1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What IS the maximum acceptable inverter temp??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JimboK, Sep 16, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With temperatures now starting to dip and the AC hopefully turned off for the season, I put the grill block back in yesterday with all the but the bottom-most slit in the lower grill covered. With that slit open and Can-View monitoring temperatures of the ICE, MGs, and inverter, I'm not worried about overheating. But as I consider when to block that last slit, I'd like to know the maximum acceptable inverter temperature. A PC search turned up comments such as, "My inverter gets to [x] degrees [with a grill block]," or "I don't know what the maximum temperature is." But I can't find anyone citing a maximum safe temperature. Does anyone know one, preferably supported by Toyota documentation or other reliable source?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere in the bowels of PC there was some pretty extensive discussion of this. It's believed that the Inverter can tolerate some pretty incredible temps...230F range. But it's also clear that Toyota tries pretty darn hard to prevent it from getting anywhere near there.
    I started getting nervous when temps started getting up to 120 on a regular basis...it never seems to get anywhere near that, summer or winter, without grill blocking and I figured that was probably by design.
    Light on data, heavy on speculation I know, but that's all I got for ya.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the "operation history data" part of the repair manual, which
    details various recorded out-of-bounds measurements [for '04] ...
    _ MG2 (NO 1) TEMP HI -- motor temp above 174C (345F)
    _ MG2 (NO 2) TEMP HI -- trans. fluid temp above 162C (324F)
    _ MG2 INV TEMP HI -- motor inverter rose above 111C (232F)
    _ MG1 INV TEMP HI -- generator inverter rose above 111C (232F)
    _ CONVERTER HEAT -- boost converter temp rose above 111C (232F)
    _ COOLANT HEAT -- inverter coolant forecast temp above 65C (149F)
    I have no idea what "forecast temperature" is, but it looks like
    the inverter's coolant loop is expected to stay on the cool side.
    This is supposedly data that the ECU would store long-term so a tech
    could hook up a scantool and make judgements about your driving
    style. Some of the items are a bit big-brotherish or just don't
    make any sense, such as if you pressed the accelerator while in
    Neutral [bfd] or my favorite,
    _ PREVENT STAYING -- engine speed stays in resonance frequency band
    which I've *never* gotten an answer on what the F it means.
    anyways, hope this helps. It's all in the TIS stuff.
    _H*

T.S. Elliot and SFO like this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    On the electricals side, I stongly suggest 'the lower the better'. In nhw11 Prius I don't think I ever saw inverter temperatures above low-90s oC. Note that this is not a pressurized coolant system and it you ever got above 105 oC, you would be pressure-testing it. Probably a bad hobby.

All that is separate from what the inverter semiconductors can tolerate safely, and uninformative on when the computers might act to put you into some sort of limp home mode.

Max noted for MG1 (which ran hotter in mine) was 105 oC or so, and rare. An MG2 failure recently reported here was concurrent with 160 oC recorded. So don't do that!

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Hobbit, my memory was right on w/ the 230F mark. In any case, I still stand by the keep it lower philosophy, I'd guess that at 230F there's probably been damage or is very near the damaging range.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 16 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]513502[/snapback]</div>
    I was worried last summer when driving at freeway speeds (70-75 mph) in external temperatures arround 100F for an extended period of time the higher of the 2 (I don't remember whether it was MG1 or MG2) reached 184F. This was between Winnemucca and Reno. I don't know whether the altitude was relevant or not. That's the only times I've seen either inverter temperature above 160F. Usually, it's much lower than that.

This was according to CAN-View, and I never noticed a problem with performance or any lights on the dash indicating a problem.
    Is the fluid in the motor generators and the transaxle the same? I'm approaching 60k miles, and thinking about replacing the tranaxle fluid.

Dave M.

7. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info!!i needed it for a while

8. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is there a way to check the mig I & II temperatures through any of the MFD screens.

If not where can I get the CAn-View tool?
    I have found the Scan-Gauge II, but cannot tell if the ScanGauge tells me Mig temps.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Sep 17 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]513883[/snapback]</div>
    1)No
    2)hybridinterfaces.ca may still have some available, but he's discontinued making new ones. Someone was selling theirs here recently too...check the private sales area.
    3)There's a thread active today about the new SGII and it's capabilities. It's going to have most of the data that CAN-View does with the new upgrade.

10. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm resurrecting this thread because sometime in the near future I want to do some grille block testing, looking at (among other things) heat buildup under the hood. I've spent an hour or two searching the PC archives and chasing external links. From what I can gather, it seems we don't know much more now than we did when I first posted this.

First, it seems pretty clear to me based on Hobbit's post here, discussions elsewhere, and my own observations, that overheating of MG2 is extremely unlikely. (Can I assume MG1 has the same "out-of-bounds" thresholds?) I've never seen MG temps come close to 100C, much less 162C+. I should qualify that by saying I don't do continuous monitoring of MG temperatures, only spot-checks. My testing will include continuous monitoring.

To the original point of the thread: Of eyewitness accounts of inverter temps in day-to-day driving, the highest I could find are Tochatihu's report of 90C-ish from his NHW11 (post 4 above) and Frank Hudon's report of 87C on a steady high speed climb up an 11% grade. I have seen them as high as 150F-ish in sustained summer highway driving -- again, via spot checks. Many of the more-learned-than-I around here suggest something around 150F as a maximum. That seems a bit arbitrary (not implying that's a bad thing), but it also seems to offer a wide margin of safety and will keep the electronics happier within their thermal comfort zone.

So for my grille blocking, for both testing and continuous use in cooler weather, I propose to keep inverter temps at the same (semi-arbitrary) 150F or below on a sustained basis, but to allow occasional spikes to 170F-180F. Any higher than that and some of the block comes out.

What say ye members of the PC brain trust?

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm going to get a little technical here, and I won't be giving you a set point to avoid, because I haven't done the detailed calculations as I don't have the technical design documents the Toyota engineers used. ;) But for purposes of better understanding and perhaps to scare us all....

There will be other limits, but the one that concerns me is the maximum junction temp. of the power semiconductors in the inverter. Being silicon, they will be rated at about 200 deg. C max, but you have to "derate" their power handling capacity when you get the junction temp. above 25C. The graph almost always looks the same - on a graph with power in the vertical axis and junction temp. on the horizontal, draw a horizontal line at the max. power handling point to 25C, then diagonally down to 0 W at the 200C point on the horizontal axis. Be aware there is some thermal resistance between the junction and the case, and more between the case and the heatsink (the inverter coolant in the case of the Prius). If you are unfamiliar with the term, you multiply the added together thermal resistances from junction to heatsink by the power being handled to get the temp. rise across that "gap". This often results in a 200W semiconductor being only able to handle 100W or less at operating temps.

I'm sure the engineers left plenty of room for the temp to wander up, as that is what they do. :) But something to consider when wondering "how hot can it get before it goes poof". Also stated "don't let the smoke out!"

12. Schunken

Schunken New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I suppose only as a rule of thump you schould not move much above 100C, thats the temp most CPUs and GPUs can handle...

I know it can not compared directly, but not forget all the condensators on the inverter board... I suppose they do not like an ambient temp much above 80C, if only one condensator spills his electrolyte out of his vent the inverter is screwed....

Andreas

13. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I certainly plan to stay well away from 100C and, again, would approach 80C only transiently.

My first consideration indeed is avoiding "poof." But you also seem to be suggesting an operational performance falloff with heat buildup at temps well below failure threshold. Am I reading you correctly? And what would be the consequences of a 200W device operating at 100W in a hot (but presumably safe) environment? I know how my computer's CPU slows down when it gets hot, but I'm trying to get my head wrapped around how the concept might translate to inverter performance in the Prius.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Usually the gain of semiconductors drops with elevated temps. This is one of the parameters the engineers must take into account when designing the circuit. So that's one.

Then there is the problem that most of the "conductors" laid down on the die of the semiconductor are aluminum (copper is used sometimes, but precautions have to be taken, as copper is "toxic" to silicon semiconductors). Aluminum will flow in a DC current, and does so faster at elevated temps. This thins out the conductors, and eventually they go into thermal "runaway" (as they get thinner they run hotter, making them get thinner faster, making them get hotter faster.....and they burn out - open circuit, meaning the semiconductor fails). This is one of the main failure modes of micro-processors, but not of power semiconductors, mainly because there is usually room and incentive to make the conductors much larger than they need to be. So you end up with a "life limiting" problem, the hotter you operate the device, the shorter its' life. That's two.

Then there is the most important design parameter for the power semiconductor, the "safe operating area (SOA)". Again, it's plotted as a graph, which looks much like the max. power handling graph, and you absolutely positively MUST stay under the graph line! Failure to do so results in catastrophic sudden failure, literally with smoke and flames (and case destruction)! The SOA is also reduced with temperature. The design engineers tread very carefully here, I know I did whenever I designed a power circuit. I was known to parallel three or more devices (with "ballasting" resistors to ensure the power was shared properly) to ensure I had a 3 to 1 safe margin! The devices were cheap, failure was usually very expensive! I'm betting the Toyota engineers were also very conservative, based on lack of failures in places like Texas and Arizona. So that's three!

There are others, less important perhaps, but it appears the inverter is very well designed, so I think if you stay below the temps already mentioned above in this thread you should be fine.

I haven't programmed my Scangauge to watch inverter temps, perhaps because I don't want to be scared by what I would see. "Head in the sand" syndrome. ;)

I install grill blocking in September, once ambient temps stay below about 15C. I have driven with the grill blocks in, both city and highway, in 20C temps, with engine coolant staying below 105C. The system won't boil until it gets above about 120C (from calculation, not experience!). :)

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I just want to clarify that the high 90s C temperature that I saw as a max (2001 Prius) was from MG1. MG2 max observed was perhaps low 90s C, and the inverter coolant (in inverters 1 and 2) was not seen above the 80s C.

For getting coolants to boil (an undesirable condition!) That would happen at lower temperature in the electrical loop because it is not designed for overpressure. The value may be about 120 C as David suggests, just based on the coolant chemistry. The engine coolant loop will hold pressure to about 14 psi above air pressure (and then the radiator cap valve opens). This should translate into a higher acceptable operating temperature on the engine loop, but I assume that nobody really wants to pressure test their hoses and connections in this way.

One has to work a Prius quite hard to get into the temperature regimes worth discussing. Many drivers never will. However, I would certainly welcome a more informative display, so that under severve operations, we could know better when we are approaching such conditions.

16. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just wanted to bump Hobbits post http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...imum-acceptable-inverter-temp.html#post491484 because I see a lot of people asking similar questions about temps.

From what I've read the ICE tries to stay below 80C and the MG2 and MG1 should be under 60C with highest reported normal readings under worst case as 100C.

I found the same thing in the Repair Manual. These are the limits where the HV ECU increments a counter for each of these events. The dealer can read the count with their Intelligent Tester II -> Powertrain/Hybrid Control/Data List

MG2 temp above 174C
    Transaxle fluid temp above 162C
    MG2 Inverter temp above 111C
    MG1 temp above 111C
    MG1 Inverter above 111C
    Boost Converter temp climbed above 111C
    Inverter Coolant temp climbed above 65C
    Limit Resistor temp above 120C
    Aux battery below 9.5V
    Main battery SoC dropped below 30%
    Instantaneous open detected at IGSW on HV ECU
    Shift lever moved while READY blinking