1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What if... (Read and Opin at your own risk)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Oct 10, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ocotber 2009 a small diesel electric sub works its way 100 miles offshore of California. In the dead of night it launches a nuclear tipped cruise missile which while streaking to its intended target experiences technical difficulties and explodes prematurely over a suburb of Los Angles instantly incinerating several thousand American citizens but due to its low altitude of detonation and prevailing winds has its radioactive cloud dissipate harmlessly away from other centers of human habitation.

The submarine easily escapes and several days later suddenly experiences a sudden and planned catastrophic hull failure plunging it down to the depths of the Pacific Ocean never to be found.

What would you do as the newly elected American President - assuming you want to play...

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a really interesting concept ....

Do we know (or have very strong intelligence about) who the sub belonged to? That makes a big difference in a course of action.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 10 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]330529[/snapback]</div>
    No information at all at the time of the weapons detonation.

US Naval assets all alerted and actively searching a wide area for the submarine although at the time of the detonation the method of the weapons delivery still remains a mystery. A cruise missile is suspected but other methods of delivery are being considered including:

1. a small aircraft serving as a suicide vehicle
    2. the weapon was planted there after being brought directly to the target via land
    3. cruise missile launch from land including mexico or canada or from the gulf of mexico

There is dramatic concern related to the possibility of other small nuclear weapons being detonated on American soil. The nation is now in panic mode, stock markets closed, all ports are closed, air transportation systems grounded, all modes of ingress and egress from the US are shut down. Consideration for shutting down all major interstate highways is being undertaken.

Analysis of the bomb blast will take days to weeks in an attempt to fingerprint the nuclear weapon and its origen. Details of this will be unavailable to you for the immediate future.

Thanks for playing -

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

1 Start an immediate (Meaning today) evacuation of the area. (Take care of our own.)
    2 Start an immediate fingerprinting of the nuclear debris (This only take a few moments to take the reading and cross reference.) This is a fact. It is very fast and can even be done with a satellite. Fingerprinting

3 Weapons grade uranium must be made in a nuclear reactor and as such all have finger prints. (They can’t be faked.)

This is where you game get cloudy. Once we know where it came from then we can act. Did it come from our own country? Did it come from another country? We don't know because your game did not give us the fingerprint data witch we can easily identify. So it is your move. Where did the uranium come from foreign or domestic?

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 10 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]330549[/snapback]</div>
    Speed up the game - the source of the uranium is foreign, evidence that it was a crude weapon is found.

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Read and opin at your own risk"

Opin? Open? Opine?

Must be the fog of war.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 10 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]330571[/snapback]</div>
    go for it young man - give it your best shot - so far so good.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Make it be known today that regardless of who does what, we're gonna send over 1 nuke to the capital of each country we have a problem with.

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Oh yea! Since this would have been my 9th month a President, I guess I should add that our response time to assist would be very quick as the U.S. Army, and Marines would be on site protecting our north and south borders. Still more would be roaming the country side collecting these fugitives from the law. This is not shutting the borders as you could cross through the border crossings. However, massive amounts of electronic listening posts would be built along the north and south border of our county by then. Lots of automated detection devices with cameras. These cameras would activate our special forces, stopping invaders from crossing the borders. If these cameras are tampered with they would explode with a very large shrapnel charge, and we would also add very powerful deadly electric fences. (Run by solar and wind of course.)

Also, Laws added under the need for national security that would lock up anyone assisting these invaders which we have in this county from every nation in the world. Finally, we would send a bill to the nations who do noting to help control there citizens illegal activities. By illegal activities let’s just start with the fact that just being here illegally is illegal (If you can’t get your mind around that fact then you should not vote.) Then we can move on the all the murders, drugs, and extortion that is happening in this country right now by people from other nations.

All in all, response time should be pretty quick. :D

Since the bomb was forgen. We need to know how did the country lose control of it's uranium?
    Your not trying to just get a knee jerk reaction of "blow them up" are you?

Because if you are then here you go...

I don't care what country in this world does it. It they knowingly launched a nuclear attack against us, or by their actions let it happen. I would wipe them off the face of the earth. I don’t mean one for one either, one bomb on us get ten on your and that is just the first response. I think every one should learn not to play with matches if you don’t want to get burned. Yes this includes our allies like the U.K. However, if it was stolen then they would have to pay restitution to us for as long as it takes.

I hope that every nation of the world would do the same. Lets say Mexico gets nuked by Cuba, well then I would hope that Mexico would blow Cuba off that map. (They would have to buy the nukes, but I would push the U.N. to sell to them.) Or if the U.S. unprovoked sends a nuke to Canada, then they should blow us off the map. Of course we would not do that, unlike the imaginary terrorist you speak of.

Then my next act of presidency would be to have tea. :D

Vote for me!

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 10 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]330587[/snapback]</div>
    I will make it easy for you - the bomb is fingerprinted and is found to be North Korean in origen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 10 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]330582[/snapback]</div>
    that's kind of radical - and you are not going to respond to the initial attack?

11. molgrips

molgrips Member

Hmm. Tit-for-tat retaliation is never a good idea, even less manifold retaliation. I'm glad the people in power didn't think like that during the Cold War. Otherwise we'd all be dead.

You can't hold citizens responsible for the actions of their governments. People seem to have real problems with this simple idea - it's been the cause of a whole lot of wars!

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Oct 10 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]330614[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with you except for the phrase Tit-for-tat. I think what I was saying was
    Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-Tit-for-tat. I mean when I stole one candy bar when I was a kid, I did not just get one swat for the candy bar. I got lots of them. I never stole one again because punishment was as inevitable as the sun coming up that next day.

When you know what a dumbbell feels like when it is dropped on your foot, you do the best you can to not drop them. The world needs to know when you f with our people the inevitable will happen so don't f with them. I mean you know not to grab a 5000 volt electric fence, jump off a cliff, jump out in front of a moving train, open the sub door... I bet many people have a good grasp on this. Yet many don't know not to f with our people. I wonder why that is? Is it because retaliation for harm to our people is not inevitable? I wonder? :rolleyes:

Oh, and don’t vote for me as I am way to busy to get involve with a campaign right now.
    :lol:

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Oct 10 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]330614[/snapback]</div>
    my understanding is that you as President of the US of A would just bury the remains of the several thousand dead American citizens and move on to the next topic of the day?

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Oct 10 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]330614[/snapback]</div>
    No, you can't hold the citizens responsible, but sometimes a proportional response is necessary. The real question is what constitutes a "proportional" response. Some would argue (to oversimplify it) "a nuke for a nuke". That's not necessarily proportional because of how quickly something like that could get out of hand.

I generally don't agree with dbermanmd in areas of politics, but there are times when a military response is justified. If the only information we have is that the bomb is North Korean in origin, then we make sure everyone (Japan, South Korea, Russia, China and (yes) the UN) knows this and they know that we will be heading over there. And we ask others to help us. We were attacked unprovoked.

If North Korea sold the bomb to someone else it's up to them to prove it before we go in.

There are problems inherent in this approach, though:
    • Once we've "won", we're in charge of a very poor country whose people are starving. How do we provide for them?
    • If China helps North Korea, things could very quickly get way out of hand.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 10 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]330636[/snapback]</div>
    EXCELLENT JOB! Diplomacy obviously will play a huge role here - if they nuked the US they will make their immediate neighbors feel that much more at risk. China has to be brought in - the thinking would be along the lines of they get to choose whose side they are on - no gray areas after a nuke attack on the US if NoKo is a role player in it in any way.

And we have to plan on rescuing the NoKo populace (a million down from two years ago because of starvation).

What forward thinking solutions are there. Would that region be 100% better without kim i am ill running NoKo? the question can come down to taking him out vs a response targeting NoKo civilians which might strengthen his position???

16. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 10 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]330634[/snapback]</div>
    I don't get what your asking? Are you asking if I would be emotionally affected by this? If that is what you are asking, then yes I would be emotionally affected by the death of thousands of Americans. Just as I was emotionally affected by the events of 9-11. However, even thought 9-11 happened we are here today, alive, working on the "Next topic." Dwelling on the fact that a U. S. city was just bombed and that the U.S. retaliated to the point which the world has never seen does not mean you can take a vacation. There is much work to be done at that point. Most importantly every time a U.S. embassy, or asset is attacked that there is a retaliation 10 fold against those who did it. I mean you may not learn jumping in front of a speeding train is a bad idea on the first time, eventually you’ll get it.

How about this, every time any Prius is broken into, a zapper zaps the crap out of that person, repeatedly, every single time. I bet fewer Prius would be broken into. :D

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 10 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]330648[/snapback]</div>
    This is a simple and real scenario:

You are a newly elected US President. A nuclear device of low yield was just detonated on US soil killing thousands. It has been fingerprinted as being of NoKo origen. It was a nuclear tipped cruise missile launched by an electric/diesel submarine that itself destroyed either by itself or by a conspirator.

What are you going to do as President? You can do anything you want from nothing to going to war to dropping a nuke - anything you want. What would you, Mr. President, do? There are 300,000,000 million Americans and over 6,000,000,000 humans waiting to hear from you.

18. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 10 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]330524[/snapback]</div>

One thing's for sure, I won't be paying any property taxes on my land in North Hollywood anymore. :)

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a military system as well organized, as large as, and with the weapons available "taking out Kim" isn't going to do the trick.

You say "Diplomacy will play a huge role", I doubt that seriously. The world will, as they did in the immediate aftermath of 911, rally around, decry the use of a 'nuyaler' weapon, and basicly give the US carte blanc to respond as necessary.

That said, due to the physical location of NoKo and the characteristics of the jet stream and the friendly neighbors any nuclear response is unlikely. Further, it would probably be unnecessary. This is a landscape and circumstance where conventional military might would be better suited. We take out command and control, neutralize the air force, bomb out the capital buildings (Kim will be hidden in a bunker already of course so he won't be a legitimate target).

Once the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, the restraints on our response are removed. Hopefully we'll have learned our lessons from Iraq and the previous Korean war and will be able to quickly take control of the situation and prevent insurgence...not that it's likely that that would be nearly as big of a concern considering the nature of that particular enemy in NoKo.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 10 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]330656[/snapback]</div>
    No diplomacy from you? :D