1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happened to Consumer Reports?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 12, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I picked up their "New Cars" magazine to see how pissed it might make me and read it. What happened?
    • Prius "77 Overall Score" (pp. 172) - the rest of their review actually reads reasonable including,"In our tests the Prius returned 52 mpg overall ..." A fair report that matched what we'd seen in the earlier model Prius.
    • Prius Prime "77 Overall Score" (pp. 173) - their review is fairly accurate including what we've learned about cold weather. Outstanding, they reported "CR overall mpg 69".
    • BMW i3 "66 Overall Score" (pp. 72) - Given we had a broken motor mount bolt, I can't really fault their review. Looking at their Chevy Volt review, they are still learning how to review a plugin hybrid but this is a good start.
    • Well organized data tables - so you can find a cross reference technical details.
    I tried to subscribe only to discover their web page hints at a big chance coming February 14. Amazon claims they can sell a subscription and Publisher's Clearing House seem confused and barren of Consumer Reports as an offering. So I'll wait a few more days and see what happens. Regardless, what I've read this weekend cures a lot of ills.

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I looked today to see what the new bit is and they now have four membership levels, beginning with basic, which is free... then print, which is $30, Digital for $35 and All Access for $55. Link is below.

Caution, my memory sometimes plays tricks, I may have the prices incorrect.

Personally, our area library system gives free online access to CR's database from home or from inside the library, so I do not foresee the need to ever subscribe again (I did subscribe for a few years back in the 1990s).

BTW, the basic looks worthless, print, you get the magazine. Digital, you have online access to ratings, reviews etc. and the all access gives you your own "personal" guru to call whenever you have questions about the best products vs. the worst.

Join Consumer Reports

#2 Stevewoods, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last time I subscribed was for one month, at a signficantly higher rate. They thoughtfully auto-renewed me for several months before I caught on...

m.wynn, padroo and Stevewoods like this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had a subscription to Consumer Report for years.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With the change< guess I should check to see if the library still has free access to the CR data from home.