1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I should know before buying a 2005?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Takaaaa, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Takaaaa

Takaaaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I have my eye on the Prius for sometime now, and have been jumping from site to site trying to get as much info on them as possible. But sometimes a site says they are right but then another site says they are wrong and it leave me confused. :(

So I found a 2005 prius with around 65k miles and another with around 95k. of course I will try and go for the one with lower miles but just incase I would like to know about the 95k mile one.
    First thing Im going to do before buying is take it to Toyota and get it checked out.

But I would like to know more about this car. for the long run.
    I heard that if the battery breaks its a $4000 repair bill. Does that mean I should stay away from higher mile cars?
    Also if any, what are some other problems I might face both now and down the line?

I plan on putting rims, and sounds, HIDs, and other stuff. Will it void warranty? what will void it? If the car I buy doesnt have warranty should/can I add it again?

I will take it to toyota to get it looked over, but when test driving it what should I look for?

Also is there any random problems I should know about? lol I know I keep asking for problems, but i jsut love this car so much that I dont need anyone telling me the good about it. :p

And last is it a reliable car? LOL Im not a grandmother nor am I a crazy nut. I dont drive slow and soft, I dont drive crazy fast and turn hard. But I do somtimes want to pass a slow car, or in a rush. Will it stay together? dont get me wrong I always owned a toyota and my current car (Celica GTS) has 130k miles and feels like it can go for another 130kmiles even after the abuse i put it threw. But I want to know if the prius will put me in a money pit, that I will have to baby or if it will stay together.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is a lot of good information here in the Gen II Prius Forums about how to install different modifications, what works, what don't, etc. The stuff you mentioned has all been done many times. The cars you are looking at will be out of warranty except for the emissions warranty, fortunately that includes the hybrid system and the traction battery. I'm sure you could buy some kind of after market warranty but they are normally not worth what you pay for them.

Gen II Prius traction batteries (that's the big one) are very dependable and it is unlikey you will have problems with it. There is a small 12 Volt battery that needs to be replaced every 5 years or so just like a normal car battery. If that hasn't been done in the car you buy you will need to do it soon, I suggest looking online and buying the kit to install an Optima instead of using the Toyota battery. 12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 with installation kit The Toyota battery is way overpriced and no one else makes one.

Check all the stuff you would check with any other car, look for rust in your area. Kick the tires, take it for a long test drive, make sure when you have a Toyota dealer check it over they check for codes. Do a VIN search and make sure it hasn't been wrecked, flooded, etc.

Good luck.

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Battery is a non-issue:
    1. no record of any genII issues other than replacement due to an accident
    2. even if one needs to replace one battery prices have come way down
    You can "baby" it all or as much as you want! ;) My repair bills are a lot lower than conventional cars.

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't think your #1 is accurate, Prius 07.

5. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius