1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"What Global Warming Looks Like"

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 3, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, I know weather != climate but:
    Page 2: This US Summer Is 'What Global Warming Looks Like' - ABC News

Warming is not likely to be universal but more likely to be spotty. I checked another NOAA map and it looks like Australia is getting a break, running cooler, as is Antarctica. So next winter, we might have record cold in North America or more likely, record snows.

Bob Wilson

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So because America is in the middle of a heat wave that is proof of Global Warming?

We've had our wettest summer ever! And in the UK that's saying something! It's been cold, wet, damp with daytime temps barely getting over 15c/59f and night times down to 3 or 4c/39f! I'm annoyed as I've had to have my heating system running in the evenings and I object to that :)

The Modern Parents1.jpg

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its a common misconception, to try to generalize your experience into the common trend.
    "Once I ate blueberries and then my car broke down. Never again! Had to spend 100500 for repairs. Be careful over there!"

Thanks,
    - Alex

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, of course not. But it is an indicator. A Much stronger indicator of global warming would be the number of record high temperatures vs record low temperatures over the entire globe.

The UK's weather is actually fascinating as it is, as I understand it, affected far more by ocean currents than most other regions.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is the increased, fresh-water melt from the Arctic and Greenland reduces the flow of Gulf Stream that bring warmer weather to the UK. There was a paper from a recent thread about the more rapidly increasing sea level along the area between Cape Hatteras and Cape Cod. The paper postulates global warming has slowed the current and led to the higher, measured sea level on this side of the Gulf Stream.
    Global warming may lead to colder winters in Britain - Environment - The Independent

Bob Wilson

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the Gulf stream were to not reach as far as the UK, you might have to plan for Alaska like climate, GrumpyCabby.

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is the weather extreme highs, lows, wets and drys that are the example of the weather machine moving inexorably to a warmer global temperatures with rising seas.
    Better get used to it, shifting of the Gulf Stream, is going to drop UK temps down and part of global warming. Ironically as UK oil and natural gas fields are depleted, it starts getting colder and colder. Global warming will raise planetary temp 3 degrees but UK temps will drop 10 degrees.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol you sure about that? Where I live is exactly 54 degrees North which I've noticed is above Edmonton in Canada. Does that mean we're going to get cold Canadian winters or will the heat of the Atlantic help keep us warm still? We have had a few really cold winters lately (n)

British winter was the coldest for 31 years | UK news | guardian.co.uk
    Britain endures coldest night of winter | UK news | guardian.co.uk

9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
  10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh they never died out. I know a pub where most of them still drink!

spiderman likes this.
  11. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 20 years of climate change science are pretty sure about it. Not to worry, it will still be slow and we'll all be gone but our kids are going to be cursing us for the mess we are leaving them.

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I resemble that remark. Actually, it sounds like we are having the same kind of summer as GC... damp and cool. Just last week, we had fresh snow on some of the taller peaks!

13. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't have the climate of Edmonton, (which is protected from the ocean by multiple moutains ranges). What the UK is mor likely to look Ike is Dutch Harbour, or Kodiak.

The fact that the UK and AK are cooler than normal is logically constant with amny models predictions. Changes in ocean currents affect wide areas greatly, (as evidenced by the current climate in the UK, and Coastal AK. ). The really sad thing is that some don't seem to get the connection, and ergo can say, "it snowed last week therefore the climate can't be changing"

Icarus

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where? Name somewhere I've heard of :)

15. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look it up! Both Alaskan communities, about as far north as northern Scotland.

Icarus

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard trenberth absolutely butcher this point in the most retarded fashon on pbs. He was trying to say if the weather is bad it must be caused by warming. Weather is not climate. Period. Don't look at one summer in a small area of the globe.

Global warming looks like a bunch of boring temperature charts. What you are seeing is local weather. We can dial up past fires, huricanes, dust bowls, etc and they look like the same local weather.

Don't be fooled by that guy on tv making the claims. The science doesn't look like the evening news or even the single season noaa map. Its a boring old multidecadal chart.

alekska likes this.
  17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    au contraire, I haven't seen new snow on the mountain tops in the summer here but like one time in the last 22 years. Not to mention the damp, cool summers we have been having for the last five. The climate is changing.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm pretty calm about weather vs climate. Just more is going on than our dispassionate review of the science, facts, and data. There is a sales-job from some quarters to dismiss empirical data and an open minded search to understand.

I remember the snows from last winter when FOX went out of their way to say, 'see global warming isn't happening.' So it is an ill-wind that blows no good and the current heat wave combined with massive power outages might make a few FOX lemmings wonder . . . if even for a brief moment. Sen. Inhof's book coming out the same week record warm temperature records are reported, serendipity.

Several years ago, Europe and Russia had a pretty impressive heat wave. Then Australia had their time in the hot seat and massive fires. South America has also had its time in the oven. I have no problem if these periodic events make it harder for the skeptics, the hoax believers.

Bob Wilson

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They hear warming and assume that means everything will get hot. What it really means is the system(earth) will hold onto more of the energy absorbed by the sun. The energy is heat energy, but some will be converted to kinetic energy in the form of winds. Which can lead to shifts in air currents. If the jet stream spends more time up north, it can mean more cold air coming down south.

20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's whats happening here. Much colder winters but often sunny or clear with lots of blue sky. Spring is dry and warm(er), summer is a wash out; almost a rainy season with major flash floods in places that haven't ever flooded in 500 years, Autumn/fall is wet, winter is cold and clear. It's all been weird for the last 4 or 5 years with the last 3 being very extreme.

Prior to the last 5 years, the weather in the UK had been boring, mild winter, wet spring, warm but mild summer, colder autumn. Now it's all madness. Insurance is now becoming an issue and impossible to find in certain areas due to the threat of flash flooding which we never really had before.