1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the source of this sound?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil 29 Palms CA, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When my Prius C is in the garage for awhile and then I open the driver door to get in the car there is always the sound of a running motor - "rrrrrrrrr" coming from the engine compartment. The sound is of a motor running. The sound always lasts the same lenght of time - about 9 seconds. Then the sound stops. Since it happens all the time, I think it is part of the Prius C computer start-up software program. CAN ANYONE REPLY AND TELL ME THE SOURCE OF THIS MOTOR RUNNING. Is it the power steering motor or a fuel, oil or cooling pump? I would appreciate a reply! thanks! PHIL. 29 Palms, CA.

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
  3. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid system works most efficiently when it is warm so the folks at Toyota have tried to help it along using the heated coolant from your last drive. Basically when you turn off the car a small amount of heated coolant is kept in a reservoir. The next time you get ready to start the car (when you open the door) the warm coolant is pumped out of the reservoir with the intent of speeding up the warming process and getting the hybrid system working at peak efficiency. The pump is activated when you open the door, be it five minutes after to shut down the car or eight hours.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius C does not have the coolant reservoir like the Gen 2's do. I think what you are hearing is the brake pump keeping the system pressure to whatever pressure it is supposed to.

5. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When I open the driver side door to get into the Prius C I here a motor sound like "rrrrrrrrr" coming from the engine compartment. The sound lasts for about 9 seconds then stops. It occurs every time I enter the car. I think it is part of the Prius C start-up software program. CAN anyone reply and tell me: What is the source of this sound? Is it a power steering, brake or coolin pump motor? PLEASE REPLY.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's the brake boost pump building up pressure.

7. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you brucepmiller. Your reply seens to be the best reply answer. I tried finding an answer in my owners manual with no luck. Where do you get your information to some hard to know questions? Is it in Prius Chat? PHIL 29 Palms

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not ultra great with exact information for the Prius c but I thought the Prius c used the exhaust heat recovery system introduced with the Gen III Prius doing away with the coolant reservoir that was found in the Gen II which is what brucepmiller is referring to.

So as I said, the sound you hear when you open the door is IMO more than likely the brake boost pump building up pressure, same as it does in the Gen III Prius when the drivers door is opened.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get most of the info you need by typing key words into search and reading the pertinent threads that come up. there is a wealth of info and most questions have been asked many time sin many ways. all the best!

10. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The service manager at Toyota told me the C had the coolant reservoir but after reading responses from Oldwolf and Paradox I would put my money on them.

11. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your service manager needs to do some homework. The coolant reservoir disappeared with the Gen II Prius.

brucepmiller likes this.