1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what is the 12v charging amps of the gen II Inverter for HAM RADIOS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Meter guy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Meter guy

Meter guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what is the 12v charging amperage of the gen II Inverter?

i just bought a 07 prius with 43k
    i am into ham radio and i will be installing a handfull of ham radios, including one that on high power can draw as much as 20 amps from 12v system during transmit.

all the radios in recieve mode together draw about 6 amps.
    im used to traditional alternator ratings of 50 70 90 and 100+ amps but upon searching this site, i have found no info about the 12v battery charging systems amperage output.

any one have specs on the 12v charging system output?

2. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The DC-DC converter can supply 80 amps @ 12 volts, continuous.

Meter guy likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When using the radios, always be in ready mode. The tiny 12 v battery will not last.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If any of those radios are HF SSB, I suggest that you satisfy yourself that the noise level produced by the Prius will be acceptable, before you go to the trouble of implementing a permanent install.

KK6PD likes this.
  5. Meter guy

Meter guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    techntrek, thats what i was looking for. another question, not that i would do it, but if its 80 amps continuous, what is its intermittent output, usually more than continuous as typical alternators are rated.

patrick wong, ill keep your comment in mind....as of this time i dont have any HF radios to install, but someday i may install my home shacks FT100.
    the installation consists of various motorola astro spectra/ XTL5000 P25 digital and analog VHF/UHF rigs, and some commercial kenwoods, oh and a CB for those entertaining interstate drives..

jimbopalmer, when you say "ready mode", thats with the main power button of the prius on?

6. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    80 amps is the maximum, too. There is nothing analogous to an alternator on the Prius on the 12 volt system so there isn't any surge capacity. That said, there is some degree of reserve in the 12 volt battery itself but I wouldn't rely on it for fear of pulling the voltage on the 12 volt system too low, causing a crash.

Ready = brake pedal pushed then start button, like you are ready to drive. That will power the 12 volt system via the DC-DC converter, then as the 201 volt traction battery draws down it will periodically run the gas engine for a few minutes to put some charge back into the 201 volt system. Tests I've run with my 4 and 6 kw inverters (see my signature link) put the cycle at about 2 1/2 minutes on and 5 minutes off with a 1500 watt load, if I remember right.

7. Meter guy

Meter guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    im seriously thinking about beefing up the 12v battery, such as using a optima. i havent dug into my car yet, but about 6 months ago a guy came into the advance auto i work at part time, his prius was having 12v batt issues, i opened the compartment and found a typical looking 51 series honda battery, but upon closer inspection its not the honda batt, its got a funky smaller top lug in the 51 series size. im guessing my 07 will have the same smaller lug. thinking about putting a larger terminal on the harness and putting in a normal sized optima (i dont care if it sticks out in the trunk area)

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, just installed one of the direct-replacement Optimas in my Prius a week ago. Easy job.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes in Ready, the tiny 12v battery is charged by the HV Battery via the Inverter, and if it runs down, it will be charged by the engine (unless you are unwise enough to use N. Never use N)