1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is maintenance is really necessary ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FishHawk, Jun 3, 2006.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I work as a shuttle drive at a Honda/ Toyota dealership and a service rep told me that most of the required maintenance is a lot of fluff. A money maker for the dealership. The most important thing is to change the oil, rotate the tires and inspect the brakes. So, what if any other things should be checked out in your opinion on the Prius? FishHawk

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Jun 3 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]265177[/snapback]</div>
    Please refer to the maintenance book that comes with the car or this link, http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/owners.php

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would agree, of course you do need to check the fluid levels i. e. brake fluid, both coolants, fill the windshield washer, check the tire pressures, etc. The big important services such as changing spark plugs and coolants should be done as recommended. I tend to think the PSD fluid should be changed also, although I don't know how often.

I don't think you need to rotate tires every 5K miles and brakes, especially on this car, don't need to be inspected anywhere near that often. I usually rotate the tires once or twice during their lifetime. The best way to "inspect" your brakes may be to take the car out to a empty stretch of highway and brake as hard as you can from normal highway speed to a stop. Then you will know the ABS is functioning correctly.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Changing the PSD fluid was originally not part of the US maintenance plan, but some people are suggesting this at 60-90k mile intervals.

Changing brake fluid is also not noted, but a lot of folks believe that it should happen on 1 to 5 year intervals. The problem is water absorption, and devices exist to test brake fluid water content.

Brake mechanical inspection is important on any car, but so are steering and suspension components, and the condition of the CV rubber boots. What is not always understood is that Prius is just like an conventional front wheel drive down there. In other words, any competent mechanic can do it. That is, unless the new Prius needs its brake fluid bled. Apparently the fancy hand-held tester is required for the process.

There are infrequent brake corrosion problems, apparently related to salted winter roads. This is an area where the low duty of Prius friction brakes can actually work against us.

Run your air conditioner every month or two, whether you need it or not, to keep the system lubed.

Consider suspension alignment if the car drives weird, if the tires are wearing unevenly, if you drive through a crater, or when replacing tires.