1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happened to Plus Performance Package?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by steve.miller, Nov 23, 2011.

1. steve.miller

steve.miller New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In placing my advance order for the PIP last week I was surprised that there was no option to select the Plus Performance Accessory Package, and was later told by the dealer (and by Toyota in a chat session) that it would not be available for the 2012 plug-in. The 2012 Prius Mid-Cycle Refresh Official Details article posted 9/21 indicated otherwise. Does anyone know why Toyota changed their mind about this, and if it's safe to assume that add-on components for the 2011 Prius would be compatible with the 2012 plug-in? Thanks!

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No it would NOT be safe to assume the 2011 parts would fit the 2012.

3. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good luck getting the 2011 parts anyway. I wanted to retrofit my 2010, and Toyota will not sell either the components or the entire kit without a valid VIN that was shipped with the Plus option in the first place. I totally don't understand their unwillingness to make TONS of cash reselling this option package. I guess they want people to replace their entire Prii for some reason. To fill the niche, there are some aftermarket companies already offering similar packages for about the same price.

:pout:

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just kinda assumed that with the expanding of The Prius "family" each family member was a unique individual.

So The Plug In Prius...is the Plug In Prius...and not necessarily tied to the same packages or option availability as a standard Hybrid Prius.

The Performance Package contains:

• Seven-piece aerodynamic body kit includes uniquely styled rear diffuser, front and rear bumper spoilers, and side skirts
    • 17-inch unique forged wheels
    • 215/45R17 tires
    • Lowering springs
    • Rear sway bar
    • Floormats with PLUS logo
    • PLUS exterior badge

My guess would be it's daunting enough to launch a new product in the form of the Plug In Prius, but to launch it AND also offer a substantially different performance update simultaneously?

I'd expect going forward, Toyota themselves might expand the Performance Package to The Plug In Prius...and/or I'd expect aftermarket options to emerge. But I can understand at least initially, where Toyota might want to simply get the Plug In Prius itself on the ground and running before offering and expansive performance package option.

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The wider tires and lowering springs are both drawbacks to a PIP.

The tires have higher rolling resistance lowering the EV range.

The slight increased weight from the battery in the PIP (~90 pounds) will cause a slightly lower rear end with the stock springs and using the old Plus package springs might be too low in Toyota's eyes with the increased weight. 90 pounds isn't much but for a conservative corporation it might be enough to make them test and design new parts for tuning the suspension on the PIP.