1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What has the cold weather done to my beautiful Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tamim, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys my 2005 Prius is acting up again :confused:

Starting about a week ago which is coincidentally the same time that it started to get really cold here in south California (50's at night), the remote key sensor on my car began to fail.

When I walk up to the walk and put my hand next to the door handle it no longer unlocks the car, neither if I push one of the two buttons on the remote.

When I enter the car I could previously start the car with the keys in my pocket, but it no longer detects the keys and I am forced to physically insert them into the dashboard slot in order to start the car.

I had initially thought maybe my keys were out of batteries or maybe they were defective so I tried my other pair of keys to no avail, same problem.

Would anyone happen to know what could possibly be going wrong?

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a button under the steering wheel that got hit on accident (maybe when it was washed?), push it and all will be well.

1 person likes this.
  3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sudden changes in temps can affect your 12 volt battery. remember, everything on your Pri relies on that battery when the Pri is powered down.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I pushed the button on the bottom of the steering wheel that says "KEY" but it still has the same problem regardless of what position this switch is in.

What am I to do :confused:

1 person likes this.
  5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 Unless the battery has been changed, the OEM one would be 4+
    years old. That would be the typical service life. Before a failing
    battery totally goes south, any number of seemingly random 12V
    electrical system irregularities or failures have been reported. :(

Sounds like it could be time to get a new 12V battery, either because
    you need it NOW in the random efffects period -- restores peace of
    mind too -- or will in the near future after the total failure. (Which,
    strangely enough, can occur while the car is use, but isn't
    detectable until you shut the car OFF. :eek: )

1 person likes this.
  6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    SKS fob's battery may be low. Try with the spare one. Try to replace the battery.

1 person likes this.
  7. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The button under the dash needs to be on the OUT position for the SKS to work. When was the last time you changed the battery in the fob? If it's still the original, I would change that first before going for a new 12v battery.

8. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You've probably changed to a different jacket because of the cooler weather, with different pockets and now you're keeping the fob in the same pocket as your cell phone and it's interferring...
    ... and 50F is really cold????!!!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Test the fob batteries: press any button on the fob. You don't have to be near the car. A small red LED should flash in one corner. If not, dying/dead fob battery.

Test the 12V battery with a voltmeter, either at the jump point under the red cap under the hood, or at the battery itself. Leave the car off for several hours first. With the car still OFF, if the voltage is less than 12.0V then the battery is dying.

You can also test the car's 12V battery using this procedure, no tools required (thanks to jdenenberg):
    - Without brake pedal, press the Power button once and release to enter ACC mode
    - Press and hold the MFD Info button while turning the headlights on and off three times to enter Maintenance mode; release Info button
    - Press “Menu†(on screen)
    - Press “Display Checkâ€
    - Press “Vehicle Signal Check†- the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    - Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    - Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there is a problem, possibly with the charging circuit)
    - Turn car OFF to leave Maintenance mode

4 people like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try replacing the battery in one of them. Remember that the other FOB loses battery too even if it isn't used daily.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys thanks a lot for the help, I replaced the batteries in both FOBs and now it works like a charm. :tea:

1 person likes this.
  12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahh once again, the shortcomings of battery technology is the culprit. crossing fingers for the game-changing eestor technology launch, hopefully soon

1 person likes this.