1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the average age of the Prius owner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by geckoboi78, Apr 26, 2005.

?
  1. 16-19

2.6%
  2. 20-29

11.2%
  3. 30-39

19.0%
  4. 40-49

14.2%
  5. 50-59

26.9%
  6. 60-69

17.9%
  7. 70+

8.2%
  1. geckoboi78

geckoboi78 New Member

I'm curious to find out the average age. Seems like all the Prius owners in this area (Va Beach, VA) are in their 60's or older.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it does appear around here that many are older. i have only seen a few that were in the 40sih and under crowd

3. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Until I was well into my 30's I had the pedal to the metal as much as possible. One would think that Naval Aviation would take that out of me, but it took several Los Angeles fender-benders to do that. My observation of the teens and twenties is that more of them are like I was than the more conservative ages. I, too, have seen far more Prius drivers in California looking like my wife and me than the poll shows, though the Hollywood population seems much more like the polls. Maybe we retired folks were the only ones who had the patience to wait a half-year or more for our new toys. Now that the wait is shorter, the less patient, younger drivers should even things out?

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see a lot of older folks on the road driving a prius. there are a few my age. I know of a few. there are thousands of prius owners in the S.F. Bay area though. I have a lead food still. I still get between 40 and 45.. it just happens that the prius stops quicker than any other car that's hit their brakes in front of me. :) good to know. It's also very safe with the VSC and Traction Control. i like my Silver BC. :)

5. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I am defintely the youngest, at 23, at our local meetups, by a margin.

matt b. likes this.
  6. Hygridder

Hygridder New Member

I live in the Silverlake/Los Feliz District of Los Angeles (just east of Hollywood District) and I've noticed most of the Prius drivers are in their 30s/40s. That's just what I've observed. Of course there are exceptions...a few 20, 50, 60+ year olds who drive them around. Supposedly, this city has the most Prius drivers in the country.

7. cmympg

cmympg Who knows? Who cares?

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, I'm in Tidewater and drive a Prius. 60 is still several years away, but it gets closer every day. Admittedly, most of the Prius drivers I've seen are middle aged (but not 60 :wink: ) though I did meet some younger ones in a parking lot in Suffolk last weekend.

I"ll look for you as I cruise 264 heading to the beach.

8. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

The average Prius owner I see around here is in their mid-late 40's.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

I guess since the car was marketed towards the 'middle age' crowd, it makes sense that the majority would be 40s and above - however, I think on this site you'll find a good deal of us 20 and 30-something crowd since our ages are probably slightly more likely to be involved with the internet - but then again, the Prius being a tech car, I could be wrong here.

-m.

10. olends

olends New Member

i dont own the car yet so the poll doesnt apply to me. i'll be 23 in june, i'll also graduate in june. so maybe when i get my college loan debt down to the cost of a Prius, then i'll buy one.

Debt Level:$36,523

11. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Maybe I have a skewed view of what people my age look like, but I swear the majority I see here look more like 50s 60s.

12. Russ Yost

Russ Yost New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about a vote for the extreme end of the distribution curve? I'm 87, a retired engineer who just can't resist the latest technology! I love my Prius - my first computer-operated car!

My profile age of 74 resulted from 1930 being the earliest birth-date I could enter into the Profile form!

13. yoda

yoda Member

It doesn't surprise me that most Prius owners are in their 40's.

No offense to the younger people out there, but let's face it - when you're younger and looking for cars, there are 2 things that would keep you from a Prius:

1. Most younger drivers are looking for "sporty" or "fast" cars. I doubt there are many that think about their wallet on gas when buying a car. Of course, with todays gas prices, I could be wrong.

2. I don't know about today's younger generation - but when I was younger, I certainly couldn't AFFORD something like a Prius. Even used Prii are going for over $20k

As to the "over 40" group - I know there are some out there that like it, but I also think that many of the older people (again, no offense and I realize that I AM generalizing) are a little skiddish of the newer technology. Hell, I can't even get my Father In-Law to keep his Sat system set in SAT mode. He keeps changing the channel with the TV remote and then wonders why the damn satellite system is broken.

Oh - That said, My Father In-Law IS looking at buying a Prius. I guess I'll have to hone my "Teaching him technology" skills. I am jealous though - When HE buys one, he'll plop down the money and drive off. I look forward to a time in my life when I'll be able to do that!

Yoda

14. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Russ,
    Good for you, I too am a retired engineer who likes the technology and fall in the over 70 group. My observation has been that all the other Prius owners were much younger. Glad to see that I am not the only old guy driving one.

15. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yoda\";p=\"84762)</div>
    Generalizing you are indeed. My 74 year old brother and I each bought a Prius last month.

Bring on the new technology, it's great!

16. Russ Yost

Russ Yost New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, Yoda, the nice thing about the Prius is how the software designers succeeded in making the car seem like an ordinary (auto-transmission) car. Don't tell your father in law about the pocket operation of the FOB(or, disable it); tell him it's like the ignition key and to insert it in the slot. After a month operating with the FOB in my pocket, I still find myself looking around for the keys to remove from the ignition lock and put into my pocket before I leave the car.

17. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Russ Yost\";p=\"84749)</div>
    Thanks, Russ. I couldn't figure out how to post my age (77) when trying to update my profile, and wondered if we were even more in the minority than the poll's category shows.

Congratulations on showing that just because we can remember Model T Fords, we are not necessarily resistant to real progress in personal transportation.

8)

18. shins

shins New Member

I'm in my mid-20's and recently bought a '05 Tideland Pearl Prius, Package 5. (Love it.) Several of my engineering colleagues have already purchased cars in or above this price range, but my student friends are likely in too much debt, without parental financing, to afford this deceptively pricey gem. (MSRP and drive-out prices are completely different and can easily affect our limited budget.)

Of all the Prii I have seen on the roads in Houston, I am by far the youngest. Most seem to be in their mid-40's to 50's.

19. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

probably the youngest here at 18.

My second car, and i absolutley love it!

Its the car i always wanted

20. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As expected, many prius owners seem to be in their 40s. I'm 42 and just got my first prius. It may be that the Prius is kinda too "techie" for older people, and too unsporty for very young people. It would be interesting to compare this distribution to other cars.

1 person likes this.