1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I want for Xmas: a Hybrid Minivan

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Dec 5, 2008.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Attached Files:

2. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    EV = Hybrid?

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you lived in Japan Santa could grant you your wish. Still no Estima mini Van:-( in USA

5. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MiniVan: Best all around family vehicle I've ever owned - I'm still waiting for a hybrid to come out.

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Deja Vu ? GM EV1 intentionally did not have regenerative braking. GM reported it's range was too short and not practical. Chrysler announces a new EV. Is it a lightweight like a Honda Fit or a Toyota Yaris? Nope! IT'S A VAN !!! (setup for failure???)

Don't forget about Ford's EV van also. autoblitz: Ford accelerates electric-vehicle plans
    (originally posted by http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/56133-pickens-plan-no-good-5.html#post754008 )

NOT JUST A VAN, BUT A FLEET VAN that will be hauling heavy weight. (setup for failure?)
    Why not a Ford Focus EV? Oh, that would be an EV success. That would be against company policy.

Let us not forget that the EV1 did not have regenerative braking. The whole notion that an EV does not have an long enough range is based on tests of EVs without regen braking. I don't care whether it's a hybrd, or an EV, or a PHEV, "Regenerative braking" is what everyone should be most focused on.

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Chrysler EV combines the electric-drive components of an Electric Vehicle with an integrated small-displacement engine and generator to produce additional electricity to power the electric-drive system when needed. This provides all of the positive attributes of an Electric Vehicle and extends the driving range to be equivalent to today’s gasoline-powered vehicles – without compromises.

The Chrysler EV uses a 190 kW (255 horsepower) motor, producing 350 N·m (258 lb.-ft.) of torque, providing 0 to 60 mph acceleration in approximately nine seconds. The Chrysler EV Range-extended Electric Vehicle can drive 40 miles on all-electric power, and boasts a range of 400 miles on approximately eight gallons of gasoline. This makes the Chrysler EV the perfect fuel-efficient family vehicle.

Chrysler announces plug-in hybrid minivan bitguru blog

8. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's basically a big Chevy Volt, right? If only Chrysler could hang in there to actually put it in production......

10. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How so? From the reading material, ENVI provides a modular architecture that can be applied to any number of vehicle types. The Dodge EV sports car looks pretty cool and would definitely appeal to those who wish they could afford a Tesla. The Jeep Range-extended EV would surely appeal to the legion of Jeep enthusiasts.

Should GM and Chrysler merge before Hummer could be sold off, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chrysler applying this same technology to something like the H3 or H3T.

And of course, we have news that Congress and the White House have tentatively agreed on a compromise solution that basically will give GM and Chrysler a reprieve until March 31. Essentially giving the incoming admin time to get settled in and pick up the issue again in 2009. The game has just begun.

11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I still cannot comprehend why Toyota has not brought the Estima to the USA.
    I think it would have been an on-going sales leader in the minivan segment.

The question now is; In the current/forecast international economic climate,
    does it make sense for Toyota to bring them in now?

If anyone were to be looking to buy a minivan, surely the Estima would still be
    an excellant choice. I seems to me that there would be little risk for Toyota,
    and all the development costs and real world refinements are already made.

So, I agree, Santa Baby, I too would like to see the Estima in the USA,
    I'll leave the garage door unlocked... Oops, I don't have a garage.

12. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    We have a Sienna, and my masculinity hasn't been in question...ever. Actually my wife drives it mostly, and we can't wait until it is available in a hybrid version. Minivans offer the best utility for the buck.
    I live in the city where all Chrysler's minivans are produced, and there are parking lots full of completed vans waiting for a market. It's brutal here, and maybe this is the answer for renewed popularity. We'll see.
    I would like to put out my observation that the display makes it impossible to see under the hood, unless you play center in the NBA. I also note that none of the doors or the rear hatch are open, so I wonder if the interior is compromised by a large battery array. The stow and go space seems a likely spot for batteries. This would be interesting to find out.
    I also point out that with all that's happened, the auto companies, Toyota/Lexus included, still beat their chests about how quickly the vehicle with the electric assist can accelerate...I wish they would realize that maintaining momentum without fuel is where the savings are. That said, 50 mpg for a vehicle of this size would be fantastic. Imagine what a less powerful ICE and a patient driver would get.
    Let's hope this is produced, not thrown on the heap of auto show hyped vehicles that don't go beyond the one-off concept vehicle stage.
    Have a great weekend, everyone.

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No hybrid minivans = lost opportunity for all car manufacturers.

15. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And the CEO's of the big Three say there's listening to what the public wants:rolleyes: Even Toyota isn't listening and they have a ready to go product:eek:

16. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I want one too!

Heck, I'd vote for a bail-out plan right now if I could get one in the $30-$40K.

But I doubt that will happen.

Guess for now I got to stick both my kids in the Prius.

Digging the ran and HP.

If only there were more to this than PR.

17. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where/When can I get one?

The first products for consumers in North American markets will start production in 2010, and European markets after 2010. There is a complete portfolio of Electric Vehicles and Range-extended Electric Vehicles.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    get a mini van of ANY CONFIGURATION that gets 30+ mpg and i guarantee that it will be on back order for years or until we get something better.

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have a 2004 Sienna. Love it. Best (overall) vehicle I have ever owned. We would trade it in (in a heartbeat) for a Sienna like Minivan.

Toyota, are you REALLY listening?

20. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Toyota does make mini-van for Asian market that can easily do +30MPG and it is not even a hybrid. Ironically, they called it "Wish".

And yes there is also HSD-powered Estima.

toyota.jp WISH

[​IMG]