1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Is the best OBD2 scanner to buy for second gen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Acidbass32, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to activate the locking and unlocking "beeps" on my 2008 and to monitor engine stats, clear codes, etc., but according to my research I seem to need a scanning tool. To be precise, a miniVCI scanner. Now I was looking on amazon and the reviews seem to be a bit sketchy, and better yet I don't own a windows machine. So my question is. Is there another option for mac or ubuntu users that works just as well?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why not a scan gauge II from the priuschat shoppe?

WilDavis likes this.
  3. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is that able to change factory settings?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some of them.

5. flyboy09

flyboy09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ELM327 is junk! Read my post #2 Anyone own a code reader? | PriusChat

Do yourself a favor and just buy the mini VCI and get the software to emulate windows XP or Win7 on your Mac. OR get an obsolete XP laptop from an IT friend, craigslist, etc.

Do you plan to do any DIY? Get mini VCI.

How long do you plan to keep the car? Do you, family, friends, own later model Toyotas? The latest cracked Techstream software version will probably be needed for the latest model Lexus/Toyota (say 2015/2016).

Getting a check engine light (CEL) read ONE TIME at a dealership will probably run a minimum of $100. Price out the mini VCI cable, Mac software or Windows junker laptop. Total cost may be slightly more than a one time CEL read. Yes, you could go to places that offer free code reading. But, when it comes to the Prius, those generic code readers miss a lot of Prius specific codes.

If you get a Windows laptop:
    32bit XP or Win7 is the easiest set-up.
    TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such)

64bit Win7 or Win8, try this link.
    (Solution) Mini VCI + Toyota TIS Techstream 8.x on Windows 7/8 64-bit. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

M in KC and strawbrad like this.
  7. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are able to turn on and off settings like seatbelt chimes and such with this setup?

8. flyboy09

flyboy09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it mainly monitors many functions, with the engine link app, reads codes and allows you to reset codes. For me when I got the triangle of death it read the codes that told me the hybrid battery was out of sorts and pointed to bank 10. It read out the voltages of all 14 banks which confirmed that bank 10 had lower voltage readings.

I am wondering it the tech stream software can access the car with wifi instead of the cable? Maybe the ex student can elaborate?

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Techstream via USB cable only (for now). Maybe a future version will have wifi capability?

10. TheSnowSnake

TheSnowSnake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking for a cure for the triangle of death so the price seems right. Also I have a iphone 4 (hate it but have it) Lov android..

11. Cat_Prius

Cat_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviving this thread to see if this setup sounds any good. I've been looking at either the ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth or ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth.
    Computer wise, I'm running a Surface Book with windows 10. I use this computer for all vehicles I'm responsible for. (I'm the family mechanic). I just don't have much experience with hybrids and I don't want to get a Bluetooth scanner that's not compatible with my girlfriends 2007 Prius.
    And yes, I'm a tinkerer who likes to fiddle with settings and tweak things endlessly, so any recommendations on scanners and apps/software would also be appreciated.

12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my 2009 Gen back in early 2014, and one of the first accessories I purchased was a ScanGauge II (from ye Olde PriusChatte Shoppe) and then I decided to get a second (…they're addictive, no one can have just one!) so I got a second from eBay,but found that the firmware was old, however when I contacted Linear Logic (scangauge.com) their Customer Support was fabulous, and really stepped up to the plate when I asked them for the updated firmware (normally $25). They sent me a new board with full set of destructions of how to install it, I'm a certified¹ EE so am a pretty dab-hand with a "sweating-bolt²", and didn't even charge me for the shipping, and also said don't bother to return the old board. So here's a shout out for Linear Logic and the amazing ScanGauge II! :):) (y)

¹ some folk might say "certifyable"
    ² UKSpeak for soldering-iron

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those bluetooth OBDII dongles with Torque (Android) or Engine Link (iOS) are ok if monitoring is your game and better (more useful) IMHO than ScanGauge, but again each of those has strengths and it's horse for courses. However, for diagnosing Toyota/Lexus/Scion, nothing beats Techstream. The aforementioned MVCI is a good budget option and as long as you get a good working cable and you're a bit computer savvy, it works.

The new kid on the block is VxDiag (vxdiag.com) and although is pricier is a better option as what you get for you higher investment is a easier to install (and will install easily on Win 7 onwards), is faster in use and is more reliable, especially if you intend to use on multiple cars. You can also find them in that Amazing Marketplace and Fleabay. Oh, and there is a WiFi version too (but pricier again), if going wireless is your thing.

Just thought I'd through it out there, ultimately you weigh up what is important to you and spend your money accordingly.

14. carosearich

carosearich New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello, Please suggest me one good obd2 scanner under 50 bucks. I am looking for cheap obd II scan tools. (For Android OS)

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cheapest AND best is a mini vci cable with included techstream software. $15-25 on amazon. There are lots of them if you have a windows laptop. Check the countless threads on that topic. The plus is that you can do anything a dealer can to. The negative is that you have to install it on a computer and it's awkward to use while driving.

If you want wireless for Android, take your pick. Get one that uses bluetooth for your android.
    https://www.amazon.com/obd-II/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A15707381%2Ck%3Aobd+II%2Cp_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A6075053011&keywords=obd+II&ie=UTF8&qid=1496570339&rnid=2910102011&ajr=0
    The plus is that it's easy to monitor stuff while driving. The negative is that, unless you spend more and also rent the Carista app, you can't change custom settings; just read and clear codes and monitor conditions.

16. carosearich

carosearich New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok thanks. I have placed an order of "BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices".

17. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Question - I dont have the vehicle with me but does anyone know if its the 16pin or 22pin OBDII connector for the 2005 Prius?

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. Oic120

Oic120 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Touring
    Price tag?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered a miniVCi cable yesterday from amazon. I went with the one that had close to 300 reviews but those reviews were not entirely for the scanner - also included an extension cable the company was selling as well. I should see it tomorrow. There is emulation software to get Windows running on MAC. These are tools that let you keep your MAC operating environments and create space on your hard drive for other environments to 'live' and be executed whenever you want.. One that I've used is Parallels. Probably better now is Fusion. The process it to install either of these two and then decide which windows environment you want to install into it. You'll probably need to buy a license for the Windows operating system or find someone who has the CD and a license for it. Once you are running the Windows environment you can install windows based programs on it (like MS Word, Excel, etc). It would be much cleaner if you bought a cheap windows laptop on-line. I think what you would want to look for is one that is running some flavor of windows and running the 32 bit version of it. IE Windows XP which most definitely will work or Windows 7 (32-Bit) as opposed to Windows 7 (64 bit). Hope this helps. You'll see most operating systems on used machines excepting one with window XP will be running the 64 bit flavors.