1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What if CT200h was cheaper and more efficient that Prius? My dilemma.

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by PriQ, Jun 1, 2012.

1. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Imagine a country where the Lexus CT200h is cheaper and more fuel efficient than a 3rd. gen. Prius. This is the reality in some European countries now! Choosing the CT over the Prius now seems like a much easier choice, right?

Well. I'm still torn. I have test driven the CT and from my gen. 3 ownership I'm really digging the seats, driving dynamics and dual zone AC, but the smaller interior and cargo room, no HUD, lesser real life FE, and no keyless entry in any reasonably priced trim level makes it a hard choice for me. Should I go CT?

And what's worse: I prefer the funky looking Prius looks to the conservative (albeit handsome) CT!

If I choose to go CT it would either be the clean basic (cheaper than cheapest Prius) trim or no-satnav F-sport.

It would be nice if you CT owners out there would give me some things to look out for, or list stuff that you miss in the CT compared to the Prius.

css28 likes this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One of each would solve that problem. ;)

PriQ likes this.
  3. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I looked at the CT200h too, and took one for a short test drive. It has more features, but doesn't get the mileage the Pri does. In reading the test drive articles, it doesn't come up to the usual Lexus standards. Some said is was a Matrix on steroids. The big negatives for me are road noise, less interrior room, and the insurance would probably be higher. I decided to stick with a new regular/original Prius.

PriQ likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i considered one til i find out it was smaller and less f/e. i would pay more for a quieter more refined prius. or, at least, i would have until pip came along. i'll never go back to gas.:p

PriQ likes this.
  5. jroussos

jroussos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I ordered a Prius pkg 5 with Advanced Technology Packaged to be delivered 5/29/12.

Four days before the Prius was scheduled to arrive I bought a CT 200h, Premium with REAL leather, NAV, Premium audio and wood dash trim. It cost $2000 more than the loaded Prius.

The deciding factor was SEAT COMFORT ! The drivers seat with Leather option has 3 memory settings. The seats fits like soft leather gloves. Boy are they nice.....

The CT is replacing my wife's 2005 Prius. I was never comfortable in her Prius seats. After about 45 minutes I would develop a back ache. Today I drove the CT on a 250 mile, 3.5 hour trip and it was wonderful. It also handled MUCH BETTER than our 05 Prius on the road. It tracked better and was less bothered by cross wind.

The gas mileage at 70 mph was only 43.1 mpg, about 3 less than what our 05 Prius did on the same trip and speed.

Back seat leg room is less than the Prius. I can count the times I had someone in the back of our Prius on one hand in 7 years. we also have a nice Toyota Avalon Limited for carrying more than 2.

Yesterday it was raining very heavily and I needed to enter destination into the NAV. I pushed the eDestination button and a live person came on the speaker and said where would you like to go. I told him and he sent the destination directly to our NAV system. Cool personal service.

What's missing.. It does not have the Dynamic Cruise that the ATP we ordered on the Prius had. Also headlights are standard Halogen vs the self leveling LEDs on the pkg 5 Prius. Gas mileage is not as good as the Prius. It cost us an extra 0.5 gallons of gas compared to a Prius on the 250 mile trip. Well worth it for the additional comfort.

Cockpit is laid out very nicely. The center console is much more classy than the Prius plastic.

State Farm insurance quote was $26 more every 6 months over the 2005 Prius it replaced.

This will be our daily driver.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

7. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your input everyone. When I'm going through the threads of people who changed to CT it looks like there is very little buyers remorse - especially because the largest differences/shortcomings are obvious: space and fuel economy.

I'm having a hard time finding out what the "dual entertainment" screen is supposed to mean. Is the display able to show a different picture to the passenger (such as a DVD) like in a new Land Rover?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure you don't mean dual climate control?

9. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. It is from the booklet:

Upgraded centre console:
    This features a 7" Electro Multi-Vision screen operated via Remote Touch. The full-color screen displays navigation, parking assist and other systems such as audio, climate and hybrid energy monitor.

"Multi-vision" sounds like the system from Land Rover, but they might just mean that it is able to show different displays... like any other display of any other vehicle. Even my TS510 is "multi-vision" by that definition since it shows GPS, audio and telephone.

Edit: Land Rover call their screen "dual view". It seems like the Lexus screen is simply an ordinary screen.

10. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

I test drove the ct today and the prius 3 package 4. I preferred the prius. The options were better- more room, much better mpg, i thought the stereo was better too. I think if the ct had mpg the same as prius i might go with it- but not now.

11. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    So. I contacted Lexus with the intend of getting a test drive of the basic level (different tires, perhaps lower grade interior?). It has now been a couple of weeks without response, so I assume they are all too busy selling those 8 units a year. :cautious:

12. savingtheearth

savingtheearth Junior Member

I would just show up to the dealership

13. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    My nearest dealership is now 200 miles away because of the lack of popularity of the brand (and high dealership standard required), so that will require some planning.

14. porttac

porttac Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have heard the comment before " the CT is a Matrix on steroids" and do Not agree with that statement. We owned a Matrix a number of years ago. It did a good job of transportation with great MPG for a non-hybrid. However, the handling experience, the comfort of ride and overall feel of the Matrix did not come close to the CT experience.
    We have had many vehicles over the years...car sales people love me..as I have helped support a lot of them. Some of the cars: Three Audi's, a porsche, a Prius (passed on to our daughter) a number of Subaru's and the list goes on and on..
    I have to say..the Lexus CT feels like the culmination of years of technology,which it is , and, apart from the 0-60 time of my Audi TT (meaningless at this point of my life) the CT outshines all of the other vehicles we have owned.
    Just my 6 cents worth of opinion and I am sticking with it.

15. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I just want to thank all of you who replied to this thread. I picked up a black CT200h L2 earlier today.

F8L likes this.
  16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on purchasing a nice car.

17. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks.
    And thanks for suggesting one of each. People often overlook this solution :D

18. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Looking at the Prius MPG's and the 2012's are averaging 48.7 on Fuelly.com, while the CT200h is averaging 42.8. I'm averaging about 49 MPG over the last 3 months (21 fill ups). My commute is 45min-1hr each way with one steep climb and 90% freeway. I drive on the 2nd lane from 55 - 75 mph depending on traffic conditions, but I try to stay within 60-65 mph.

My brother has a 2010 Gen 3, and I get better mpg's than he does (granted he has a different commute).

Based on this, I'd say that one shouldn't put much weight on the "better MPG" argument when deciding between the Prius and CT200h. I would put more weight on one's driving style.

In fact, my brother has spent lots of money in aftermarket parts trying to make his Prius handle better (sway bars, strut tower bar, mid-chasis brace, etc). No matter what he does, his Prius doesn't handle as nicely as my stock CT200h.

19. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I hear you. It's simply the European test cycle for fuel economy which is terrible. You should see how pissed off people in those green diesels are!

As for my CT, I'm currently averaging 38mpg because of my short commute (3 miles) and cold weather (It's so cold my diesel has trouble starting!), but I'm enjoying every second behind the steering wheel and the fuel economy will get better once it's better weather.

BTW. The tires do a lot for the driving dynamics on the CT. I test drove the new A-class with Summer tires (I can't just buy a car without trying the competition). On Summer tires the CT handles better than the A-class, but with the Winter boots which it's wearing now, the precision when turning is affected quite a lot and it is less sharp than the A-class on Summer tires (I didn't get to try the A with winter tires).

BTW. The new A-class is a very, very good car... I liked it nearly as much as the CT :)

20. priusoup

priusoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Congrats on your new purchase. Although I feel it's slightly comparing an apple to an orange. At the end of the day, it's what makes you happy. Which car do you wake up and you can't wait to drive. Both are great cars.