1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the maximum weight recommended in a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oxo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I recently had to carry several heavy sacks so I searched in the manual to see if there is a recommended maximum weight for a load. Couldn't find anything but when I had a Volvo 240 its manual clearly gave a maximum load in kilos and lbs.

2. martinl

martinl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 6 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]329034[/snapback]</div>

Hmm, I'd like to know this as well. I am going to have to drive to Vegas (obviously due to distance I'd like to take the Prius) to pick up an anvil or two. And I don't want to hurt my car at all.

--vext

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    it's on noted on the drivers side door jam near the tire pressure, at least on the us models. it's a little over 800 pounds. I think it's 840 but I'm not certain.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Owner's Manual - Section 3 - Information before driving your Toyota - Vehicle load limits.

That's page 224 in my U.S. '04 manual. Not sure about the UK manual. 379kg - 835 lbs.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

owners manual under C in the index Cargo and Luggage.... Capacity.
    Edit: sorry Charles when I composed it yours wasn't there.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    839 lbs, 15oz.

About one ounce less than the maximum listed on the door jamb and in the owner's manual.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The sticker on the driver's door jamb of my car indicates 374 kg or 825 lb.

Why is it that a certain poster from Texas always assumes that all owner's manuals for all model years and countries contain the same information as his? Oxo clearly stated that he could not find that information in his owner's manual.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on the passengers, :) 5 people and no luggage might be about it for capacity.

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 6 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]329034[/snapback]</div>
    I carried 13 laminate boxes plus a pad plus self. Total = about 655lbs. I must have hit a hole on the freeway doing only 50MPH and heard something pop. Later at home my right rear fender was popped out. Toyota put a new clip for the fender and that fixed about 95% of the problem. I have yet to crawl under the car to ascertain the problem ( still a small bit of free play on the fender. I believe I neglected to distribute the load equally and that caused the prblem. So should anybody out there attempt 800-850 lbs make sure the load is equal and the tires at bead pressure. After that incident I only carried 10 boxes of laminate (350 lbs), dist equally, and had no more problems.

10. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 6 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]329041[/snapback]</div>
    Uh oh, um....hm.

What sort of bad things happen if you go over that limit by about 70 pounds?
    Hypothetically, of course.

11. Pious

Pious New Member

For the 2007 Prius, pg. 342 of the owners manual states "365kg (810lb.) Total load capacity means combined weight of occupants, cargo and luggage."

Hope this helps.

12. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if one wishes to add more weight to the car, be sure to add more PSI into the tires so they themselfs can support the extra weight ;)

13. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

When I took my Prius to Burning Man, it was so overloaded with stuff that the hitch bike rack on the back of the car was only a few inches off the ground. The whole space behind the front seats was filled to the roof with gear. The hitch rack would hit the ground when going over speed bumps in parking lots and such, and the pin for the rack actually came out on one bump... luckily I had a cable lock which was enough to keep everything together.

I'm glad for the auto-levelling headlights, otherwise I'm sure I would have blinded oncoming traffic.

14. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it's on the door label -- 8 hundred and something pounds.

Another good reason to lose weight!!

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 6 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]329041[/snapback]</div>
    Part 3 of my manual is on p. 247 but there's nothing about a load limits, nor is 'load' in the index.

The door label on the right (driver's side) gives tire pressures with 5 passengers but doesn't mention total load.

The door label on the passenger side has a list of weights starting at 1020kgs and rising to 1725 kgs but I could see no indication of what these figures refer to.

But thanks to all those who have replied that about 835 lbs seems to be the maximum. If there are five occupants with an average weight of 140 lbs that means the people weight would total 700 lbs so it doesn't leave much spare for their luggage.

On the other hand if they were all on their way to a meeting of the Obese Society their total weight might be 1,400 lbs so can the car cope with this? And their luggage?

So presumably the weight quoted as 835 lbs is a TOTAL load weight of the car.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    From the Toyota.ca website:
    Gross vehicle weight - 1721 kg or 3795 lbs
    Curb weight - 1335 kg or 2943 lbs
    Difference - 386 kg or 852 lbs

Curb weight is usually with nobody in the vehicle, and little or no fuel.
    Gross vehicle weight is max. vehicle weight. If heavier, it's overloaded.

Effects of overloading:
    1) tires may be overloaded - check max rating on sidewall - that is with the max pressure on the sidewall, so air up if necessary. Assume they are loaded equally and add all four. To be safe, however, assume they are loaded with 70% balance and use that figure (multiply max load on sidewall by 70% and multiply that by four).
    2) Check the suspension - ensure the car is not riding on the rubber "overload" bumpers when sitting still. If it does a hard bump can break parts.
    3) Check the autolevel sensor on the left rear suspension - make sure you will not damage it with overtravel.
    4) When loaded near max. keep your speed down. This will reduce tire heating, and ensure you do not max out the braking capability of the car. Be aware the tires and brakes will not perform as you are accustomed to. Leave lots of room to stop, and take corners more slowly than you would normally. Go -very- slowly over rough road.

As with any engineered device, there is a "safety factor" built in. Just take care and you will not do damage.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought curb weight includes all the fluids topped us and thus includes the fuel in the tank?

18. curtissac

curtissac New Member

Cur weight does include full fuel. At the curb, ready to drive. The difference between the curb weight and the gross weight is the "payload."

Someone might be confusing this with "useful load" on airplanes. Useful load includes oil, etc, but only unusable fuel.

19. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Manksgloob @ Oct 7 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]329492[/snapback]</div>
    You could end up like these people: http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Overload.htm

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Oct 9 2006, 04:36 AM) [snapback]329981[/snapback]</div>
    Those pictures are amazing. If that car isn't overloaded by at least 2000 lb, I'd be very surprised. If it's a front wheel drive (which I'd assume it is), how does the car get enough traction to move?

Dave M.