1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the power of the Plug-In Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by sipnfuel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much power can the battery in the Plug-In Prius deliver to power MG2 and provide torque to the wheels? I looked on Toyota's website and Wikipedia Prius Plug-in page but did not find the answer.

That is to say, there may be a situation where there is plenty of charge, but if you exceed the power of the battery, the ICE will have to kick in to assist. Such a situation may be merging into traffic, making unprotected turns, speeding up avoiding a road hazard, going up a steep hill, etc.

It would definitely defeat the purpose for me, if on certain portions of my trip (under 62 mph), the ICE has to kick in even when there is plenty of charge.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know but I'm not sure if the above numbers would help you w/your question about defeating the purpose. I was able to get the ICE to kick in upon semi-hard acceleration on the PHV Priuses were drove at GDE. I was well under 62 mph.

When EV mode is on and there's sufficient charge, it is calibrated to stay in EV MUCH more so than the non-PHV Priuses.

You might be able to test it yourself at AltCar Expo but it's unclear if they'll have the demo vehicles or the final production version.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The maximum battery power output is 27 kW.

This is according to Toyota press materials distributed for the Frankfurt 2011 auto show where the production Prius Plug-in was announced.

This is a bit less than half of the power that MG2 is rated for (60 kW).

1 person likes this.
  4. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I should add that the 27 kW value is suspiciously identical to the maximum power output of the NiMH battery pack in the 3rd generation Prius.

So, this could be mistake in the document and the Plug-in's Lithium pack output really is higher or Toyota may artificially constrain the Lithium pack output to be the same as the regular 3rd generation Prius because of limitations in other shared power train components.

This could also be a limitation to protect the battery from excessive stress. Typical Lithium chemistry batteries will age faster the harder you charge and discharge them and this can become significant for rates above 5C or so.

The Volt battery can put out 60 kW at a leisurely 4C (3.75 * 16 kWh) but the Prius battery could be straining at 14C (13.6 * 4.4 kWh).

As far as I can tell, nobody knows the Lithium chemistry of the production Prius Plug-in cathode and anode and Toyota isn't saying yet.

1 person likes this.
  5. EVdriver

EVdriver Junior Member

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The design is intended to deliver a big efficiency improvement, not a pure EV experience. Prius is a hybrid after all.

I suspect the kW/hp values we've seen matching the current battery output are correct. Yes, that means the traction motor is still being underutilized without the engine also contributing electricity.

There are 4 sub-packs within. I get the impression they behave like the current battery we have now, but offer much greater overall capacity and I bet they can tolerate the burden of sustained depletion better. They should make thermal management easier too. Software monitoring operating temperature could swap them in & out much like servers do to keep memory from getting too hot.

1 person likes this.
  7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ICE may kick in, but Charge depletion will not stop, keeping power delivery from batt at a certain rate...
    Or not? :confused:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending upon how you define "pure EV experience" one could agree or not with this statement. Certainly that first 15 miles is intended to be very EV-like.

Really? Do you have a source for that?

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, in addition to the power question, there is the energy question. From your comment about 'even when there is plenty of charge', I infer that you are expecting to run out of battery energy frequently. Whenever you do, it doesn't matter that you used some gasoline to accelerate up a hill. The only time it would defeat the purpose is when you finish the day with some juice left in the battery. That is, a typical day of driving would be less than 14 miles.

If it is truly your purpose to only drive in EV mode, you would probably be better off with a Leaf.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Effortless EV in the burbs for errand running will be fantastic. But it's not like I won't take advantage of the EV/HV toggle from time to time.

As for source, sorry, I don't have a link handy. It was during the Frankfort reveal time, a silent video titled "technical" for the production model. You could clearly see the change.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here you go.

3 people like this.
  12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NiMH HV battery does 21C (20.6 * 1.31 kWh), probably short burst about 10 seconds for heavy acceleration and braking.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, that's more technical info on the battery than they gave us at the presser in San Fran! There's some patent stuff pending and then we should get a lot more details.

15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In my mind, pure EV experience means I can floor it and the car stays in EV mode with a full charge.

The test drive in Richmond showed that this was nowhere near the case. Flooring the car at 1 mph resulted in an instant ICE turn-on.

16. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps the Fisker Karma is more for you:

2012 Fisker Karma | Technology - EVer Powertrain, Solar Roof, Command Center

The Karma is an awesome serial hybrid, 22" wheels, 125MPH top speed, less pollution emited than a Prius, 50 miles of EV range (from its 23KW battery pack), and a motor-generator that puts out 175KW to power its 2 rear 150KW wheel motors, with the MG running, you get a total of 300 miles of range. talk about an awesome performance car, with a price to match ($95K-$109K).

The Karma is a no compromise great EV, and a good hybrid as well. Of course its a luxury hybrid, and not deisgned for the same "audience" as a Prius, plug in or not :)

17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Flooring a car means the driver wants to go forward at maximum power. If the car is a split hybrid like the Prius (designed with lean approach, thus more elegant and wise project), it means putting everything on full power.

If floored in Park position, also turns on the ICE, for warm-up cycle also.

EV experience may be a good feeling, but requires EV hardware. EV experience with an ICE on the lap makes less sense, because ICE is meant to be run when necessary.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And with the tax credits, it might cost you the same as the Prius.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EV experience comes with EV charge time and EV range.

20. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Q: What is the power of the Plug-In Battery?

A: 0.275 Volts

[Chevy Volts that is ;)]