1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the economy score and how do you get an economy score over 60? I gotten a MPG read of 50. .

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by tgpii, Jul 12, 2013.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What is the economy score and how do you get an economy score over 60? I gotten a MPG read of 50. . .60.. . and even 70, but my economy score was 60 how is that possible?

2. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't worry too much about eco score, if you see your MPG is increasing while driving you're doing good.

Eco score getting higher when you don't move your foot. On the weekend when I drive on freeway for about 20 miles I get it up to 98: 55 MPH on the right, keep my foot at the same position for the entire freeway trip so the green part stays at the same spot. That means the speed is changing slower when up hill and faster downhill: some spots I have 42 MPH uphill also 62 MPH downhill and steady 55 MPH flat roads. I got to do a lot of reverse passing though.

tgpii likes this.
  3. RichJabo

RichJabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From the manual:

■Eco score
    ●As the accelerator pedal is not depressed, the driven distance using
    cruise control (if equipped) is not included in the eco score.
    ●As the eco score evaluation differs according to driving conditions and
    environmental factors, in some cases it may not be linked to fuel consumption

The Eco score is basically worthless, it has little correlation to mpg,

tgpii and ztanos like this.
  4. If you hit the gas at a light, then your Start score might suck... same if you have to hit your brakes suddenly, but if you then cruise for like 30 miles on backroads or wherever, your cruise score will be pretty high.

The ECO score doesn't weight your cruise as being more important even if you cruise for 30 miles. That's one thing I wish they could have adjusted about the ECO score calculator.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed. The cruise would rather you stay at the exact same throttle position than achieve good gas mileage, even when said throttle position hurts MPGS.

6. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The ECO Score is a great beginners guide to the Prius c, but it can only go so far.

7. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Never mind Toyotas computer cuteness; the real economy score is the multipication of average speed times mpg for that average speed segment. Its not hard to get values of 3000+. And nothing indicates economy better than that unless you want to include weight, as in the economy score per ton as in avg spd x mpg divided by weight of vehicle in tons.
    Its old school competitive economy runs, like Mobil's. Manufacturer's went out of their wa\y to advertise their cars when winners.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    give up that multiplication score already... you've sung it aplenty and nobody has bitten.

tgpii likes this.
  9. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did you know that the Prius C one has no cruise that is one reason I got the two.

10. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What is the economy score and how do you get an economy score over 60? I gotten a MPG read of 50. . .60.. . and even 70, but my economy score was/is at most 60/65 how is that possible?

Maybe the ECO score is more for exhaust and other things for the environment? Not just meant for MPG?

Anyone know how to use that MPG calculator that comes in when you fill it up? I notice it only comes on when you fill the tank up all the way. Also, it always goes off before I can even read the whole screen!

11. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What is the economy score and how do you get an economy score over 60? I gotten a MPG read of 50. . .60.. . and even 70, but my economy score was/is at most 60/65 how is that possible?

Maybe the ECO score is more for exhaust and other things for the environment? Not just meant for MPG?

Anyone know how to use that MPG calculator that comes in when you fill it up? I notice it only comes on when you fill the tank up all the way. Also, it always goes off before I can even read the whole screen!

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not cruise control.. cruise on the eco score.

13. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

If you want a high eco score try this early tomorrow morning when almost no one driving around:

1. From a complete stop near a freeway entrance with no traffic lights: start driving with your odo reading one MPH increasing at the time to get into the freeway. You might need to start from a shopping or business center near that freeway.
    2. I hope there's no one in the lane you merge into the freeway, you might not be able to have 40 MPH speed at that time, keep the odo climbing up to 55 MPH and stay there.
    3. Observe the green line position, probably just a little pass the eco section arount 10 - 11 o'clock, and from now on keep that green line staying there. Don't worry about your speed because it will be up and down: up to more than 60 MPH or down to 40 MPH. You might need to do reverse passing if someone is behind.
    4. Drive about 20 miles and exit the freeway.
    5. Let go your gas pedal and try not to brake until your speed around 7 MPH and stop. You might need to get into the site streets to do this.

Now look at your eco score and smile.

14. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    LOL I don't really care about the score, I was just wondering about the score and MPG.

15. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This has already been answered - stop wondering.

The ECO Score is a set of training wheels. In terms of the Start/Cruise/Stop ratings out of five, there is some correlation if you were not previously really getting it, but there is no absolute link between the ECO Score and fuel economy.

Don't even start with the ECO Score number /100. Let me be clear - there is NO direct link between the ECO Score number and your mileage and only the barest of association between the two. We don't even have clarity of exactly what the number represents. When Toyota first introduced the c to journalists they obviously told them it was a "ranking of the last 100" and they all dutifully reported the same thing in their reports. I can't tell you exactly what the number is, but I can tell you that this "it's a ranking" business is flat out wrong.

If you're past the training wheels stage and your focus is mileage, forget the ECO score.

16. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How do I close this thread?

17. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You start a verbal confrontation that escalates into name-calling, get suspended for a week or two and the moderator may disappear the whole shebang down the memory hole. Or not.

Other than that, it may keep going. Like this:

Please be aware that the eco score is calculated ONLY from the time the car accelerates from a COMPLETE stop until the car stops COMPLETELY the next time. That's it! You may drive 500 miles and get over 100 miles a gallon and still show a lousy eco score because it has recorded a distance of 50 feet between the two last COMPLETE stops. After playing with it to see what it likes for starting off (very light pressure on the accelerator, preferably battery only) cruising ( very gradual accelerations, lots of gliding and coasting) and stopping ( again a glide or coast with a delicate pressure on the brake until the complete stop) I have paid scant attention to the eco score. It's simply not that important and pretty much useless except as a teaching tool - Not that there is anything wrong with that.

IMG_3580 (700x264).jpg IMG_3640 (700x320).jpg

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No, higher MPG by driving further is failed statistic, your goal should be to use the least gas, not to get the highest MPG. Gallons per month, for the win!

19. Like ztanos and Rob.au indicated, a high ECO score does not correlate with maximum fuel economy. It's just a guideline.

Although it can be fun to test out, like I managed a 0-50 mph plus braking with an ECO score of 95/100 the other day. Yet, I still got the same high fuel economy as when my start sucked or when my braking was harder.