1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is that whirring sound when you turn off a Prius 2005?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sparky9292, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok,

When I power off my Prius 2005, it makes a quiet spinning sound in the engine, like there is a antenna powering back down.

What is the prius doing for about 10 seconds after I power it off?

It doesn't sound bad, just interesting.

Thanks!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine coolant transfer pump moving hot fluid into the storage thermos. Also, sometimes, the brake accumulator pump.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And just a note that the 2010 no longer has that thermos, so I'm guessing that noise will now be gone.

4. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? I thought that was more of the sucking 'whoosh' sound which was the hot fluid transfer.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It whirs. The description of sounding like an antenna is right on the money.

Tom

6. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What purpose does this serve?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The North American model of the Gen II Prius has a thermos bottle which is used to save hot engine coolant. The hot coolant is used to heat the engine at the next startup, reducing emissions and improving mileage.

The brake accumulator pump is an electric pressure pump used to pressurize the power brakes. Most cars use engine vacuum for this, but with the Prius the engine is often not running, so an electric pump is used.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Spot on description on the coolant pump sounding like an electric antenna. Mine comes with a special note that when its really cold like below 10 degrees it sounds more like a refridgerator ice dispenser. Which I have been told is normal.

9. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It goes a bit further than that. In normal running your foot pressure does not directly act on the brakes at all. Instead it moves a 'stroke simulator' and the pressure is measured by the Skid Control ECU. The ECU then decides how much pressure to apply to each wheel, factoring in how much regenerative braking effort the HV ECU says it can give, and modulates valves leading to the brake cylinders accordingly. The high pressure in the accumulator pressurises the brake cylinders, and the pump runs to maintain the accumulator pressure.

I'm not sure why the pump needs to run on shutdown. The pressure can be released simply by opening both the 'apply' and 'release' valves for one wheel cylinder at the same time. Speculating, the fluid is cycled a bit by pumping. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water) and it's likely best that the water is evenly distributed rather than having quite dilute fluid in one part.

The diagnostic tester has a specific 'zero down' function, though this may simply be that you have to have the car on for tester communication to function, and turning the car on brings up the accumulator pressure. The next step in replacing an accumulator after running 'zero down' is to turn the car off, though.

For completeness, if the Skid Control ECU fails, several failsafe valves open, directing pedal pressure directly to the front wheel cylinders. There is no pressure assist in this situation and no rear braking.

The setup has changed a bit for the 2010 car and I haven't fully understood the changes yet. It's still brake-by-wire, though.