1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the Parking Assist package and why is it so cheap?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Sep 10, 2023.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I was looking at the available packages for my allocated prius and noticed that for like $35 it comes with “Front and Rear Parking Assist” with auto braking.

What exactly does this package add and why does it cost so little? I cant imagine anything substantial in terms of tech is being built into the car for so little money…is it just a software update/activation?

If this is listed on the website for my allocated prius does that mean it is coming with it by default?

2. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What model are you buying?
    It's optional on the LE ($35) and comes standard on the XLE and Limited. If you're getting an XLE or Limited, the dealer shouldn't be charging for it - question it. I've seen dealers try to charge for things that come default - like $135 for a 12.3" infotaiment screen that's standard on a Limited. Question it - it's not a legit charge.

The feature is the front and rear cameras that show your car in relation to the cars & objects around you.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not the front camera - that's part of a much bigger tech thing, the Advanced Park.

And the rear camera is standard on all trims (and possibly legally mandated by now).

Not 100% sure, as the US and Europe safety bits don't quite align.

It could be the parking assist sensors, although I thought they were standard.

It could also be the souped-up rear camera ("parking assist monitor") that has guide lines, wide-angle setting, camera washer, Rear Camera Detection. The basic (legal minimum?) one is just a camera with no controls.

Or maybe those last two combined?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seems to be ultra sonic sensors that lets the car scream at you when you get too close to an object at low speeds, like when parking. It appears every LE shipped to the US has it. I suspect it was intended to be standard for all, but Toyota was hedging bets in the feature listings in case of parts shortages. The $35 might be a reflection of how likely they thought not having it would be, or it is literally the cost of the single widget that could possibly be in short supply.

At the height the chip shortage, Toyota was offering models without some standard features as an option. This could be a holdover from then in their system.