1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the name of the key blank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Berkeloid, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I'd like to get a copy of the mechanical key found inside the Prius NHW20 key fob (not the immobiliser/smart key, just the mechanical key) but I can't find any information on what sort of a key blank it uses.

I found a post on this forum that said it was a TOY43AT4 but when I search for that I can't find any suppliers in the usual locations, they all seem to be located in the US only (I'm in Australia). So I'm wondering whether the TOY43AT4 is only used in the US version of the car?

Does anyone know what keyway the non-US versions of the cars use, if they are indeed different?

My reason for wanting a copy of the key is that the one in the keyfob is very difficult to turn with the tiny black plastic part so I'm hoping to get a key with a larger head/handle on it to make it easier to turn. I am in the process of installing a 5 kW inverter on the HVDC bus to power a camp site and I want to be able to lock the car with it in 'ready' so it will automatically use the engine to keep the HV battery topped up while the inverter is running. As has been discussed here before, the car won't lock from the outside while it's on but by using the mechanical key you can do it, so I'd just like to make that operation a bit easier on my fingers!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The blank for my 07 is a

Axxess+ 35R. Rubber head blank. If you google thats it’s a common blank.

Get spray can of lubricant with the included red straw and insert the straw in the keyhole shoot some lube in the key hole that’s why it’s so hard to turn.

I hate Wd40 but it’s good for loosening up corroded locks.

3. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info! Will try some WD40 as well.

Not having any luck finding anything by the name "Axxess+ 35R" locally, it also only comes up as available from the US so I'm still not sure whether this is a US-only variant or just a US-only name for a universal keyway.

I found a document that said Axxess 35 (not "R") is equivalent to an Ilco X217 and an Ilco-EZ TR47 but both those results also only return US suppliers which makes me wonder whether they really have fitted the US versions with different locks to other countries.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I understand.

how much is the shipping from here for that small of box I have never shipped to Australia before.

Are there no locksmith shops there? very common here.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s Electronic Parts Catalog lists the same blank key, part number 69515-47010, for all second-generation (NHW20 series, 2004–2009) Prius cars, globally.
    Ilco is part of Dormakaba Group, which I believe trades as Silca in Australia. Here’s a shop in Sydney selling TOY43 blanks, but if you have the key code number, perhaps they could cut one for you.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't have the name or designation for a key blank, but you might consider trying a (non-immobilzer chip) key blank from a locksmith for a similar year Corolla. I am in the US and noticed that the key cross section looks to be the same for my 2006 Prius as 2006 Corolla as 2008 Scion xB.

7. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shipping from the US to Australia is usually prohibitively expensive. Most of the places want US$30 or more to ship one key blank. It's a shame because there's a lot of great stuff for sale in the US generally, and the prices are pretty decent, but it's just too expensive to get it shipped here.

There are probably locksmiths around but I never have much luck at brick and mortar stores, they are usually sold out of whatever it is I want to buy so I find it much easier to buy online. I'd also like to grab a key blank and have a go at cutting it myself, just to see if I can do it, as I've done it successfully with house keys before.

Thanks @Elektroingenieur for confirming it's the same key worldwide, that's very helpful. I closely studied some of the eBay listings for the transponder key blanks and it looks like it is definitely a TOY43, however there is also a TOY43R which is a mirror image of the key and would not fit. It looks like I want a TOY43P which has a plastic head on it, but boy is it ever hard to find someone selling one of these! Everyone wants to sell you either a key with a transponder in it, or a key shell with room for a transponder, but very few places just sell a plain TOY43 without the transponder. The shop you linked to in Sydney seems about the only place I can find that sells them, although in typical fashion I only want one and they only sell in lots of five...

@mr_guy_mann Great idea about checking the other models! I had a good long look at these as it seems the Corolla, RAV4, Echo and a few others all use the TOY43 key (although some use the TOY44 which looks the same profile but the key is longer). Unfortunately they all seem to sell transponder keys - I couldn't find anyone selling a plain key.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Once I find one and cut it I'll report back with how it goes.

Elektroingenieur likes this.