1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the idle rpm at maintenance mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qnami, May 14, 2020.

1. qnami

qnami Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, I just completed Intake manifold clean (replaced manifold gasket, throttle body gasket and little gasket that connects to egr tube) Installed and torqued based on manual 21lbs i think. And just tightened throttle body.

Cleaned egr tube and valve and cooler. (soaked cooler in purple power and rinsed with water multiple time. Put it in oven and before install I sprayed again with brake fluid)

I also drained the water and refilled. After watching youtube vid from Nutznbolts I don't see any movement in my coolant tank. No bubble or nothing.

Car runs at 900-1100 rpm and temperature holding 180-190F (around 85C) Just took out for quick spin for 15 minutes. Monitored temperature and it holds.

Only thing I notice is little hissing sound when gas is applied (right now I didn't install undercover or top, no wiper motor and cowling)

When I arrived home after 15 minutes of driving (35-48mph) checked Long fuel trim which is Negative 4.8. Idle RPM is still averaging 1000 at maintenance mode. But discovered my coolant cap popped out ( I am hoping i didn't tighten properly)
    Is this normal? what is idle RPM at maintenance mode? so far car hasn't thrown any code and coolant level is same. Thanks in advance

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you driving around in maintenance mode? That's not recommended IIRC.

I'd suspect 1000 is normal maintenance mode idle speed.

3. qnami

qnami Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No I drove normal way. I put maintenance mode when I was bleeding cooling system. Drove normally (normal mode) and came back and put car to maintenance mode to check RPM and temperature.

It's my first time working on prius and coming from normal car which idle RPM is around 650-750 I thought 950-1050 (average) seems to be high. Since I cleaned manifold and changed gaskets and PCV I was afraid I have vacuum leak somewhere.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had ScanGuage hooked up for a number of years, and IIRC would see idle fall back to around 900~950. This'd typically be at highway speeds when I was completely coasting.

I've never put in Maintenance Mode, will this fall though, due for coolant change.

There's some intake manifold, throttle body and EGR torque values in the attachments. If you're using anti-seize I think it's recommended to reduce by 25%. The EGR studs in particular might benefit from light coat of anti-seize:

qnami likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any dash lights on:whistle:?