1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens after the XM trial period?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Judgeless, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am past the 3 month trial period. I lost about 50% of the channels but a lot still work. I was cut off about 2 weeks ago but channels like 70, 80, Classic Vinyl and Classic Rock still work. All the news channels still work.

Is this normal or will they go away soon?

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would think they would go away if you have not subscribed to a service.

I do subscribe so I have not lost anything and have all the channels but didn't take the highest level of service and since I have another radio it only costs $6.95 for the service on the Prius.

I prefer that service over any IPOD or CD's, since it provides me a choice of many different options and music selections, comedy etc.

I don't use FM much anymore..;)

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They should have disappeared after the trial period was over. If they don't go away you scored as long as the channels that remained are the type(s) of music you listen to.

After the trial period end you'll most likely get phone calls and/or mailers trying to get you to resubscribe with discounts thrown in. There have been other threads discussing the various discounts being offered.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Paradox. Maybe I got lucky?

I did get the call. They are idiots. If there goal is get people subscriptions they should be able to make a good offer.

They offered me $80 for the first year then it goes back to normal price. It told them wanted Howard Stern. They came back with $220 a year. They claim there is nothing they can do.

I asked for a lifetime sub including Howard Stern and they could not discount it. When Howard leaves the company will be in a lot worse shape then they are now.

5. datrays

datrays New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That makes sense. The odd thing is I do not get channel 9. It shows I should during that promo. I am sure they all will be gone on Dec 1st.

7. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With any luck this POS company will go bankrupt in 2010 and the infrastructure will be purchased by someone who knows how to operate a business.

8. urlyadoptr

urlyadoptr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My trial expired 2 weeks ago and I also experienced a "phase out" of the service. First I noticed that I only had one bank of satellite presets (instead of 3), and some channels no longer worked. Now it's compeltely deactivated (except for Channels 000 and 001). I don't know if it's a multiple-stage process to deactivate the radio, or if it's a marketing ploy. Either way, expect your satrad to be gone soon unless you subscribe.

9. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe they next hunt your car down and rip the SAT radio out from under the driver's seat when you leave it unattended. ;)

10. wjterry

wjterry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I lost my service after the trial period then the phone calls started. Eventually, they offered a 50% discount on a one year package, but I declined as I usually listen to books on CDs. Their pitchman indicated they also have books to listen to...only I must listen to what they offer as opposed to getting an audio book of my choice from the local public library...free.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine should've expired 3 days ago (assuming it was activated when they PDI'd the car). It still works.

What I've noticed (and is annoying) is that the cars that are on the dealership lots have the satrad activated already. Does that mean there's a good possibility that the owner may not even have the free trial if the car sits there for 3 months?

12. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That explains my experience. My trial period was supposed to be over last Thursday, November 26. I had full channels through Sunday afternoon, November 29. By evening I was down to that small handful of demonstration channels.

Today I had no XM channels at all, except for that preview channel that tries to get you to subscribe because of all the things you are missing.

I won't be signing up. It was all right, and I really enjoyed some of the channels (particularly MLB Home Plate), but in the final analysis, it's just more radio--complete with lots and lots of commercials.

13. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, PS to Tideland: I'm pretty sure my car was on the lot for a couple of days before I bought it. My trial period lasted a couple of days over three months from the day I bought the car. So they must let XM know somehow when the trial period is supposed to start.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess so? It's weird that they would activate it prior to delivery.

15. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got 3 months and a few days on my trial so it looks like it was activated when I took delivery.

16. PearlieGirl

PearlieGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When my 3 months were up (mid-October) I started getting the phone calls to subscribe and said no thanks. I thought they deactivated my radio, but a few weeks ago I went to my SAT setting, and a lot of the stations were still there. I thought I had scored haha! Well a couple days ago, all the stations disappeared and now all I have is the voice promo to sign up for a subscription...

I won't miss satellite radio, as I just bought a Verizon Droid phone, and now I can stream all the custom music I want from Pandora or lastfm. It's a beautiful thing! (and Google Maps navigation, too, to fill in where the Prius nav is lacking...)

1 person likes this.
  17. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Model: II...Do I have all the components I need to activate Satellite radio reception or do I need to purchase something else? I see a Satellite button on the radio. The Owner's manual is not clear.

Thanks in advance

18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

No, the Prius II is not XM ready. It needs a receiver to make it work, though the antenna (satellite) is in the base of the roof antenna like the Prius III and above.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Prius II isn't "Satellite Radio Capable"?? I thought it was. Our Canadian base model is "satellite ready" which means it has all the wires and the antenna.

20. cohland

cohland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had VERY similar thoughts, or wishes. But this is a combination of Sirius and XM, neither of which could survive independently, so unless I'm missing something, they have a monopoly and a large installed base of receivers. If they do go out of business, we might have no satellite radio service provider.

While signing up for the service the other day, it appeared to me that after you make any change to your profile online (address, etc.) that their system appeared to make the changes on some sort of batch schedule, and would "go away" for a period of 15 to 30 minutes before your records were updated. This sort of foolishness was a hallmark of information processing that died out about, oh, 30 years ago. But not at Sirius/XM. To paraphrase the New Republic, this is "..so serenely silly - so untroubled by any whiff of a serious idea - as to invite a kind of awe..".

Calling them merely "inept" is being charitable. Let's hear it for monopolies. They have no motivation to improve their service, all they need to do is to jack the rates up to the point that they can make money in spite of their gross incompetence. Because after all, there is no other choice, is there?