1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is it about Physics...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by qbee42, Jun 16, 2008.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What is it about physics that makes it so hard for non-technical people to understand? I'm not talking about complex calculus based proofs; I'm talking about fundamental concepts. The physical concept most abused on PriusChat is the one I like to think of as the "no free lunch" part of thermodynamics. You want to do work by extracting energy? It's gonna cost you.

Another of my favorites: you draw a box around a system, any system, and look at the mass and energy inside that box and the flow of mass and energy into or out of the box. It all has to add up. It can't be much simpler than that. You don't have to understand the system, you don't even need to see the system inside the box. Why is this so hard to understand?

Okay, okay, I'm starting to hyperventilate. I'll stop ranting and go work out. All of these "water for gas" posts must be getting to me. :argue:

Tom

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, water for gas isn't too smart. Neither is hydrogen, when you think about it, but maybe its proponents never had the thermodynamics box explained to them as part of their education. Not everyone is enthused by teeny tiny particles that may or not be real, or understand the implications. Even the idea that we're looking back in time when we look at starlight tends to pop brain fuses among some people. Physics really should be part of the mandatory school curriculum.

3. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I never studied physics in school, which I regret. I'm a medical writer by trade, and I have learned about some basic principles of physics through my writing. I love it. Physical principles make so much sense and explain so much about the world around us, and inside us, for that matter.

I wish physics wasn't perceived as some totally abstract, impossible to understand discipline--it scares people off. Although my own knowledge of physics is still pretty limited, I try not to miss a chance to demonstrate laws of physics at work to my kids.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm only an uneducated bird-brain Aussie and I get it so it isn't so tough is it?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with ya Tom. I'm no physicist, but throughout my education I always enjoyed my physics classes b/c it was just so logical. Yea they threw twists and some complex math in once in a while to make you confused so everyone wouldn't get an A in the class, but the basics of Newtonian physics seem to be too much for so many.
    There's an idiot at my autoinsight online community (auto survey site) that is convinced that adding wind turbines to cars is a great way to generate energy since they'll spin as you drive. I've gotten blue in the face (blue in the monitor?) trying to explain why this won't work, but he's totally convinced and just thinks I'm dismissing his idea out of spite and that I'm just too narrow minded to think outside the box. sigh!

Likewise the hydrogen thing...he's convinced it's the future no matter how much I explain the energy cost of producing and overall lack of efficiency.

6. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think a key to any abstract concept is the ability or desire to VISUALIZE.

Seeing a picture in your mind (albeit imperfect) goes a long way towards understanding physics or any subject, really.

Some people seem to be hardwired for ease of understanding abstract concepts, like myself, or hardwired for more softer expressions as drawing and painting, like my wife.

Example:
    My wife can speak and understand 5 languages (English, Italian, Spanish, French, and Latin), and with no schooling she is a human copy machine when painting and drawing,
    But....
    the other day, after tens of years of religiously using rechargable batteries in everything, watching them be put into a recharger and plugged into the wall outlet, she still didn't know that electricity enters the batteries to recharge them.
    I was puzzled she didn't understand so I asked "Just what did you think was going on when I put the dead batteries (which you gave me) into the recharger, plugged it into the wall and one day later, gave you the newly recharged batteries back?"
    Her classic response "Uh...I don't know".
    I was flabbergasted to say the least.

Most people don't have the foundational picture upon which these concepts are based, so whatever enters their mind at the moment seems to be credible.

Although, in threaded arguments, I think some people are spuriously speculating, just for it's own enjoyment.

Which is why alot of explanations instead are left out and the term "Black Box" is inserted.

ZC1

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Evan, I know what you mean about classical physics. It works with plain common sense. Contrast that to chemistry, which is really applied physics of a specialized nature. I like chemistry, but the orderly nature of it is always disturbed by some uncooperative chemical: "These two elements should react, but refuse to do so unless we add heat, pressure, and a catalyst..." It reminds me of spelling - there are just too many exceptions to the rules.

As for hydrogen power and fuel cells, I'm very excited about the work that has been done and the prospects for practical fuel cells. I don't see them being practical for automobiles, but there are other applications, such as auxiliary power units. There are two wild cards that make this area hard to predict: 1) Cheap, nearly unlimited electricity from a clean source, such as fusion; 2) Vastly improved electrical storage, such as super batteries or super capacitors. Really cheap energy makes the conversion losses for hydrogen less of a problem, so if that ever happens it favors the use of hydrogen as a fuel. On the other hand, better electrical storage devices will make hydrogen and liquid fuels less attractive. I'm betting energy will always be expensive, and that electrical storage will improve.

Do you remember the days when nuclear fission was first being considered for electrical generation? It was suggested that electricity would be so inexpensive that it wouldn't make economic sense to meter it - just charge a flat rate for each household. That didn't work out, did it? Fission is still a good source of power, but we have learned that it is far from free.

Tom

8. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ... but then, throw the concept of entropy into the mix -- the loss of energy with each energy transformation -- and this throws a monkey wrench into the box. Next, that entropy needs to be quantified, if possible.

This is not a part of the 'water = gas' baloney, but is another factor to be included in the box.

no hyperventilating - not worth it!

9. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I remember in about my 3rd year as a physics major, I was in a Quantum Physics class. On the first day of class my professor looked at us and said. "OK remember all the physics you learned up until now. You know the Newtonian physics.... well you can forget it now it was all wrong. You were taught that because it was easier for non physics people to understand. Starting from now we will teach you real physics." We all were like wow really?

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ...and a week later the same instructor could walk into the class and say: "OK remember the real physics I taught you last week? Forget that. Starting from now we will teach you the new real physics."

That's one of the tough things about modern physics. It's changing all the time, and no one really understands how it all fits together. I saw a lot of that when I was taking atomic and nuclear physics. We would head down a path and explore it until eventually the professor would say: "That's the end of what we know right now. Here is where it looks like it is going, but there is a lot of debate in this area."

The nice thing about Newtonian physics is that it still works as a good model for most real world problems. Newtonian physics is a subset of "real" physics. If you keep the speeds under control, and the particle sizes macroscopic, it all works pretty well. Same thing with relativistic physics, but it covers a much wider range of conditions. It makes me excited to think about what the next big leap of understanding will be.

Tom

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Entropy does make it more complicated, but it doesn't destroy the model or wreck the box. The energy is not lost or destroyed, only converted to another form. Most of the time it's converted to waste heat. That heat is still there, warming up our black box.

Tom

12. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmmmm... Being a physicist myself, I don't like it when things are put that way. Every theory (classical Newtonian mechanics, special / general relativity, quantum mechanics, ...) has it scope of validity and applications. Saying that Newtonian physics is "wrong" really is a bold oversimplification. In 99.9% of the cases, it is the only theory that will give you the answers you need.

Of course, saying such things always helps to impress college students... :D

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sure anyone reading this understands, that no energy is ever "lost" (as in "disappears forever from existance") but the so-called "lost" energy is actually converted into a less usable form (for our purposes).

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely converted.
    Pure harmonic energy is the substance of mass.
    Einstein had it right when he postulated E=MCsquared

Circuit energy is lost in conversions and if we had the devices to trap such conversions, we would start with a full tank and end with a full tank.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this... heh

ZC1

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well put, vtie. I made a stumbling attempt to express the same idea. :rolleyes:

Tom

15. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why use Newtonian equations when you can just use non-Newtonian equations instead? Then you don't have to worry about the effects of gravity, size, etc... Messing up your calculations. Especially now with all the work we do on satellites and sub atomic particles. I don't know.... I say just use what is correct. I think the same think should happen in Chemistry classes. Why not teach them correct physics? All over the world today professor's in chemistry classes are telling their students "mass can neither be created nor destroyed", or they show incorrect charts of the atomic structure, etc.... Why teach them that? All those people will go through life thinking about the world incorrectly. I don't know this is just something I find really annoying about our schools.

16. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Huh? That is just plain wrong.

17. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd agree that alot of the energy conversions we undertake, as humans, is converted to heat (since we are looking for work energy), although energy conversions in the universe (as you implied) are also represented in the changes of emitted frequencies (Xrays, Gamma Rays), rarely seen particles, gravitational pulls and other such exotic stuff.

(Please don't misrepresent what I'm saying, a nearby source of energy transformations into heat is our very own sun. Even though it converts it's raw material into transmissions of energy that are not heat, it also provides necessary heat. Which of course, I believe was infactically(sp?) designed.)

ZC1

18. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A slip of the tongue, it's "energy can neither be created nor destroyed"

ZC1

19. sendconroymail

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know it is "energy" (thats my point) but in chemistry classes they say "mass".

20. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Guess I was asleep in chemistry class... as usual.

ZC1