1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Sale What is my Prius worth

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by jrod81, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jrod81

jrod81 Member

I have an 2006 Prius with every option (navigation, leather, bluetooth, JBL, towing package w/ hitch, etc). It has 80k miles on it. KBB.com put it at $10k for trade in (which we couldn't do because that won't even pay it off) all the way up to $15k for suggested resell. So thats nice and all but what is the real world value of this car.
    My wife just quit her job because it was doing nothing other than paying for daycare and she is a better mom than daycare right... so now we are just trying to see where we can cut budget. The plan is to sell this, paid it off, and get something like a $5000-$6000 car...
    thanks for the help
    jared

2. jrod81

jrod81 Member

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can see you've made some nice modifications to your car. Unfortunately, that usually brings the value down when reselling, unless you can find someone (such as myself) who appreciates modifications. Anyways, I think you can get $14-16k for your car on the Private Market. You should never sell your car to the dealer. They rip you off and then they end up ripping the person off who buys it.

You just need to look hard for Toyota or Prius fans who know the lasting value of our cars, and will give you a fair price. This forum is a great place to start.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great move on the stay at home mom, she will never regret it and neither will you. look over all your expenses and make a budget. maybe the car doesn't have to go? don't forget fuel usage! not sure selling yours and buying a lower cost is going to help much, definately not trading in! all the best!

5. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much do you want

6. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought a 2006 in July with all the extras you mention. Dealer price was 16,000 when I complained that there were many 2006's at 14,000 on internet they came to 12,895. Ibought it with 65,000 miles. am very happy with it as it is my second Prius

7. nuwde

nuwde New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. jayrider

jayrider Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The towing package and hitch devalues the car in my mind. Gas is too cheap to get 15k -- keep the car.

9. longhaul

longhaul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    jrod 81 : as a ex used car dealer & wholesaler of used cars, what I would do is shop it around to dealers in NW Ark like Car-Mart etc. then take the best offer the one thing that will not help it is 80,000 plus miles on a 4 year old car. Hope this helps. Longhaul

10. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I wouldn't lend much credence to KBB. In my experience they have never been even close to accurate.
    2. As a buyer of many cars over time, I would never pay more than $1000 over wholesale and ONLY after thorough inspection.
    3. From what I have seen at auctions when they (Prius') come through, your car as equipped would go for somewhere in the range of $8000-9000.00 wholesale, which places retail somewhere in the $11-12K range.

11. wardimus

wardimus New Owner of a Used 2007 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Use edmunds.com used car appraisal tool

Edmunds.com has an appraisal tool for used cars. Go to their site, click on the "used cars" tab, then use the "appraise a used car" widget on their site to determine a value. Edmunds provides a realistic price and values the car for trade-in, private party, dealer, and certified pricing to give you a better idea how much the car should sell for in those scenarios.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would say around $12-13,000 as well. i am selling my 2006 pkg 4 for around $13,000. it does not quite have the miles you have. it will have around 55,000 when it goes.

cars when they hit a certain mileage, the value tends to dive pretty quick. one thing to keep in mind; gas prices are expected to go up. some are predicting $3.50 by spring. wait till then, you will get an extra $1500 for it.