1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens when oil get too low…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tommymommy, Sep 27, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

1. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back story - my daughter has driven this car since age 16. Once in HS she let the oil get low. Barely touching the dipstick low. Twice since that time, she’s 23 now, it’s gotten low but never completely off the dipstick. It’s a 2006 with 256k miles on it. Recently had cat replaced due to repeat codes. Engine was already fairly loud. There’s sewing machine and then there’s loud sewing machine, the second would be her car. Any way, she was driving it on the freeway last week on cruise control when it started losing power. She got it off the road and heard clackity clack before it shut down. No dash lights at all. Have been able to restart and move to trailer and back to driveway, but I think this engine is done. Oil is full.

well, darn it! I can’t upload the video. Super loud tapping sound.

#1 tommymommy, Sep 27, 2024 at 10:13 PM
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 10:22 PM
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably so kids don't do well with these they don't do well with cars generally and this is a daughter I have two of those they just don't do well with cars even if their mechanically inclined they have other things going on just the way it is Even my wife who's married to somebody who's mechanically inclined that shit does not rub off I can promise you so this is very rare but at this mileage with a 16-year-old to 23 years old owning and driving the car it is toast The engine is but you can get an engine for this car for nothing so if it's a relatively good shape and she hasn't beaten all four corners parking and stuff it's worth it to fix worth it to me now you're going to she's going to want to forward focus or a Chevy Aveo or who knows I don't know it but the Prius is a much better choice she knows the car well now finally but the Joneses may need to have her in something newer just to keep up with where she lives and who she is I don't know at $250,000 mi most of my generation two still look pretty new generally looking like inside the car is very clean leather interior all the buttons work none of them have fallen off like General motors vehicles the power windows all go up and down etc etc other than the battery failing and or the engine being smoked by a young driver that's kind of rare for this model but a young driver can kill anything if they set their mind to it on purpose or not but I can buy engines for these cars out of people's yards for a couple hundred bucks I see them daily I stop daily and check on stuff sitting in my area when people get ready to finally let go they call the engine used in your car today is still used all around the world very widely it's one of the bread and butter engines for this marque still today 20e some odd years later

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Description is pretty good for burning out a connecting rod bearing.

A replacement engine would be the right fix.