1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What grade of fuel the Gen III really needs ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by szgabor, Jul 30, 2009.

1. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was reading the the manual and was surprised to find that the it says the gasoline should have no less the 88 octane max 10% ethanol. Around here, New York City, only 87 and 89 exist with 10% ethanol. BTW, I have not seen a gas station which sells pure gasoline around here since 2000 or so.

I would like to know if a keep using the regular (87) would be harmful the the engine, and/or effect the MPG.

Also, is it possible that the 10% ethanol could account for the infamous 5% MPG over calculation by the computer ... I had only filled up once yesterday, so not yet on calculated my data by hand.

I hope someone with automotive knowledge could elaborate on this. I have read the general explanation on the myth of using higher grade gasoline in modern car. But I am specifically interested if my Gen III Prius could or should be using regular.

Thanks,

Gabor

2. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    nice first post asking a question that has been asked and answered at least 5 times already in this forum - you should search the forum before you ask a question - hell - google it and you will be pointed to the priuschat threads that already exist on this topic

rant over

the manual is wrong - a typo - supposed to say 87, officially per Toyota

my manual has a sticker on it saying 7 vs 8

2 people like this.
  3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    88 was apparently a typo in the owners manual, and the new version says 87.

1 person likes this.
  4. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

My apologies.... I was searching numerous time for "fuel grade" with variations with Gen III 2010 nothing ...

You are right I should have searched for 88 Octane :( silly me ....

Well my dealer did not say (I did not asked but assumed that there is no change).... so I am relieved now and shit I put half 87 half 89 at my first fill up just to make sure but figured I should ask because this can not be right.

Cheers,

Gabor

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This issue has been discussed and it took a while but verification from Toyota was that it was a typo.

However, if Toyota knows it was a typo, and evidently 2010's are still being sold with manuals with the typo and without the corrective sticker, then Toyota should be informing there dealers to make sure new owners are clear. How hard to post in each dealership a memo to remind new owners taking delivery that 87 octane is fine and that the owners manual might reflect a typo?

If I'm a salesman, service manager, or Dealership manager I'm thinking I score points with my new customer if I clearly inform my new customer and potential repeat customer of this information.

Before verification was obtained the fuel grade debate was causing considerable angst among many owners and would be owners. You are not alone in that respect. Kudos for being sharp enough to read the manual and dedicated enough to respond by going to the trouble of filling your tank 1/2 and 1/2. Raspberries to Toyota for the initial "typo" and to some dealers for not making sure it is 100% clear what grade fuel should be used.

2 people like this.
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here are the search results for "88 octane":

Google

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. seanu

seanu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice smart nice person replies, run the least expensive name brand fuel, every 6 months or so dump in a bottle of Techron. You will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  8. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  10. 3treasures

3treasures New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, I just picked up my new 2010 with Nav on Tuesday and my manual has 88 (although to be fair to Toyota it was a demo with 3k on it already so perhaps I had the before-emendation edition). I was looking for exactly this info on which grade of gas to use when I eventually need to fill it up:) and found it here. I was afraid to ask a question that had been answered so I read all 29 pages of this thread before posting, and sure enough my question was answered on page 28!

Thanks!

11. kaptmorgan

kaptmorgan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice post I learned something!