1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the going rate for a GEN 4 engine looking for one San Jose area.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Dec 24, 2022.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the title says it all if can recommend a place or tell me what year where the oil ring issue addressed in Prius gen3. IN addition what doe 7th and 8th Vin mean when you see it on a engine for sale.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not another failure? What happened to the gen4 in the gen3 prius?

CF3EDDC8-4B48-46E9-8095-42FFEDBA3485.jpeg

0449FB4F-4D02-4F2B-9FE5-D5FF79BFB0BB.jpeg

#2 rjparker, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's lots of sources for these engines and they're surprisingly affordable. First step would be to shop around for a mechanic who has done these swaps before. Even if you plan on doing the work yourself, these mechanics will have a wrecker they partner with to buy these engines from and that will get your foot in the door on price points and then you can start calling wreckers directly to get prices. One time my friend who rebuilds Prius let me use his business name and the wreckers sold me an engine part at their business partner price of 50% their retail price with no sales tax. That was nice!

4. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not really sure I suspect the one time it overheated 20K miles ago it suffered a block or head damage. I am getting fluid in the oil Very little but enough, I changed the head gasket everything within spec so proceeded with replacement started right up no issue and no rattle start before or now but still getting water in the the oil. gasket was only 80 bucks and my time so no major cost. I will not give up on this car (fix that Prius!) "This is the way". It has way too many new parts. newish trans water pump brake actuator, brakes, tires, etc. Again no startup rattle or anything just fluid in the oil. So how can I confirm if it is the head or block. My intention is to get it on the road and fix the engine later as it will be my commuter I put about 60 mile a day on this car I will need a another engine later.

Attached Files:

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you seeing any white slimy stuff around the oil fill cap yet? Seems like measuring the amount of coolant loss into the oil every 1000 miles might be a wise way to schedule addressing it. As in once it goes from a little bit of coolant in a 1K miles to a lot of coolant, that tell you when it's worth working on again?

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like he wants to change the engine and then repair the existing gen4 motor. It is possible that the gen4 head gasket fails in a different way. I wonder if it could be something else like the intake manifold?

7. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    see the pic you tell me, what do you think? I changed the head gasket and the oil and filter cleaned it and white stuff came back.

8. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Intake? how would coolant enter the crank case from there? In any case can I use a 2017 prius prime engine? its still a 2ZRFXE. I hate when they post pics but you cant see the wrecked part I saw one so bad I did not want to buy it, the wreck looked so bad Its hard to believe the engine would still work properly. Im willing to get a gen 3 engine but what were the years where they fixed the oil ring issue? and how can I confirm im getting the right year engine? to add to it they all say less than 60 or 80 k miles on it.........right how can I make sure im not getting a 2010 Prius engine with 175K miles know what I mean.

#8 johnnychimpo, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A revised gen3 engine has a vin higher than those listed in the first picture above. All Toyota engines originally sold in the US should have a Vin plate on the back of the engine near the timing chain cover.

However, the used JDM engines exported from Japan never had a vin. Most salvage yards here usually take off the vin plate. So no vin plate means no way of knowing what year the engine was made. Even if the engine has a Vin plate and its a production number higher than listed above you still don't know if the engine was abused.

Lkq is about the only salvage yard I would trust. I always suggest getting a rebuilt engine from a known good rebuilder. A good rebuilt will include revised pistons and rings. In your case, Hybrid pit in Southern California would be a good choice.

95A9D438-67D4-45B3-A6D5-FABED2E83D67.jpeg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I didn't see that pic before... Have you measured the coolant loss rate yet? Normally Gen3 headgaskets leak into the combustion chamber not the oil passages so I'm skeptical, especially because you already did the head gasket.

Also I had an old Subaru once that had an oil fill cap that looked like this. And it wasn't the coolant that caused it and never figured out how water got into the crankcase but I do live in a part of the world where it rains constantly all winter and had a cold air intake style air filter and got rid of the OEM baffles that help limit moisture in the intake system.

Is it possible that this moisture isn't coming from the coolant system? Have you driven on any flooded roads lately? How quickly does the problem return after an oil change?

Also keep in mind it takes very little water vapor to rise up and collect on the cap as white sludge as its at the highest point of the engine.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    He has a gen4 engine in his gen3. Somehow his gen4 engine is leaking coolant onto the oil.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wait, you're changing engines because of some emulsion under the cap??

I can't tell you if your car has any head gasket problems, but I can tell you that nearly every car on the road will show some "mayo" under the oil cap when used for short trips in cold weather. It's atmospheric condensation getting thrashed into the oil.

If your coolant level is dropping at the same rate as you're finding garbage in the oil, then I'd say you're on to something. But I wouldn't be taking any significant action based on that one photo.

If I did anything, I'd start with a long drive to get the oil up above the boiling point of water to clarify it.

Mendel Leisk and Tombukt2 like this.
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And buy JDM engine and possibly trans that ain't been messed with by US engineering outfits all around our country . Be surprised how long things can last with minimal hands on them . Guys really into JDM stuff can get you setup . Lot of us know some of this stuff. Especially out west this is where all the JDM nonesense got started. Remember ATK etc . I've had skyline engines in MA Supras . 85 .

14. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Well along with the oil cap I get water in the oil catch can about half fl oz and a little slime in the oil dipstick. Not to mention I changed the head gasket and changed the oil twice.
    I will take it for a 4 hrs drive see what we get in any case I got the vin of donor car. Can anyone check the carfax? says it has 45K on this 2017 prius prime. which by the way should fit this 2010 prius? Can anyone confirm that? these should all be 2ZRFXE right?

VIN : JTDKARFP3H3003192

Tombukt2 likes this.
  15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm sure they'll be some plumbing issues like the Gen 4 into the Gen 3 etc they're always is in an engine swap

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looks like engine families correct

17. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So confirmed loss of coolant so how can I tell if its the block or the head with the failure. If head I will get a new one.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 2017 prius prime is a gen4 engine. You have to pay for a carfax but a reduced price $11 option is at [email protected]. He will send you instructions. Works, just pulled one six weeks ago.

19. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea a gen 4 is what is in there now just wanted to confirm my suspicion.

20. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want to confirm this issue so I realized the coolant one was hot two driveway is on a slight slope.
    So how long can I leave the car running to give me a good reading on coolant loss. cleaned the oil cap and oil catch can.
    SO 1 hr 2 hr what do you guys thinK?