1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What features are lost replacing OEM stereo with aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Keith Elkin, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm picking up a 2013 Prius Persona tonight and was wondering...

I have a Pioneer aftermarket stereo with lifetime XM subscription on it which I'm very happy with, I'm not sure if I'm going to but I may consider replacing the OEM stereo with my aftermarket.. especially so I don't have to pay for a SiriusXM subscription that I already have a lifetime sub of. (It doesn't appear you can transfer a lifetime subscription to an OEM radio)

If I replace the OEM stereo, will I lose any of the functionality of the car's controls? I know on some cars the trip computer, performance monitors, health status, etc.. is integrated into the OEM stereo and you lose that functionality and sometimes even the built in screen when you remove the OEM stereo...
    -Keith

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    On my 2004 Prius The controls from the Prius MFD were lost as were the audio controls via the steering wheel (although these can be enabled by installing a 3rd party smart interface)

JeffD

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My main concern was that you lose your vehicle systems set up controls. Things like toggling your Vehicle Customization controls would be lost. No more toggling things like DLR's, headlamp timer, auto door lock, etc.

4. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry. I have another question but I'll post it in the correct place.