1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Happens to the Battery at End-of-Life

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by pkjohna, Jul 4, 2004.

1. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love the Prius with it's great gas mileage and low emissions but I'm curious...what happens to that humongous battery when we're done with it? How does the overall long term environmental impact of a hybrid including battery manufacture and disposal compare with the impact of your average econobox or next gen diesel? I confess complete ignorance here and I'm hoping some of you fine folks have this stuff right at your fingertips. 8)

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

toyota has requested that all the HV batterys go back to them for disposal. I would probably believe that they have some sort of agreement with Panasonic for disposal.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

From what I heard elsewhere I believe on this forum, I believe there is even a "bounty" for the batteries for dealers - ie, they get $$ for each battery they send back to Toyota (or Panasonic) for recycling.

-m.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The deposit for the battery is 200$ from Toyota and the whole thing is recyclable. These batteries are green, as far as any manufactured product can be.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Apparently Toyota already has a battery refurbishing/recycling plant set up. I read it in one of the writeups on Prius Environmental Design. It's just in mothballs right now because none of the batteries are failing.

6. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you happen to have a link to the info about the refurbishing plant? I'm curious about the process -- do they have to dump the acid as part of the process?

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There wasn't anything about the Process. Just an explanation that as part of the design of the Prius to be completely recyclable, that they had already built the refurbishing plant.

I don't have the link handy. I think I have the PDF on one of the puters but not this one apparently. If I find it I'll upload it.

But remember, the Prius batteries don't contain any Acid, quite the opposite :)