1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the most efficient way to drive a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AlbertoC67, Oct 21, 2006.

1. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :) Hy Guys,
    I have another question:
    Is there a special way to drive Prius to obtain a good mileage?
    What are your driving styles on Prius?
    Thanks.
    Alberto - from Italy

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Oct 21 2006, 03:33 AM) [snapback]336038[/snapback]</div>
    Yes: do not drive fast. Do not accelerate hard or brake hard. Just let the car slow down gently when you see a red light, etc ahead.

Before you get in the car, ask yourself, "Is my journey really necessary?"

4. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 21 2006, 06:07 AM) [snapback]336043[/snapback]</div>
    Huh? Not driving is the "most efficient way to drive?"

"Necessary" is a relative term isn't it? Is recreational driving necessary? Yep for me. Gotta get the mountain bike to the trailhead. Gotta get the kayak to the river. Sometimes I just have to ride through a beautiful fall countryside. I just can't parse out my life to the extent that I'd ever ask a question like that....much less suggest somebody else do it.....but, hey, whatever works for you. No flame intended.

5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Oct 21 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]336064[/snapback]</div>
    "Is your journey really necessary?" was an official government question in the UK during WW2. It appeared in newspaper advertisements, on hoardings, etc all over the place. It didn't apply just to cars but to all kinds of journeys.

Perhaps it should be revived nowadays when 'global warming' is becoming a major issue and people are being asked to reduce carbon emissions.

With world oil supplies running out, recreational travel by car and aeroplane should be restricted if not banned.
    [attachmentid=5410]

Attached Files:

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Oct 21 2006, 04:33 AM) [snapback]336038[/snapback]</div>
    There's lot of good tips posted already. I haven't mastered "pulse and glide", since I usually just try to drive with the flow of traffic, and avoid "zoominess and screachiness", i.e., try for smooth acceleration and stops.
    The first 5 minutes is always 25MPG, the next 5 in the 30's, then it gets better, so if you can avoid short trips on a cold engine, you will average better mileage.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pulse & glide will ultimately get you the best mileage but only do so when no one's around.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 21 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]336159[/snapback]</div>
    I'd say "if you can stay with the flow of traffic" instead of when "no one's around". There are a few places where I can PnG and stay in the flow of traffic easily. Other places it would be severely annoying if not dangerous. If the posted speed limit is below 40 mph/65 kmh and if people are tending to stay around that limit then PnG works great. Usually you'll find these situations where the tarffic is pretty heavy and the distance between lights/stop signs isn't great.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 21 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]336102[/snapback]</div>
    Hoardings. Is that the same as "Bill Boards"?

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 21 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]336173[/snapback]</div>
    Oxford English Dict: HOARDING Brit: 1. a large, usually wooden structure used to carry advertisements etc. 2. a board fence erected round a building site etc.

Biographical Dict. of 19th Century Eccentrics: BOARDS, William (aka Bill Boards) (1818-1886) British carpenter who developed many innovative uses of flat, thin strips of timber known as 'boards'. Examples included fitting theatre stages with these to protect the feet of actors so leading to the expression "tread the boards". He also accommodated many travellers in his large house, a practice which became known as 'boarding', hence 'board and lodging'.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Weren't hoardings also a Medieval construction that protected archers from enemy arrows? Sort of like half of a roof?

11. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For Oxo

do not drive fast. Do not accelerate hard or brake hard. Just let the car slow down gently when you see a red light, etc ahead.

Before you get in the car, ask yourself, "Is my journey really necessary?"

So It seem simple to save fuel with Prius: it's the same as all the other cars.

You're right! Sometimes we go around for nothing.
    So It's better, if I have to do them, to do short trips in full EV?
    Bye

12. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 21 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]336041[/snapback]</div>
    Many thanks for the links and sorry for my stupid post.

I haven't a Prius yet, but my next car will be one with the HSD, I don't know if it will be a Prius or the new Toyota Auris.
    Be sure, ONE day I'll drive a Toyota hybrid model, believe me.
    Now my car is not very old (8 years) and go very well, anyway I usually change the car each 10 years.
    Bye

13. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Oct 23 2006, 06:09 AM) [snapback]336680[/snapback]</div>
    No. You will not be able to drive on EV if your petrol engine (ICE) is cold. You will not be able to drive more than about 200 metres on EV when your petrol engine is warm. You will not be able to drive quicker than about 45 kph on EV only

When you first switch on your car in the morning the petrol engine will start automatically because the computer thinks the car should be warmed up.

Remember that most of the time the car's computer will decide which of your two engines to run. If you are slowing down, or going down a hill, the electric engine only will run. But most of the time the petrol engine will run. If you have an EV switch in your car you can use the electric engine only for a very short time but the 200V battery will quickly lose power so the car will decide to turn on the petrol engine to recharge the big battery.

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 23 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]336725[/snapback]</div>
    If you put it in EV before the ICE starts then you can postpone the warm up.

For me that means not warming up the ICE until I get on the main road where I drive above the EV range anyway. To be honest, I can't tell if this helps my fuel economy but I do like not having the engine running at the traffic lights that I have to stop at on my way to the main road.

15. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 23 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]336777[/snapback]</div>
    On mornings with temperature below about 5C my ICE will always start, with or without EV switched on, but it soon stops on the road when I am at lights or going downhill.

Alberto - dove sei? Milano, Venezia, Roma, Napoli?

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Oct 21 2006, 03:33 AM) [snapback]336038[/snapback]</div>
    Slowly!

17. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  18. dachshund

dachshund New Member

Avoid bumper-to-bumper traffic for more than 10 minutes at a stretch. I got stuck in a crawl over the weekend, to the point where the gas engine was running constantly. I was shocked to see I was getting between 0 and 5 MPG. :(

19. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 23 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]336801[/snapback]</div>
    Sai parlare italiano? Grandioso!
    Abito in provincia di Lecco, vicino al famoso lago di Como.
    Mi piacerebbe comprare la Prius e mi sto informando.
    Ciao

20. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 23 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]336917[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean as slowly? I think to drive as a normal citizen and not like a savage.

bye