1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Happened?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gasolean, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Today I accidentally left my lights on in the Prius. Ever since I got into my car accident last year the lights don't turn of automatically when the car turns off. It stays on the "fog light" setting. Anyway since I usually use my lights at night I am pretty good about remembering to turn them OFF. But this morning it was rainy and I had them on and left them on.

I went to go start my car in the evening and I noticed it was sluggish to unlock. I then went to turn it on and it was sluggish with the wipers. I looked at the dash and pretty much ALL the lights were on. I turned it off. Turned it on. Same thing. I realized the lights were on. I turned THEM off. I turned the car off and on. Several times. It still had all the dash lights on.

I called AAA and they said it sounded like it needed to be jumped. They came out and plugged it in the back and the Prius turned on perfectly and the monitor showed the Prius was more or less full of battery - it was the bar bellow green.

So was it my battery or what? Any ideas? Should I take it in?

2. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gasolean @ Sep 11 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]510907[/snapback]</div>
    It's the 12V auxiliary battery that you drained, not the big high voltage battery in the back (which is what you see on the screen). You either need to a) charge the 12V battery using a trickle charger, or B) go for a nice drive (30 minutes or so), or c) just leave the car in Ready Mode and let it recharge the battery for a while (same 30 minutes or so). It sounds like the battery wasn't fully drained, so you probably haven't damaged it to the point of needing a replacement. However, given the somewhat bizarre behavior you had, it wouldn't hurt to tighten the connections to the 12V battery to be on the safe side. A loose 12V battery connection has been known to cause weirdness in the car.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I agree. You'd have been far better off leaving it in READY for a few minutes rather than further draining the 12v by cycling off and on over and over.
    Should be fine at this point.

Remember, also, that the battery display on the energy screen has nothing to do with the 12v battery that powers your headlights and starts the computers in the car and was jumped by AAA.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I agree. You'd have been far better off leaving it in READY for a few minutes rather than further draining the 12v by cycling off and on over and over.
    Should be fine at this point.

Remember, also, that the battery display on the energy screen has nothing to do with the 12v battery that powers your headlights and starts the computers in the car and was jumped by AAA.

5. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 11 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]510933[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I actually had NO IDEA that there were two different batteries. I really should read that manual. I just learned about that secret compartment on here. I've owned my Prius for a year and a half. I didn't know that I could just leave it on and it will start over. I will remember this and pass it on for the future.

While I was waiting for them to come and jump me I actually DID get internet access in the parking lot! Lol. I should have come on here. It would have saved me a lot of time.

6. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 11 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]510933[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I actually had NO IDEA that there were two different batteries. I really should read that manual. I just learned about that secret compartment on here. I've owned my Prius for a year and a half. I didn't know that I could just leave it on and it will start over. I will remember this and pass it on for the future.

While I was waiting for them to come and jump me I actually DID get internet access in the parking lot! Lol. I should have come on here. It would have saved me a lot of time.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also read the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, to avoid paying for more dealer service than you need.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also read the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, to avoid paying for more dealer service than you need.