1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the A/C switch for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zijlstra, Apr 5, 2007.

1. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

This might be stupid, but what exactly is the function of the A/C switch in the Prius (I have an '07)? When I set the automatic climate control the 'Auto' switch on the right of the screen lights up and so does the A/C switch on the left, even if I turn the heat up to raise the temperature int he vehicle.

So what exactly does the switch on the left control and how does it differ if I manually turn it off?

2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 5 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]418526[/snapback]</div>
    That is how all automatic climate control works in Toyota/Lexus.

Auto A/C means the car will automatically switch between A/C or heater (fan strength and vent locations too) based on your temperature setting.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 5 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]418526[/snapback]</div>
    On the Prius, A/C generally refers to both heating and cooling, so the "Auto A/C" on the dash board means it will heat or cool the cabin as necessary.

However, the "A/C" button that's on the MFD enables/disables use of the compressor. So, if you have the "Auto" button on, but not the "A/C" button, it will still attempt to maintain the desired temperature of the car, but won't use the compressor to cool the car; only heat and outside air.

It is a bit inconsistent.

4. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 5 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]418538[/snapback]</div>
    So, does it make any sense to manually turn the A/C switch off when you are heating the vehicle? Or is it better to have the compressor running (at least somewhat) even while heating. I know that with a 'regular' vehicle you are supposed to turn the A/C on for a short time every so often even in the winter.

5. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 5 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]418554[/snapback]</div>
    Set the AC to auto, set the temperature to 72, and leave it alone. It knows what to do and when.

6. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 5 2007, 08:16 PM) [snapback]418555[/snapback]</div>
    I am confused. I have a 07, and there is no "a/c" button on the dash. There is a "auto" button on the MFD, and a "ac" on the steering wheel, but none I know of on the dash. Can someone clarify?

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ari14850 @ Apr 5 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]418567[/snapback]</div>
    In my '04, if you press the "Climate" button on the side of the MFD, you get a screen on which there is an "A/C" button on the touch screen. This turns the (cooling) air conditioner on or off.

In "Auto" mode, you can overrule it by turning the cooling off. In manual mode, you can turn the a/c (cooling) on or off.

BTW, this is the "Other Cars" forum. You'd get more replies in the main prius forum.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A/C doesn't mean cold air in this context. It's for conditioned air (cold or dehumidified) so yes it can run in the winter but not to blow cold air, but to dehumidify the air.

9. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ari14850 @ Apr 5 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]418567[/snapback]</div>
    I was referring to the "Auto A/C" light on the dash board. Not a button. This means that the system is set to automatically heat and cool the car to maintain the set temperature.

The climate screen should have an "Auto" button and an "A/C" button. At least my 2005 prius does.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Probably the best explanation is how it works in the anti-Prius (see below). When you want to deselect use of the A/C the display indicates "ECONO" mode. i.e. economy mode. Less cost. A/C pump never comes on. You don't get to cool the car below outside temp. If you then select "defrost", it switches back to "AUTO" mode - A/C pump again enabled (for dehumidification in this case, but it keeps it enabled and uses it to dehumidify all the time and cool when required).

This is another reason I call my SUV the "anti-Prius". Most of the controls work the same as the Prius, but it uses fuel like it's never going to run out, so it's an anti-Prius. ;)

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another small point, alaskaprius, is that the AC compressor is electric, so if only a little cooling is needed for dehumidification, it only runs a little at low speed.

The biggest problem most people have with the Air Conditioning (A/C) system is when they just want fresh air from outside, without heating or cooling, maybe in June there. You set the temp setting to its lowest, then turn off the AC screen button to stop the compressor. More complicated than a Vent button.

12. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 7 2007, 02:32 AM) [snapback]419283[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for all the good info. BTW, unlike what most people might think about Alaska, it can get quite hot up here, esp. in the interior parts of Alaska, which can go into the upper 90s. I've used the A/C in previous cars plenty of times to cool down the vehicle during the summer, so I'm glad the Prius includes A/C :)

13. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ....and since it's above 40 degrees outside today, I'm running around in a t-shirt.