1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the point of being at this site when....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by kettledrum, Aug 15, 2007.

1. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ...over 90% of one's posts are in FHOP and not related to the site topic at all?

Someone please enlighten me? There are several people here that fit this description.

I would never even venture into FHOP except for those posts get put on the front page of this site in the "latest threads" when they are updated with new posts.

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

it's a place for general shooting the breeze, is how I look at it.

There just isn't a lot of pruis news anymore I guess

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Aug 15 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]496027[/snapback]</div>
    I'm one of those people with 75% or more of my posts in FHOP. Why? The Prius is pretty boring. There is not much in the way of accessories to make it handle better and I'm not into electronic gizmos. It doesn't break down so I don't need info on fixing it. I'm not into pulse and glide and all the other fuel economy stuff that goes on in fuel economy. So for me, there is not much to say about the Prius. However, there is lots to say about the world as a whole and some of the other threads are interesting.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 15 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]496031[/snapback]</div>
    There will always be more news in general than specific Prius news.

Tom

5. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 15 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]496031[/snapback]</div>
    For me, while any Prius news is interesting, and certainly some of the threads generate some interesting discussion, my world does not just revolve around the car. I am finding, more and more, that I enjoy some of the FHOP threads as I get used to the personalities involved and find that we have more in common than just our interest/love in all things Prius.

So why not shoot the breeze with some like minded people? ;)

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I started out not touching FHOP... but i got bored with the same old questions revolving around and around in the other topics, and came down here looking for something new

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that, while some of the topics aren't directly related to the Prius, the car seems to push a lot of buttons somehow...so, for me, the political discussion isn't totally unexpected.

I usually cruise around to see if there are newer posters who might (or probably, might not) benefit from something that I've read here before...once done with that, I do tend to go over to FHOP, and enter the fray.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because it's fun setting ignorant people straight.

Now you understand? :lol: ;)

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose we're still 'discussing' the definition of ignorance, right, SPE? :)

FHOP isn't a total food-fight, kettledrum. There are people who love heated political arguments, to be sure, and people who are very certain of their viewpoints, and people who seem to have the natural ability to piss people off, and people who apparently have nothing better to do. On a good day, they're different people. ;)

10. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Isn't the whole point of FHOP that it is an "Off Topic" forum?

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find that the philosophical meeting of minds is reminiscent of coffee shops, back in the day when there were coffee shops where minds could meet to discuss philosophy.

And, it's a great place to come to when you just want to get into a (respectful) knock-down, drag-out over religion/sex/politics. :D

Oh, and we all drove here in our Prii, so it's even better!

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Aug 15 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]496027[/snapback]</div>
    Guess after 3 1/2 years, the Prius is just a car. It's the Xebra that's the hot new fun car. Maybe I'm getting bored with Prius topics. Maybe I should switch to Xebrachat. But I've got so many friends here...

13. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can see getting bored with the same old questions day in and day out over on the main board over a long period of time....you've seen it all and it just isn't interesting anymore. I don't think that's what I'm referring to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Aug 15 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]496406[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a problem with an off-topic forum at all. I didn't mean in that way if that's what you got out of it. I think it's definitely needed. My perception is that there are those that have *zero* interest in the Prius, hybrids, anything of the nature and solely exist on this board to start or the "religion/sex/politics" mudslinging.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 15 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]496041[/snapback]</div>
    Actually it looks like 35% on your profile. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 15 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]496402[/snapback]</div>
    Not yet anyway, it's not even election year yet. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 15 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]496402[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is what I'm talking about. It's rather depressing to me. :(

14. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Aug 15 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]496492[/snapback]</div>
    You and that Xebra, I hate to knock it since I've never actually been in one, but I swear I saw one out on some country roads and it is so slow I saw an Amish guy give it the finger as he passed it his Buggy. :) j/k

15. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Aug 16 2007, 04:27 AM) [snapback]496783[/snapback]</div>
    Got to agree with you. Not to sound melodramatic but it seems like a waste. I also understand that others will completely disagree. Seems like something more constructive could be done with that energy.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Aug 15 2007, 05:15 AM) [snapback]496027[/snapback]</div>
    It wasn't the case when the Prius was new (2nd Gen)...so wait til the 3rd one comes out.

Also, we had a lot fewer members back then. More people = more opinions.

17. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 15 2007, 05:23 AM) [snapback]496031[/snapback]</div>

many technical facts are found by searching, this has great value for newbies, anything new you have is always pounced on because the rest of us want new content too....what'cha got? somm'fin good I hope. :)

18. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Aug 16 2007, 06:27 AM) [snapback]496783[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I don't see this. Most of the FHOP chatters I've seen also contribute (or have in the past) to the other forums. Sometimes it is that you get tired of reading the same question for the 100th time, and you're looking for something new. Not that FHOP can't be recycled as well...

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i do a lot of posting on the off-topic stuff now, while keeping an eye out for technical questions that need an expert.