1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the Field-of-Vision With the Backup Camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tenor1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Tenor1

Tenor1 New Member

Does the camera improve your periferal vision greatly when backing out of a parking space? We didn't get to test a car with the camera in person. The Prius seems to have reduced rear-window visibility.

It seems at Costco we are always parking between huge SUV's and backing out in a Prius sounds scary to me. Does the camera have a wide enough field of view to help reduce my anxiety?

Thanks,
    Tenor1

2. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Tenor1

In my opinion the camera helps greatly to see what is behind you. Now that I have it on this car, I really wish my other vehicle had one also!

I am suprised at how wide of an angle it does pick up and what you don't see on the cam you could easily pick up in the side view mirrors, I understand what your saying about not being able to see, but it really does make a difference.

I know folks talk about the blind spot while driving, but honestly I haven't run into a problem with it yet.

Obviously the easiest way to tell is to try one out with it in.

Happy shopping :)

3. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tenor1 @ Jul 12 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]477754[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think the back up camera is that GREAT. It's pretty distorted aka objects are closer than they appear. I think it would have been more helpful if it had the back up sensors as well.

I go to costco all the time and have no problem when backing out from in between two gas hogs. I don't think that has to do with the camera much though. But I would make sure you test drive with one because you might this it's awesome and can't live without it.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy Tenor1

It's difficult to specifically anwer your question. From the 2007 Owner's Manual (Pages 302-305) the diagrams imply a field of view of about 30º to each side and about 80º down and about 20º up from horizontal - that is, you can actually see objects about 9" behind your rear bumper guard on the ground and backward for a long distance. As for the side views, you could probably see objects to the side from, say 2' behind the back corner of your bumper and continuing from a long distance.

The real problem is that the lens is 'fisheye' which distorts the view considerably. The upside is that you can detect that 'something is there' but judging distance is virtually impossible. Another positive is that at night the sensitivity with the backup lights on is very good - looks to me like I can see at least 30-40 feet back. The lens is located about 12" left of the license plate and about level with the top of the license plate.

I do value the backup camera to alert me that 'something IS back there' but I do the 'swivel neck' routine (as taught me by a flight instructor) to look directly as well as checking all three rearview mirrors. I don't have adequate confidence in the backup camera to feel comfortable backing into a parking space between two SUV's or large cars, so I drive in frontward and use the backup camera backing out.

That's a lot of verbage... rambling I suppose. Just my opinion.

CIAO - Charles

P.S. I sing Baritone in a Civic Chorus [100 singers] and my Church Choir [~130 singers]

5. Tenor1

Tenor1 New Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Seems like the camera doesn't do all that much to me for the long run. The dealership only has the most basic model to test drive. My thoughts now are leaning towards the basic touring package and I'll post a question on that issue.

Many thanks,
    Tenor1

PS - I sign in my church choir also, about 40 of us on any given day. We're on summer break now until September. I also play classical piano and play in a small recorder group. Two of the players have the white Prius and we're considering the same color, lol.

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tenor1 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]477933[/snapback]</div>

At least get the back-up camera and SmartKey options. They are must have options that really distinguish the already unique car with neat technology that really set it apart from the ordinary. You haven't lived until you've been liberated from a car key !!

The back-up camera view is good enough to see whether you're gonna back over/into something, but too distorted in curvature to use as a sole visual reference backing up over long distances.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The situation where the Backup Camera really helps is parallel parking. You can see the car behind and you can see the edge of your own rear bumper, so it makes it much easier to parallel park.

It helps in other situations too, but I don't trust it completely and still look over my shoulder when backing when there may be other vehicles or pedestrians.

SKS (smart key system) is my favorite option on the car; I really recommend it. Once you get used to it, you will have to adjust when you drive a "normal" car.

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ooh, singers! :)

I'm a baritone by birth but usually sing 1st tenor, and sometimes alto too (which is actually my favorite voice to sing in). I used to sing in a church choir long ago before I got de-converted. Nowadays I sing in a small community chorus just to keep my voice in shape. Singing's so much fun, it really reduces your stress level.

Back to the topic at hand: I've learned to use the camera to judge how close the rear bumper is to an object on the ground (like those cement thingies in parking lots). It's quite amazing how accurate you can get once you've figured out what to look for on the screen. Now if only I could install a front camera to do the same. My wife finds it hard to judge where the front bumper is, she often gets too close to a curb and scrapes the bottom of the front bumper. Yuk!

9. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, the backup camera does help you see better when stuck between two large vehicles. It's definately noticeable. I remember the first time I realized what a difference it made and I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

It doesn't see too far out to the sides, though, so as soon as you clear the vehicles, you'll still have to look around to see if anyone is coming down the parking lot.

10. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just bought a base model here in Sydney Australia and fitted a reverse camera as we had been impressed with the one on the demo that I test drove. I find that now I am tending to back into spaces rather than nose in, as the camera works better in low light situations, and it is easier to see as you close in on the wall, or the vehicle behind you. Its much easier to leave the spot, as you can see much better going forward into the stream of traffic.

11. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The backup camera is a useful tool, just as mirrors are. The image is distorted somewhat by the fisheye nature of the lens, so it's not too useful for judging distances or angles, but that same distortion gives a good field of view and allows the driver to observe areas behind the car (and off to the side when parked between or next to larger vehicles) that neither mirrors nor turning around and looking backwards can show. Small children or objects immediately behind the car but not tall enough to be visible through the back windows, or people approaching the rear of the car from the sides but obscured by nearby vehicles can be seen with the rear camera very easily. Anything that adds to the confidence of the driver in being able to see potential obstacles in blind spots or is a good thing.

The camera just needs to be used as an additional aide when reversing, and it's value will become obvious.

12. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sassy Pamela @ Jul 12 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]477770[/snapback]</div>
    This is it's biggest "drawback" but also it's biggest strength, IMHO. As others have noted, the field of vision is surprisingly good -- BUT you need to be really careful of the distances because of the fisheye distortion. Don't go blasting backwards thinking you have lots of room, because you probably don't. Once you get that drilled in your head, and take it a slow pace it's great. I can get out of some really tight spots with minimal turns by getting up close and personal with the object behind me. I'm sure it scares the sh*t out of anybody watching though...

13. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

When backing out of a parking space, which do you look at first, the rearview mirror, the rearview camera, or the side view mirrors? Those wide posts are what bothers me, and there seems to be a blind spot in both the left rear and the right rear. Are blind spot mirrors a good idea?

Mary

14. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually start rolling first, then glance back left and right to make sure there's nobody coming out of range of the camera. Oh, one other thing that's important to remember, don't start turning the wheel while looking only in the camera or you'll find yourself turning too soon and smack the car along side you. I almost did that once or twice before learning to look forward again before turning...