1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the distance that is recommended to replace inverter coolant pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kimmykung, Apr 7, 2013.

1. kimmykung

kimmykung New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understood from googling that hybrid car inverter mostly got failure due to inefficiency of cooling system. However, I have never found any source mentioning about the time frame to drain for new coolant or time frame to replace the inverter coolant pump.

I live in a hot and humid weather city, Bangkok, Thailand. So I want to minimize the risk about high temperature condition that can shorten my Prius life as much as possible.

Appreciate your comments.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant is rated between 100k-120k miles "normal" service life. If you feel your duty cycle is "severe", change it at 50k-60k miles for caution and peace of mind. As for the pump, there is not enough data available to make a "time change" recommendation.

TsKarma likes this.
  3. kimmykung

kimmykung New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About the pump, did you mean you need to know the conditions, my driving patterns so the time change interval of inverter pump can be estimated?

What's time change interval of this pump in the states?

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think he means that the pump isn't considered a consumable item. We don't have plans to replace it if it continues to function.

5. kimmykung

kimmykung New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks css28.

Just wonder if there's any CEL shown up in case of high temperature of inverter in prius gen 3.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A "time change" is a component change that is scheduled based on the known normal component lifespan, factoring in the monitored conditions of said component, and changing it before it's projected failure.

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A warning message will show in the multi information display that says "HYBRID SYSTEM OVERHEAT".

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced my inverter coolant last Sunday for the first time, at 59,900 miles. It took about 1/2 gal of Toyota SLLC.

The process is pretty simple - remove the entire engine undercover (pray that you do not break any of the grimy clips), Remove the 10mm female hex plug (it'll be very tight), replace plug and install new 18mm crush washer, and refill.

When you refill, you will get about 1 qt in first. Then, power on your car for a few seconds and turn it off. Top off, and repeat this process about 3 times. After the third time, the inverter pump will sound normal; to be safe, I would leave it "ON" for about 10 minutes to ensure that all of the air has been bled out.

I think the first recommended fluid change is at 100k, but I chose to do mine at 60k anyway.

frodoz737 likes this.
  9. Cali Busy Mom

Cali Busy Mom New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yesterday, went to the Toyota dealership to have the "maintenance required" light checked. The receipt says "inverter coolant completed", and "performed hv fan service and instated new filter" and i was charged $400. Now I read that it's supposed to be done at 100-150k miles. Mine is 37,550. Is it hasty to assume that I was upsold by the dealership?

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps. Was there a good reason to do the inverter coolant so early? The fan service may have been legitimate, IF it was clogged. You can easily do that yourself, though.

11. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've owned/own Gen1, Gen2, and Gen 3 Prius'. In my Gen 1 Prius and Gen 2 Prius, I had changed each of the Inverter fluid pumps out at 100K-120K miles, I had the Gen 2 changed out again(free from Toyota TSB/Limited Service Campaign) around 220K before selling it at 270K. Today on my Gen 3 2014 Prius Plug-in, I'm replacing my Inverter Coolant at 163K miles, and since I'm under the car, I'm also replacing the Inverter Fluid Pump with the $85 pump from Amazon that I bought last week. If I don't end up getting a used 2020 Prius Prime in the next couple of years, then I will swap it out again after another 120K miles. To me, the $85 cost to preemptively replace it is well worth not overheating my Inverter on the road. The following thread is very useful when you do need to replace it on a Gen 3, AND I've already successfully removed and replaced the 1 top Inverter Fluid Pump bolt by accessing it via the top of the car without even having to loosen ANY of the inverter assembly: 2nd DIY Inverter coolant pump replacement: No inverter touched | PriusChat

12. BrianStranded

BrianStranded Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My inverter pump failed at 161,000 miles. 2011 Prius