1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the wait time for carpool sticker replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joyjit, Jun 18, 2008.

1. joyjit

joyjit New Member

This is for California...

My 2005 prius was hit in the parking lot by some one else.

I need to get my fender as well as the rear-right-side panel (what you call that one?) replaced and painted.

Anyone knows what the wait time is for getting replacement Carpool stickers from California DMV (I am in SF Bay Area)?

Further, I checked the "Other" box in the replacement sticker application form, is that the right thing to do? (My stickers are not yet damaged, but when the body shop works on it, they will need to be replaced).

Do I still need to send in my old stickers? (that would be not so good...)

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it's about 3-4 weeks (which I know is a bummer).
    I'm not sure which box to check. But you need to explain that the stickers were damaged. Whatever box indicates that the stickers were damaged.
    And you have to send them all in (if you have them) or explain why you don't have them.
    You also need to send a copy of the police report OR a copy of the body shop work order. The body shop should remove the stickers and leave them in the car for you.

In your situation, knowing what I know now, I would remove the stickers before taking the car to the body shop and send them in with the appropriate paperwork as soon as possible. (use a hair dryer to heat the adhesive; that makes them very easy to remove without damage to the paint). Unfortunately, I think you really have to wait until you have the final paperwork from the body shop; otherwise you could have the clock ticking while the car is being worked on. I don't know how to finesse that, but if you figure out a way, let us know.

You should include a check for $8, of course.

If you don't have everything the first time, you add to the delay, because they will kick it back and request the missing items (this happened to me).:mad:

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just went through the replacement sticker process when my rear bumper was hit. It took 8 weeks to get the new stickers. I mailed in 3 to DMV and kept one that was removed with a hair dryer which the body shop placed on a piece of paper which I taped to the inside of the back glass to continue using the car pool lanes. I was never stopped and this time (this is my 3rd set of stickers due to jerks hitting my rear bumper) placed one of the small stickers on the small hatch glass on the right side and put none on the rear bumper. I got tired of having to replace them and jump through all of their hoops, (penalty of perjury, first born, 1 kidney, etc.). Yeah, yeah, I know what the diagram tells you to do with the 3 stickers on the rear bumper. Hopefully the CHP have good enough vision to see the bright yellow sticker on my tinted rear hatch window....