic improvement in regenerative braking (I think Frank will particularly appreciate this).

10. Frank Hudon

I realise that the expanded range exists, never questioned it. The difference is really very small in a practical sense. The major increase comes as a result of the difference of the HV battery terminal voltage I suspect. 500 verses 273 and the increased torque it'll apply to the MG's to get more braking effect. Brake (regen is still limited to 80%BSOC) useage depends on pedal pressure, so I guess I'll have to cut a line and install a pressure switch to see what all is going on.

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Evan's pretty picture suggests that in the 2004 models, the hydraulics are NOT used initially as they seem to be in the prior model.

12. Frank Hudon

my understand is that it's speed of application dependent. The faster the brake pedal is depressed the sooner the hydraulic side come into effect. Slow pedal depression and regen, fast and friction brakes then regen to assist.

13. smtrader

smtrader Member

brake pads?

So will prius brake pads last longer than other cars? Assuming normal brake usage.

14. Frank Hudon

the Vancouver Yellow Cab Prius Taxi used two sets of front pads in 230,000 Km's.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still think those diagrams make no sense. Is braking behavior really time-dependent, rather than velocity-dependent? If you are travelling downhill, and applying steady brake pressure to maintain a constant speed, will braking characteristics change over time???

Or is the time to maximum on that graph so small that we can effectively ignore it and look at the steady-state portion of the graph, showing that in fact, there is no friction braking on the '04 unless you apply a lot of pedal pressure? (And in the '03, there is only a very brief momentary application of friction braking.)

Evan's pdf really doesn't say anything about this, but reading farther along, about how the VSC works, I'm really glad I have it! Once I made a left turn at an icy intersection and heard the VSC alarm. My car slowed down slightly, but otherwise maintained a perfect turning arc. Cool car!

16. Frank Hudon

Daniel asks, If you are travelling downhill, and applying steady brake pressure to maintain a constant speed, will braking characteristics change over time???

it will change over time because the battery charge acceptance rate does change. You will have to slowly apply more pedal pressure to keep the same rate of regen. Now whether you will find a hill long enough to see this is another thing.

17. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why can't I display Evan's picture? I get the title, description, size, etc. all within horizontal margins, but no image. The "priuschat" cookies are allowed, are there other cookies that need to be allowed?
    Thanks, Hank

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your firewall probably has Ad blocker turned on...turn it off or just click the picture and I think it should open up.

19. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That was it, thanks Evan.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Daniel you are right, the braking is time dependent in a sense as there are two different mechanisms for braking , a preferred method (regen) and friction. however, friction works faster and therefore will when needed be the bulk of the braking. and in the new 04's even under emergency conditions, the bulk of the braking will go to the regen side as soon as the regen builds up. it s just that will all things considered equal, the computer will stop the car with whatever is available and friction is simply available first.