1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens when your Hybrid battery fails

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Mar 11, 2022.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My prius has 200k I put in gen 4 engine and new trans and water pump and brake actuator. In any case the only thing that concerns me is hybrid battery. I drive mostly freeway straight no hills very flat for 40 minutes one way.
    I used the dr prius app and it says one of my cells is questionable and im told ignore it, it may last a year or a week. in any case what happens when a cell no longer is doing its job. IM sure you get the check hybrid system but can you still drive it? can you reset the ECU and drive it till it does it again? Just wondering with the way things are with supply chain Im wondering if I should order a new battery now?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, but you might have to disconnect and reconnect the 12v to start it.

it depends on how bad it is. generally, it is a slow degradation until it will no longer start the car.

best practice is to repair or place at the earliest possible time, after symptoms begin, like trouble codes, or oscillating battery gauge between high and low.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Resetting the trouble code works, and is less trouble than disconnecting the battery and then having to reset everything the car forgets when you do that.

It works, that is, until it stops working, and then it doesn't. Sometimes that moment is announced with a bang, bad smells, and a walk home.

[​IMG]

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Monitor "Voltage diff"on Dr. Prius app... As that number goes up, the lifespan of battery pack goes down. Also deep cycling the battery several times every 18 months will restore capacity and keep the voltage difference number low.

And because you clearly value your car enough to upgrade to Gen4 engine, you need to start saving up to upgrade to a lithium aftermarket pack: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

This pack will make you feel the same contentment as when you first put your Gen4 engine in... You'll have increased EV range, pack will recharge more efficiently, climbing mountains down to two bars will still have solid battery power unlike OEM and near 1/2 the weight of your old pack. Also HVAC system runs stronger too!

5. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the way.

how do I deep cycle my battery as I have never done this before.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It looks eye-catching but what's been done to modify the charging circuit of Prius to work with lithium cells?
    Prius' charging system is optimized for NiMH type cells. Lithium cells have different charge algorithm.

CR94 likes this.