1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stoney, May 5, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney New Member

I just bought my prius in April. I went to a street show where Toyota was displaying the Hybrids. They had a Touring Prius on display and the gentleman working the display could not tell me the difference. I own a 2007 package 6 and it looks exactly like the touring one on display. Anyone know the difference?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Touring adds 16" alloys, P195/55R16 tyres, Euro-tuned suspension (read slightly stiffer than stock) and larger Type-B spoiler. That's it if you're comparing Package #6.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) There's also a slight re-distribution of "packages" contents over the standard Prius. For example, the HID headlights with fog lights is included in the Touring base. When you get to the Package 6 or 5, there's only a few hundred dollars difference in the MSRP, little enough that I considered the 16" rims with Bridgestone Turanza tires well worth the difference. Any "actual" difference will depend on the deal you're able to make. When I completed my trade, the dealer absorbed almost all the 'difference.'

Having driven a 'standard' 2004 Prius for 2+ years, and test driving both a Touring and Standard 2007, I preferred the Touring. A bit less 'lean' on curves and turns and a firmer ride... I did revert the tire pressures to 35/33 psi as recommended by Toyota, didn't like the 'feel' at 40/38 psi which I had maintained on the 2004 Prius.

4. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The spoiler is also supposed to be longer/larger on the Touring model as well, but I've never seen pics which show any difference really. Is it noticeable even?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look at Sigma Automotive's website. He has a comparison picture.

6. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please tell me where that website is located? Thank you.

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

If I had been able to wait another year to buy mine, I would have definitely purchased the Touring, given the minor difference in price. I will probably upgrade my wheels/tires to the 16" on the Touring or something similar. I think that you can also get a suspension upgrade, but I have no idea what that costs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 6 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]436419[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php

8. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey Husker, its Steve from the LOC board. Thinking about getting a Prius I see?

Anyways you can definately tell the difference between the touring and regular Prius, the wing is noticably longer and the wheels are different. Personally, I don't care for the changes and prefer the base Prius from a look standpoint.

10. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice to see you over here!! ... guess I didn't know you had a Prius as well. Care to give me the full jist on what you think of it? If not, no big deal ... I pretty much know what to expect.

I think I'll go w/the Touring just b/c it's a little more sporty looking and feeling and I like the idea of a little larger tire. Actually someone's pic on here of their Touring in Super White cemented my mind! Looks awesome with the windows tinted ... I know there's not really that much difference in the models otherwise though.

Still unsure if I need two cars, but it's hard for me to let go of having something with more room and 4wd/AWD.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah its my fiance's daily driver.

We like it a lot, its a great little car. Hauls plenty of stuff, rides well, gets great mileage. She LOVES it. For me its a little plain, I like a fancier car, but it makes a great commuter or second car.

Have you driven the RX400h? That might give you the best of both worlds in one vehicle. I miss having an SUV/4WD in the family personally so at some point I'm going to try and con Carla into trading. Doesn't make sense for me to drive it because I drive so much, but maybe the new Highlander Hybrid coming out in the fall. She's adament about it being a Hybrid. If they made a hybrid Rav4 it'd be perfect, although niether the Rav4 or the Highlander are as high quality or built as well as the Prius.

It really does have build tolerances almost as high as a Lexus. If you sit in the other Toyotas you'll see what I mean. We stopped by the dealer the other day and sat in the Highlander and the Rav4, the quality of the interiors were ABYSMAL compared to the Prius. Hopefully the new Highlander will be better...

12. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did drive the 400h multiple times and liked it ... I had the RX 330 and just felt I'd be disappointed in a year when the new model RX's come out and I still had the old body style. I ended up trading the 05 RX 330 in on an 07 Acura MDX Sport.

My dealer didn't want to budge too much on the price of the 400h ... that played into it a bit as well. Also the fact I would have had to wait 3 months for the 400h I wanted ... one w/o wood trim. Plus with as much as I drive on the highway the 3 mpg better fuel economy (highway) didn't seem like that much of an improvement over the RX 330, although I did step down in fuel economy a touch in the Acura.

Just seems to make more sense to get a Prius and drive that most of the time if I can afford it ... pretty stupid to have a new MDX sitting around most of the time though. Ideally I would have kept my RX 330 and then purchased a Prius, but I wasn't that sold on the idea of the Prius at that point in time. Live and learn I guess.

13. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 6 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]436448[/snapback]</div>
    B) I think this is what you are looking for: [​IMG]

14. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was actually someone else, but that looks great too! :)

This is the one I saw ....

[​IMG]

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 6 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]436456[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I remember that. Have you sat in one of the redesigned models? Its just a VERY mild refresh, the all new one doesn't come out until 09.

The MDX is a really nice vehicle, I'd be torn if I were you too.

16. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not sat in the mild refresh, but have seen them ... nothing inside is new right? Except for dark wood with the gray leather ... wish they had that option when I purchased my RX.

Otherwise, I don't really notice the difference in the front end at all ... don't like the new rim option much either. Not sure the chrome door handles look right on the new RX either.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nope, they got the new high res nav screen but thats it. I sat in one last weekend.

Yeah, I prefer the old rims too.