1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what i need to get satellite radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wumhenry, Mar 7, 2008.

1. wumhenry

wumhenry New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought a 2008 w/ package 5 last week. What do I got to do to get satellite radio?

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Buy a hardware kit from the dealer for either Sirius or XM which includes an up front fee to that sat company (partially credited back with 3 free months), get the kit installed or see threads here with detailed instructions, pay the monthly fee after 3 months.

There is a small box that connects to the head unit, and an antenna.

Or you can go aftermarket, but since you have the sat capable unit, my first thought is to stay OEM.

That's more than I know...

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    just remember it depends on how cheap you want to go, I paid $29 for my Sirius Radio kit. Granted I installed it myself and I don't have the prettiest radio of theirs. I installed mine just above the power button and I was able to tuck the wires in between the front part of the dash for a fairly clean install. One reason I went cheap with it is I am anxious to see what happens in their merger attempt with XM will upgrade my radio after they have their combined a la carte service.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The hot ticket for fully integrated, MFD controlled, 16 Character, Sirius satellite radio is the new Directed Electronics TOY-SC1 emulator and SC-C1 tuner. The two will cost you anywhere from $90-$150 total.(if you shop around.) And Does the same thing as the dealer's $800.00 system

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good to know. OEM XM is 265 here at PC, last I looked though.
    thanks

6. Bryan5

Bryan5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a similar question (sort of), so I thought I'd put it in this thread to avoid making a new one.

For those who installed either an XM or Sirius aftermarket kit, could you please describe or post pictures of how you have it set up? I'd like to get the satellite radio integrated with the MFD, but my Prius doesn't have the required package and I think it costs $300 to get an XM radio unit from some place like Coastaletech. I don't think I could justify spending that much money when I could buy an external unit for $100 or so and deal with the added clutter. But back to my original question...If anyone has pictures of where they've mounted their satellite radio units, please post them as I'm interested in buying one myself. Thanks.