1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the highest percentage of Ethanol

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by madams, Mar 22, 2005.

1. madams

madams New Member

Anyone know exactly how much ethanol that the Prius can burn without messing things up. It appears that the state of IL is going to start really pushing that stuff.

2. D'Tan

D'Tan New Member

Well, from what I've seen at john1701a's website, it'll do E10 (10%) without any trouble. And according to this website, http://www.creedproject.org/stream_v7n2.pdf , it'll run on E85 (85% ethanol), BUT they don't know about the long term effects on the engine. And the check engine light was on during the testing.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my area of WA state has used E10 for over 15 years now. i still get EPA in the summer time so your car will be fine with that.

4. madams

madams New Member

THanks for the post on the E85 fuel, it appears there are some issues with it and the Prius. Currently the state of IL allows 10% ethanol in the fuel and neither of my Prii appear to be affected with that blend. I know there are some car and small trucks (ford I believe) that have that little green leaf on the outside of their cars that signifies that they can burn E85 fuel. I was just wondering if the Prius was a problem . . . it appears it can't with out some modifications.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good article. I think if Toyota applied a bit of their R&D, they could easily develop fuel/ignition and Mode maps to compensate for E85. Since both the short-term trim and long-term trim appeared to indicate too lean, that's why the cold start emissions were more: the computer was enriching too much.

Overall, without modification, E85 vehicles can be hard to start especially 0 F or colder. You usually have to "overfuel" on startup to minimize or eliminate this problem.

I believe a compensated PCM map, utilizing a sensor input from the tank to detect n-heptane, could easily trigger a transistion from the stock map to the E85 map.

More info at:

http://www.westbioenergy.org/reports/55032.../55032final.htm