1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is an "aftermarket" battery? Is it the same as "rebuilt?"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paige, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is my question. A woman at a place that sells aftermarket batteries said they are not "reconditioned." "They're new, she said -- aftermarket." They have a three yr warrenty. Probably built with lower quality modules?
    They cost $1600 vs $2500 for a new battery pack from the dealer.
    Paige

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are either rebuilt, or new chinese cells. you can't buy new toyota cells. i wouldn't be comfortable with either in a long term situation. they may/should recondition the pack after replacing the defective modules.

S Keith likes this.
  3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Agreed.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i don't know much, but i've learned a couple simple things from you experts.:)

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Pffft... "expert"...

Knowing what I know about the chinese-made "D" cells for the Honda IMA, I would be very leery of a pack built with Chinese made prismatic modules unless I was 100% confident in the battery builder's incoming quality system. IMHO, those modules will need MORE testing than one would conduct on modules during the reconditioning process.

The Chinese are also marketing an internally modified version that has individual sealed cells - not "D" cells but similar, i.e., NOT prismatic modules. IMHO, these are a disaster in the making.This strikes terror into my heart....

[​IMG]

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    3ProngPaul stated it best:

Should you go NEW, and something happens to the current car, you could buy a late model Gen2 Prius with a bad battery, at a likely discounted price. Swap in your good HV Battery, assuming it is recoverable, and all will be well.

Amoritize the cost of the battery to put things into perspective.
    $2071 low end cost from a legitimate online Toyota dealer
    $500 install fee
    $2571 Total cost (tax not included; possible to bypass if out of State)

Current used Prius is 11 years old w/ 145K miles. Lets use 10years and 135K miles for amoritization.
    cost per year: $2571/10years = $257.10/year
    cost per month: $257.10yr/12months/yr = $21.43/month (5 lattes a month)
    cost per day: $21.43month/30day/month = $0.714/day
    cost per mile: $2571/135,000miles = $0.019/mile​
    Getting more years or miles than 10years/135K miles, further reduces the cost.

Good luck with whatever purchase you make.

EDIT:
    Searched "toyota online parts connecticut."
    Found Lynch Toyota Scion in Manchester, CT 06040.
    $2071 for the HV Battery 2005 Toyota Prius Parts - Lynch Toyota Scion
    You will have to make sure they will sell to you. Some online dealers won't but it may be a case of just talking to the Service Mgr to sell to you b/c you are competent or have competent people to help (ie, avid DIY folks and an electrician w/ high voltage gloves).
    Since you are likely unable to DIY, I bet this dealership will give you the battery for $2071, esp if they install it (<$500 ideal).

#6 exstudent, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Paige likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you tell us the name of 'the place', we might be able to add more to your knowledge base.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An excellent point. So if the traction battery in my 2004 dies (216K miles on odometer), I should buy a new one - then if some other major issue occurs to the 2004, I could just take the battery out, tow the car to the salvage yard, and transplant the lightly used battery into my daughter's 2007...

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In your case, great automotive knowledge/skills, w/ a young adult child, I would buy the new HV battery, and put that into your daughter's 2007 (assuming HV Battery warranty has expired, so 100K+ miles):
    • Peace of mind that the battery will likely, not be the cause, of a breakdown, for a long time.
    • Maybe have her give you a few hundred dollars (you determine the amount) for the new battery; no free lunch (albeit heavily subsidized).
    • If your 2004 is a local commuter (relatively short tow home), and daughter is still going out on the weekends and long road trips, additional peace of mind for you.
    • Future breakdowns on your 2004, you can handle and write the repair procedure for the rest of us here.
    Put the 2007 HV battery into your 2004. The 2004 HV battery now becomes the core to return.

Sometime in the near future, your daughter may decide to buy her own car (new/used). Reclaim the 2007, which will have the better battery, and decide what to do with the 2004.

For the OP (Original Poster), a new HV Battery still makes sense to me (under 150K miles), only if current Prius has been trouble free (assumed to be, since she is not original owner), and she plans to drive it until the car falls apart. Obviously there will be a future repair that makes more sense to throw in the towel. When that happens, the HV Battery may still be good for a transplant into a younger Prius with a bad HV Battery.

Each owner will have to decide their risk tolerance against their finances. Don't forget to consider eliminating comprehensive and/or collision, assuming you are a good driver. As your Prius gets older, it may make sense to drop one or both of these, as the value of the Prius diminishes.

#9 exstudent, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Patrick Wong likes this.
  10. Paige

Paige Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    M & J Auto Recycling

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I called and spoke to a helpful woman.

The cells are new.
    They are not Toyota cells.

It sounds like it is possibly the Asian modules that we've been watching for some time.
    Buy it an let us know how it goes.
    I'll be here with my popcorn.

p.s. Don't forget to add the cost of shipping. There is a $975 core fee as well.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't seem to be a great place to buy a replacement battery, but what do i know? can they I've you any references from satisfied customers you can call?

p.s. it might be a good place to find a low mileage oem battery.

13. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I would expect they're just reselling one of the typical brands.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couldn't find anything on their website.

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The were very adamant that it was NEW cells.
    I may ask for a picture or talk to someone else there just to confirm.
    Maybe they are confused by wording like "New Generation Cells". Which aren't new. But just less old than the original modules.