1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what is the bladder all about?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by swfoster2, Oct 12, 2007.

1. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

Sorry - I guess I should already know this, but what is the "bladder" and how does it differ from a conventional gas tank? Sounds intriguing.......

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone posted this earlier (see attachment).
    Essentially it helps eliminate the evaporative emissions.

3. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

That's really cool- thanks! the pics are great too. This is ust one more thing that makes me like my Prius so much...Do any other cars have this type of fuel tank?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all part of being a super ultra low emission vehicle.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 12 2007, 12:55 AM) [snapback]524479[/snapback]</div>
    Partial zero emission under California regulations... one step below (above?) SULEV.

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, my window sticker says "AT PZEV" or "Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions," which is lower than SULEV, and sounds cooler.

Thanks for that doc, Evan, I hadn't seen that one!

Cheminee, here's a thread with some fun pictures of a Prius gas tank being taken apart: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=31545

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 11 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]524457[/snapback]</div>
    With the bladder comes the variability in tank capacity.

It's best to not sweat the "absolute" quantity of fuel in the tank. On my 2006, I know that a half tank takes about 4-6 gallons to fill, which makes sense. I don't bother running down to one or two pips. Nor do I care about trying to achieve a high mileage before refilling---when it's convenient, I fill up. Usually that's at the half-tank time. On the slowest pump setting, I have enough time to wash the windshield.

And I never try to "stuff" more fuel into the tank. When the pump shuts off, we're done. On a few occasions, a pump just won't cooperate: it keeps shutting off and I have to change pumps. A few times, a pump hasn't shut off automatically.

When the last pip begins to flash, you don't know how much fuel is left. The remainder can change with temperature. So all you know is to buy fuel now.

8. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

Thanks for the link Ichabod- I never cease to be amazed by what the Prius has inside it...... :blink: