1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens when battery goes to zero bars?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by krazypriuslady, Mar 21, 2012.

1. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tonight we were driving in bumper to bumper traffic, using the battery. When I left home it was about 3/4. When I reached my destination, it only had 2. I was stressing the whole time. Will it automatically switch to using gas when the battery runs down like that?
    I had 2 bars left but if I were idling longer and when to zero?
    Will it stall out?

Also, we want to buy a battery maintainer.. Which is the recommended make and model??

Thanks

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You shouldn't really ever see anything less than two bars with regular use. Perhaps shutting down w/ two bars and the next morning see one... perhaps. In any case, even the meter does not display the full capacity of the HV battery. I think it was about 20-80% capacity is displayed.
    Unless there is a major malfunction, the car will take care of itself... what you saw is normal... disconcerting but normal.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery will take care of itself. The only thing you need to know is it hates extreme heat so if you are uncomfortable so is your battery. Turn on the AC in those situations. Other than that don't worry about it. :) Then engine will turn on to recharge the HV battery when needed. The Prius is a pretty smart cookie.

4. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The gas engine (ICE) will automatically turn on to charge the battery, assuming you're not in neutral.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No worries, mate!

The engine will start and send power through the smaller electric motor-generator (MG1) to recharge the high voltage batteries. You'll likely never see 0 bars, but if you do, the battery is not depleted, just the useable portion is depleted. The system will protect your batteries.

The battery maintainer is just for your 12-volt, a tiny 12-volt that basically just boots the system (the high voltage system spins the engine at start-up). You shouldn't need to use a maintainer in normal use. I do so sometimes on account of our many short trips.

I use a BatteryMinder Plus. You can connect under the hood, by the way, or you can access the 12V in the hatch area and connect directly. Under the hood, you open the fuse panel, flip open the red plastic cover of the positive post there, and ground over to the negative jump point on top of the engine on the passenger side, or any bare metal (I use a bolt head on the inverter).

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The car takes care of itself. Don't worry unless it throws a warning message or light. The HV battery will go to 2 bars for a while and then the engine will fire up automatically, charge it upto 3 bars and switch off again - assuming you're still stuck in this heavy traffic. It very very rarely goes below 2 bars (only ever done it for me once in 65000 hard taxi miles).

Another thing not to worry about is the battery will usually sit 2 bars from the top. Sometimes in traffic it will go to 1 bar from the top and will only go to completely full after you have gone down a very long and steep hill. The car doesn't like the HV battery to be completely full so will 'burn' off this extra battery power by using the engine less or by revving the engine or a combination of the two. Don't worry about it, it's normal too.

The other weird thing the car does is make a loud humming noise when you first switch on the a/c on a hot day. This is normal too and it soon dies down.

Any other questions, please ask.

7. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow thanks for all the replies. I guess I just need to sit back, relax and crank the ac and watch the other drivers stress out

Can I use the battery minder Jr? I prefer the price tag on that!

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Outside of ordinary driving it is possible to drain the big high-voltage battery, and that would be bad. Read the owner's manual. (Short answer: don't use Neutral, and don't leave the car in IG-ON.)

1 person likes this.
  9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Either model 12117 or the AGM specific model 12118 will work fine. The list for $50 and $55 respectively, but are available on the web for a little less $. I prefer these over the BatteryTender brand as the Battery Minders will perform desulfating.

JeffD