1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the worst mpg you've gotten intentionally?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by iregret, Feb 20, 2018.

1. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure if anyone has really done this, but if you drove your Prius Prime as hard as possible, while still plugging in at night or during the day, what kind of mpg would you get?

I'm sure most are breaking records using gas as little as possible, but I'm wondering what people are getting on the other end of the spectrum.

Cheers!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Easy:
    • reset the trip meter when the engine first starts
    • drive as slow as possible for 1-2 minutes
    • report your engine warm-up MPG
    For example this winter I misjudged my remaining charge and the engine started its warm-up about 1/2 mile from home. So I reset the trip meter and soon turned into our 25 mph posted neighborhood. The first tripmeter update was ~36 MPG and the one at the driveway ~45 MPG.

Many years ago, Top Gear did a stunt where a BMW followed at race driver in a Prius and only got ~17 MPG. So I went to one of my benchmark routes and knowing the Prius control laws, I remember getting ~12 MPG.

Bob Wilson

albus and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    or just sit in your car while car is parked and the front defroster is running.:eek:

Wuzki and bwilson4web like this.
  4. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    5 mpg is the worst, charge mode on, claiming hill for an mile. Gives me 5 mpg lmao

vvillovv likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depends, If you drive all EV only miles the car will show your MPG as 199.9 no matter how hard you drive it.
    ( twin screw towing a triple, barefoot in the snow over donner ) Donner Pass - Wikipedia
    I suspect driving a prius up a steep, snowy and cold mountain pass, in charge mode at 65 mph might be one of them - "OPpppp" Homer S

#5 vvillovv, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our previous Civic Hybrid spent about a month in a collision shop, and when we got it back the liters/100 km display was at 29, translates to 8 mpg US. :cry:

vvillovv likes this.
  7. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Reset the odometer, then go in for a smog check as the engine idles for a while on the service bay...

8. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You don't even need to sit in it...:)

I guess I'm missing the point here..It's easy to contrive near-zero MPG cases...
    It's easy to get crappy mileage going up a hill (Anyone in Colorado want to reset their trip meter before climbing pikes peak?)
    But hills are only so long and eventually you go down.

9. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not saying create a situation for worst mpg, im saying, if you drove the car hard with no regard to mpg, what does that end up as at the end of the day? Can the Prius get 55mpg around town in stop and go?

10. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In my experience with several generation of Prii, it's very hard to get a tankful below the 30's...It would not be hard to average in the 40's with poor driving habits and poor driving conditions. I'm sure if you truly don't care about MPG (which doesn't seem to be the case since you are asking) then you could push the car below 30mpg average by flooring it between stoplights...

11. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Last July I drove from Massachusetts to Arkansas in 2 days, averaging 71 miles per hour.
    It was in the 90's all the way down, air conditioner in use. I left with a full charge.

When I was on the highway, I put the car in HV & charge mode. When ever I left the highway, I used EV mode.

I got 53 mpg

jp