1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What (if any) other cars did you consider before you bought your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by withersea, Aug 4, 2006.

1. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What other cars (if any) were you considering when you bought your Prius? What tipped the scale toward the Prius?

Me- Mini Cooper

Deal breaker- Besides the obvious environmental issues and $ at the pump, Prius is much more practical. Driving it sealed the deal. Best decision I've ever made concerning an auto purchase. Smug factor is now off the scale. :D

2. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also considered Mini Cooper, VW (can't even remember the name of it now), Scion TC, Honda CRV, and Toyota Matrix.

Historically, I come from a long line of pioneers and wanted to go where no other driver in my family has gone before.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was 75% sure I was going to get a 2006 Honda Insight. I still want one. :D Then after hours of comparing features I decided on the Prius. I did not know what was going to happen for the next 10 years so I decided to plan ahead. If I get a family started in the life of my new car I would need more than 2 seats. Plus I think the Prius has more cool mods like the EV button. :D

4. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew whatever my next car would be it was going to be RED... I lookat at upgrading from a lime green 2002 VW Beetle to a 2006 Red Beetle... I also looked at the Mini Cooper (too mini)... the Honda Insight (WAY too mini)... and seriously considered the 2006 PT Cruiser and the 2006 Dodge Caliber... I knew within 10 minutes of my Prius Test Drive that I was going with the Prius... (my test drive with the "sales-creature" was in 20 degree weather in a snowstorm by the way... but he was very kind in humoring me on a test drive in the snow)

5. curse

curse New Member

Diesel Jetta and the new Civic Hybrid.

We probably would have been happy with either but my wife didn't care for the Jetta and I just couldn't get over the Civic's rear seat not folding down because I tend to haul lots of larger things related to my hobbies. The real diciding factor for us, though, was the high praise for the Prius from a friend who has had one for about 6 months.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Aug 4 2006, 06:39 PM) [snapback]298030[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! I had trouble buying the Prius *because* of its negative environmental issues (it burns gasoline for cripe's sake!) and the $ at the pump. But since there was no modern EV to purchase at the time, Toyota got my money for what I consider to be the best 4-door vehicle on the market. I considered no other vehicle at the time.

7. dbotello

dbotello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Moved to this car from an SUV, and thought that I could not live without one. Boy was I wrong. I tried out the Prius and wham, had to have it. Super advanced, better for the environment, fun to drive. I was sold.

8. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect I will not have much of an audience for what I am about to say because most of you seem to be quite adventurous.
    In my 57 years of driving I have always aimed to get a new feature to the car when upgrading.
    I started with a 1927 Calthorp (English car) and had to remove a rotting body. My next car had a body. After that I added automatic gears, sun roof, electric windows etc. until I arrived at just about everything on the one car except a hybrid.
    Imagine my surprise when I made a giant leap forward with all the goodies in a Prius.
    Currently, there is no other car that is going to give me more - except a hearse, but of course I won't own that.

9. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I was also considering a fully-loaded Nissan Sentra 1.8S with Special Edition Package (including sunroof). Would still be a ULEV (for the environment) and 35 MPG on the highway. The Prius won out, mainly for the gas savings and expected reliability (and tax credit), which evened out the big step up in price, and I suppose because the Prius is a more prestigious vehicle loaded with toys.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I test drove a Saturn Ion in Nov. 2004. My Saturn SC2 coupe was being serviced and I had time. I was not impressed.

I started doing some online research around Jan-March 2005.

In considered the Hondas but did not want a manual and the only one with competitive gas mileage to the Prius was the Insight, and it only sat 2 with not much cargo.

Since the Prius sat 5 and had cargo space and got almost the same mileage as the Insight, I test drove one and bought it. No ordering. No waiting.

I had wanted blue with gray interior but the 2005 didn't offer a gray interior with the blue so I bought black. Ended up with an ivory interior anyway. Next Prius will have gray interior. And I hope be dark blue.

11. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 4 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]298058[/snapback]</div>

Cool Chicks in Dark Blue Prius club?????????

12. marjam

marjam Member

I bought an '01 Prius after 7 years in a Bonneville. I always dreamed of cars being run by electricity. Never considered the Insight because I did not want a manual. The '04 was a no-brainer with the trade they gave me for the '01 and I never considered another car.

13. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Blue '05 Element. One bad salesperson sent me over to Toyota where I signed up for a Prius.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Aug 4 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]298060[/snapback]</div>
    True Blue Prius Chicks.

Look for it as soon as my criteria are met. (2009?)

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also considered - Corolla/Matrix

deal breaker - my dad knows my bro and I would use the car quite often to go to school, meetings, work and to send my mum around when dad's at work during the summer. Fuel efficiency was the main point and it would save us money over the Corolla. Low emissions and cool toys were the icing.

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still have happy healty '91 Acura in driveway...only now, 18yo son drives it. I was positively lusting after a Pri for more than a year before I got it...after 18 yo had his 2nd accident in the '87 beemer we got for, basically, nothing, but then got the insurance bill...I sed, says me, PRIUS PRIUS PRIUS...

I had been keeping an eye on 'em since the 1st gen I turned up here in Petaluma...and rejected it because NO HATCHBACK! Last year...guess what? I noticed HB on Prius...and that is indeed all she wrote.

So, bottom line...THE HATCHBACK SOLD ME. Get over it darrelllddddd...I am shallow!

Let's see...18 yo boy...needs car...mom wants car...mom knows what car she wants...and it is WAY less expensive, in EVERY way, than that wanted by 18yo...hmmmm...who wins THAT one???? :rolleyes:

:wub: / rufaro /prius

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 4 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]298090[/snapback]</div>
    I'm over it. I'm under it. We all have our reasons. The Prius is a great car.

18. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 4 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]298129[/snapback]</div>
    <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

19. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    considered a honda civic hybrid for about 30 seconds. but the toyota dealer was closer to home, so i went there first. came home with a prius. never looked back.

20. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2005/2006 Mustang GT. I'm a true blue Mustang lover. Last one was a '65 2+2 but like a nit wit I sold it
    :( . SO, since the issue of gas prices became a big factor, I researched the Hybrid cars. Hondas in Hawaii have a way of being borrowed by the wrong people, car thiefs. Toyota has a rep for reliability and I could get Blue with Gray interior. SOLD! Now, how do I justify the white Shelby racing stripes to my wife? By the way, I love this car.