1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What experiences with the Aisin water pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tom Mayor, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I am about to do major maintenances on my 3rd gen Prius 2010 147 500 miles that includes the replacement of the water pump. I have been looking for a reliable model and it happens that the Aisin that can purchased on Amazon/Ebay and divers car parts website is the EXACT same as the one found 2x more expensive at Toyota dealerships, the only difference is the Toyota logo that is covered on the "generic" version. I have heard that these pumps sometimes didn't last a really long time, which is the case with the "official" Toyota pumps too... Since the original pump was made 10+ years ago I doubt the quality is the same those days anyway. I have heard that some 3rd gen model had the original water pump for more than 200 000 miles. I wish the new one can last pretty long time! Any good experiences with Aisin ?

Thanks !

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are two different questions involved in your post:

1. First, suppose you have obtained a pump actually made by Aisin, the company that makes them for Toyota, but this one was sold through another channel and with the Toyota logo ground off. The only question in this case is: how did Aisin decide this pump would be one of the ones they grind the logo from and sell on other channels, instead of one of the ones they sell to Toyota?
    2. Second, suppose you have obtained a pump from Amazon/Ebay where the seller said it's a genuine Aisin pump exactly the same as they'd sell to Toyota except with the logo ground off. Now you have the same question as (1), plus the question of whether this pump was ever even made by Aisin at all.

3. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I guess it's just a matter of marketing then....

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think he was hinting that the ones with the ground off Aisin wording may be factory seconds in case #1.

And in case #2, they may be counterfeit knockoffs of dubious quality.

But that's just my interpretation of what was implied.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Brian1954 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    return it and grab one from an online dealer, too many counterfeit car parts out there