1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is Apple going to announce on Sept. 9th?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by apriusfan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is the link: Apple confirms music-themed launch for Sept. 9 - Tech and gadgets- msnbc.com

Personally, I think they will announce a tablet device (iTablet anyone?).

If it doesn't require me to have a subscription to AT&T (as in if there is a USB port that I can use to connect my Sprint broadband data modem), I would buy one in a heartbeat.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess? New iPods with cameras and GPS chips; thus narrowing the gap between iPods and iPhones.

I wouldn't count on the tablets until early next year at the earliest.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The iMacs were updated recently, so I hope there are no changes in those - right after I buy one.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That would seem to undercut iPhone sales, which are one of Apple's cash cows.

Only time will tell. We don't seem to be disagreeing on whether there will be a tablet offering; just when. September is just in time to get people hot and bothered for the holiday spending....

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As you mentioned, the iMacs were updated recently. I doubt there will be updates/changes to the iMacs.

Tablet, tablet, tablet....

With full Snow Leopard O/S.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, not going to happen this soon, unfortunately. Next week is going to be all about music - expect a new version of iTunes, and a refreshed iPod line. The past 3 years in a row they've refreshed the iPod line in the first week of September - that way it hits the "back to school" market, and is established for the holiday season.

I highly doubt they would send in a new product release at the same time.

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    9 days from knowing what IT is....

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be surprised (albeit pleasantly surprised) if they introduced a tablet at this point. I think that most chatter seems to suggest that this would be too early for that.

I agree with the comment that souped-up iPods would undercut the iPhone market, but that's what a lot of the rumors seems to suggest. Certainly the camera looks likely; I'm not so sure about the GPS.

BTW, for anyone who thinks that Priuschat members are zealots, one look at the MacRumors forum will put it all in perspective.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    iPod inventory is being depleted and not re-stocked, which is a pretty strong signal that a new iPod offering (or offerings) will be announced on the 9th. However, does that mean that only iPods will be announced on the 9th? I don't know.

Here is something to chew on - what if there is a large format iPod device (with something like an 8 (or better yet 10) inch diagonal screen measurement) and full Snow Leopard functionality? Kind of like the current iPod Touch on steroids?

Speculating is so much fun....

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an idea. Maybe it'll be called the iPad. Like an iBook, only smaller. ;)

Or if it's entirely a musical device, perhaps iBop would be better? Hopefully the headphones will be of higher quality. A subwoofer would be nice, but there's always the problem of where to put it. :eek:

11. Hybridtheory

Hybridtheory New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard rumors of them releasing a video game console.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Isn't that what the iPod Touch is? A souped-up iPod with WiFi? An iPhone without the phone?

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The iPod Touch doesn't have the GPS chipset or the camera (not to mention the cellular communications) of the iPhone. There seems to be a clear separation between the iPod Touch and the iPhone. My earlier post was about not narrowing the difference between the iPhone and the iPod Touch. A further post that I made provided an area of opportunity for Apple to exploit with an iPod Touch that expanded the footprint of the iPod Touch (larger screen real estate with further communication (via USB port) options). Such an offering would enable an expanded iPod Touch without infringing the separation between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

However, this is all speculation. Nothing like getting the rumor mill churning. Macrumors.com started a thread about the September 9th event at 11:23 a.m. today and as the time I clicked Submit Reply for this post, the page count had grown to 13 pages with 322 posts....

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Kind of funny... but what you're suggesting is what everyone expects the apple tablet to look like. Supposedly it's going to be just like an iPhone or iPod touch, home key and everything, but much, much bigger.

The whole point of the iPod line is portable music/video - It's supposed to fit in your pocket. Releasing a 10 inch table, even if it looks like a giant iPod touch, doesn't fit in that definition. It's a whole new product market that, as far as markets go, is probably more closely related to their MacBook line than the iPods. It's a portable computer, not just another MP3 player.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On the topic of iPod improvement, I personally think that the current iPod Nano is the perfect size with the perfect dimensions and the perfect screen. Period.

When I'm working out at the gym, I don't want to strap my iPhone to my arm nor do I want to have to carry it around. The Nano in an armstrap is perfect especially when coupled with a cord keeper.

The Shuffle might be really good for runners but that's not me so I can't speak to that. I'm also not into watching lengthy videos on my iPhone so I don't want nor need a larger, higher-definition screen.

Everyone's got their personal opinion and those are mine.

16. dbz

dbz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you get an iPhone or have one, there is no need for an iPod/iTouch. I heard the iTouch will have the video camera like the iPhone, and maybe a lens mounting kit like a DSLR camera. The video camera on the iPhone is great, allows you to capture, edit and post it on uTube, etc.

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which was why I floated the idea of an iPod Touch that is around 8 inches diagonally - the larger screen format allows for more of a video experience, which would complement the growing library of videos on iTunes. More screen real estate also allows for a more robust web experience, which would cut into the netbook market.

I think the real challenge is how far to 'stretch' the iPod Touch into the tablet territory. At some point, there will be a tablet MacBook (MacBook Tablet?). Will the MacBook Tablet be announced on Sept. 9th? From the rumors I have read, I tend to doubt it. Apparently there is one more opportunity for product releases around the October timeframe. Then, everything is locked down for the holiday season with no further announcements until February, 2010.

Sept. 9th is 8 days away....

18. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    But if Apple released a Nano with more memory, would that be a good thing? Probably. Especially if the more memory was priced the same as the previous generation. Even better if the price was a bit lower - more for less....

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was thinking that would be the only thing I would improve but forgot to write it.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I want a one-pound MacNetbook for travel. Solid-state HD because for travel I will sacrifice capacity for durability and shock resistance. Ethernet, USB, and WiFi, but I can live without an optical drive in the interest of reducing weight. And of course the latest version of OS X. A half-hour battery time is acceptable, in the interest of weight, because there's always a plug available when I'm using my travel computer: I never use it while sitting on the plane or in cars or airports.

I have no idea what Apple will announce. But I want them to announce the above.