1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is "B" mode, exactly, again?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by storm petrol, Feb 21, 2006.

1. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am looking for some help further developing my understanding of the nature and function of "B" mode.

I have participated in discussion about "B" mode in the past. My operative concept has been that it is simply the use of ICE braking, primarily through compression in the cylinders. No fuel use involved. No additional generation of electricity, either. Certainly not beyond engaging MG2 by using the brakes, anyway. I thought that conceptualization was pretty sympatico with most of the folks in the forum.

My brother has recently acquired a new '06 from DARCARS Toyota in Frederick, MD. They have a great learning opportunity each month where they invite owners in to look at disassembled vehicles and to entertain questions about things Prius.

Here is a quote from my brother, who has a great head for engineering and the physical world generally. I greatly respect his perceptions about such things:

" I went to the dealership for the Q&A period tonight.  They had a Prius expert there.  I questioned the "B", regenerative braking....  He stated that the B is most useful.  He uses it often and has compared tanks with and without it's use.  Using the B gains him 50-70 miles per tank. It does generate electricity by turning the generator, not the engine, even though it has gained the "Jake break" following.  He stated that the engine typically turns over when not used at ~1000 RPMs (without fuel supplied).  Seems a little wasteful to me.  I realize that the planetary gear is an incredible piece of technology."

I am curious to hear some comments about this from those of you who are in a position to further develop our understanding. References are welcome!

I am at a loss to understand how the "B" mode could be any better than just braking, for example. Unless it, say, engaged both MG1 and MG2 simultaneously (is that possible?)

I would dearly love to hold a cutaway model of the planetary gear system in my hand so that I could see it in three dimensions. It just seems to be such a miraculous piece of technology...

I digress.

I would greatly appreciate any help that would lead me to understand this more clearly.

Thanks,

storm petrol

2. Kaos1

Kaos1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [attachmentid=2313]My brother quotes me true. Since there has been so much discussion around the function of "B" I though that I would ask the Toyota Rep himself. To his point of increasing he useful miles per tank, I can only assume that by storing away more energy as electrons in the battery than turning it into heat on the pads, discs, and drums, he is able to use the return from the battery instead of liquid fuel.

He went into the planetary gear and wished that he had a cut away model to show, instead he drew it on the back of a paper plate. Incredible is all I have to say about how it functions and wish that I could do it justice trying to explain it myself.

Kaos1

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing's first. Here's the picture of the PSD.

[attachmentid=2312]

Secondly, did he say at which speeds he uses "B"? The Japanese high mileage..ers use "B" under 34km/h (22mph). This engages maximum regeneration. I use it to help me gauge how far I need to depress the brake pedal to get maximum regeneration without use of a scangauge.

Above 20mph, the engine will spin without fuel. I used it to come down a local mountain on Friday. While I didn't gain much (I was at 7, hoping for 8 bars), it helped me maintain my speed without me having to rest my foot on the brake. Oddly enough, when I was in D and using the brakes to regenerate, the engine would run with fuel (MFD reading 1.8L/100km-2.4L/100km). When I engaged "B", the engine spun without fuel (MFD reading 0.0L/100km). I had the heater running cause we just came back from skiing and we were freaking cold.

Under normal city driving, I rarely use it except in the <20mph case but now that I'm getting better in judging how hard to brake, engaging "B" does not give me any extra resistance that can be felt from the driver's seat.

If efusco, danman32, rick57, galaxee or any other more knowledgeable person can chime in, please do so. I just hope I'm giving the right info.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, good site! I'll bookmark it.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to disagree with the "expert", but it's simply not factual.

B-mode does not create any greater regeneration than using the brake pedal...in fact it is much easier to get greater regen with the brake pedal than with B-mode. I have direct observational evidence of the exact amounts of generation via my CAN-View system. Others with other systems to measure charging have confirmed the same.

Second, the B-mode does act as a "jake brake' by using cylinder compression without fuel injection to assist in slowing.

Finally, based on the two facts above one can easily see that there is no way that B-mode can save fuel if one is doing a good job of utilizing regenerative braking with the brake pedal alone.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned in my rundown, the japanese-hypermilers-B thing is
    most likely an artifact of the Classic, which *did* apply partial
    wheel brake pressure under most braking conditions. The '04+
    doesn't, so that technique isn't needed for those cars.
    Darell -- faq is fine as it stands; lemme know if *I* need to take
    another editing pass through b-mode.html...
    _H*

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

have a look at this url.
    http://homepage.mac.com/inachan/prius/planet_e.html

9. Kaos1

Kaos1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all of the input. It really is disappointing that the Toyota rep himself has got his wires crossed. He did have good intentions though.

Do I have the take home message of forget the "B" and learn to use the brakes.

As I am early on the learning curve with this marvelous piece of technology, I realize that PriusChat is a better source of information than Toyota.

Thanks again,

May all of your hills be down,
    all of your winds be tail,
    and all of your days be 75F

Kaos1

10. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you, everyone, for your input. My brother has been justifiably impressed by the knowledge base here at PriusChat!

The picture of the PSD next to the 12 oz. can, from Tideland Prius, is a wonderful demonstration of the remarkable engineering (and metalurgy, machining, etc) that go into this vehicle.

Frank Hudon's lead on the animation of the PSD is very instructive. I never would have expected that it was the component connected to the electric drive motor that seems most analagous to a drive shaft. I mean that in the sense that if it moves, the wheels move and if it isn't moving, the car doesn't move. (I expect someone to point it out if I have this wrong!) I will be cranking up the animation periodically as I attempt to further understand the PSD.

darrelldd's lead to hobbitt's essay was a great source of info. However, I do have one picky question about it, if I may.

I had thought that the fake engine drag that occurs when moving forward in "D," with no accelerator input, came from MG1, not MG2. (To clarify, I am calling the smaller, starter motor MG1. The one that sits between the ICE and the drive motor. I think this is how it goes but I have seen the labeling of the two motors switched on occasion.) Anyway, I thought both motors could act as generators, with the starter motor generating electricity when that ersatz engine drag is felt. Hobbit's piece indicates that drag comes from partial engagement of the drive motor.

How far off am I here? Do both motors act as generators, in different circumstances? If so, under what circumstances does MG1 (the starter motor) generate electricity?

Once again, thanks to all for the information. Discerning reality has great value in my ethical system. Your knowledge, combined with the willingness to communicate it, are a precious resource!

storm petrol

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since that interactive tool doesn't identify what the vehicle itself is actually doing while those various PSD actions occur, I suggest also checking out this webpage... http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-psd_animations.htm

It was created to deal with the incorrect information still being spread. Some instances are just bad assumptions. But the reality that some Toyota employees are doing that definitely justifies taking action to end the opportunities for misconceptions to live on... like this one.

The other benefit is that seeing the flexibility of the PSD stimulates interest to learn more. Most people simply have no idea that level of variety is possible... especially with components that are permanently engaged.

12. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Darrell and Evan for the info!

My understanding of B mode, given I live in the mountains, is that I should use it when going down really steep descents. Same principal as dropping to 2 or 1 as I did in my GMC Jimmy when going down steep hills...just trying to save wear and tear, and prevent overheating of the brakes.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It also reduces recharging, which is better for the battery-pack on long decents. Otherwise, you'll encounter that "spin-up" scenario with the engine if you stop immediately after reaching the bottom.

I used "B" the other day on a very steep & long hill, without touching either pedal. It slowed the Prius down so much that I finally had to press the accelerator to regain to a fast coasting speed. "B" works very well for slowing, but definitely not maximum regeneration like you were originally told.

14. Frank Hudon

yes the main drive motor MG2 is connected to the wheel thru a drive chain and reduction gear set.
    yes these are both permanent magnet motor/generators.
    as far as I know the "creep" is produced by MG2 (main drive motor) as it's the one connected to the differential.
    in the animation if you select THS in green it'll toggle to the TSD11 which is for the new Prius. And you will get the speed of the vehicle by looking at the upper part above the Ring Note it's in km's

15. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Using the "B" tonite kept me slow & steady coming down hills in a rather nasty snowstorm, where using the brakes would have caused sliding... as did happen to others. Seemed to keep my charge in the blue - (with defroster, etc.) - whereas I'm usually green on the same stretch of road on other nites.

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's right, you guys got snow down there and we didn't get
    *anything* up here around beantown. grump.
    _H*

17. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Using the "B" tonite kept me slow & steady coming down hills in a rather nasty snowstorm, where using the brakes would have caused sliding... "

I'm not sure you can credit B mode for this. Both B and slow braking effectively use only the two front wheels. More aggressive braking would use all four and give more control than the two from B mode.

Does B mode disable VSC or ABS? If so, you also remove two powerful skid control systrems in your car.

18. Frank Hudon

B doesn't disable the ABS I know for a fact as I was in B on a sand covered paved road and had the ABS kick in. Just as a test when she first got the 2k4 to see if it was different than the 2k1 that it replaced. It's not like 4x4's that disable it when you shift into 4 wheel drive.

19. Kaos1

Kaos1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Greetings,
    This is an interesting explanation of the "B". This makes it quite clear about the technique of using B as if the Prius was just a normal automatic. I may never touch it again under normal circumstances. The article also describes the use of B to stop the engine when coming to a complete stop. The use of B at different speeds and state of charge has different effects.

Does anyone concur with this description of B? I have heard so many different tales of its use from Toyota wasting their time installing the feature to it's a miracle.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_driving_tricks

Kaos1

20. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Queston about the 04-06:

Forget B for a moment. Focus on using the brake pedal on long steep descents with the gear selecter in D. When the battery is full, what happens to the kenetic energy then? Does it become friction braking? Is it converted into electrical energy then dissapated into the air as heat energy?