1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What if I push the power button while in motion?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exces6, Jul 8, 2005.

1. exces6

exces6 New Member

Does anyone know what would happen if someone pushed the power button while the car is moving?

Thanks.

2. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Don't know, interesting question, just today someone asked me what would happen if PARK was pressed while the car was moving ahead.

I would think if Toyota designed the car right, that in both cases NOTHING SHOULD HAPPEN. In a normal car, turning off the ignition cuts the engine, and yes some cars can be shifted out of the FWD gear on the AUTOmatics, but don't know if you could get past REV., you can go to Neutral, but not REV or Park, cause you can damage the transmission. Honnestly, I never tried it, I would not advise experimentation. Maybe someone can answer you or you can ask Toyota. The question about the Park button was asked of me because someone feared they would push it by mistake while the car was going ahead and fast...

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:6335d9097d]If you just press the power button quickly, like if you brushed it, nothing happens. If you press and hold you do an emergency shutdown (only do this in an emergency).

Pressing Park while you're moving shifts into Neutral, I think. I haven't done it in a while. Shifting into Reverse while moving forward doesn't happen, you go to Neutral.

Trust the Prius, Luke. It knows what it's doing. :mrgreen:[/font:6335d9097d]

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlike a regular car, the Prius is smart. In a normal car, shifting to Park or reverse will destroy your transmission. All the Prius does is, hey what the heck are you doing? <shifts to neutral instead>

5. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Though so., no way Toyota and Prius is gonna let you screw up!!

6. NCPrius

NCPrius Junior Member

Pressing the "Power" and "Park" buttons simultaneously activates the Hyper Drive. Make sure you have your towel.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Are you confusing hyperDrive with Improbabiliy Drive? The former I believe you need a Wookie, the LATTER you need the towel.

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Hey do the wings come out when you press PWR and Park at the same time...need to get out of these trafic jams

9. NCPrius

NCPrius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"105468)</div>
    Man, I hate when I get my geek wires crossed.

10. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

Re: What if I push the park button while the car in motion?

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ACCIDENTLY HIT ‘P’ THE PARK BUTTON WHILE DRIVING FASTER THAN 5 MPH?

Absolutely Nothing. The engineers at Toyota figured that someone was bound to do it and they set the Pri up so that it will not go into park while you are driving the car.

Do not try this if you are driving a PNDLR auto unless you need a new transmission and are planning to donate the car to Goodwill Industries.

Do not hit the P button when driving at less than 5 MPH since the transmission will go into park mode and will cause transmission damage.

Arizona Charlie

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:cb17b86ad6]Thanks for restating the previously stated, Charlie.[/font:cb17b86ad6]